Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Sonikku » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Kenny wrote:
phpBB [video]

last page bump.

phpBB [video]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Peter wrote: Seriously am I supposed to be enjoying this, "The Last Of Us" game? It goes from boring to ridiculously hard. Then back to boring. I thought this was supposed to be one of this generations best games :???:

Well Peter it says Game of The Generation Edition right on the box!! That's not something a marketing team would lie about. Surely? :P
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:19 pm

I deleted my post. It's just frustrating as fuck!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Sonikku wrote:
Peter wrote: Seriously am I supposed to be enjoying this, "The Last Of Us" game? It goes from boring to ridiculously hard. Then back to boring. I thought this was supposed to be one of this generations best games :???:

Well Peter it says Game of The Generation Edition right on the box!! That's not something a marketing team would lie about. Surely? :P

Actually retract my previous statement. It is getting good. And also like how you actually have to be smart about it. Hmmmmmm I stand corrected.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm

If it's that difficult, I may have to try it soon. I'm not personally all that interested in the "human drama" part of it, which is what mainly gets people raving; I love post-apocalyptic settings, but people yelling at eachother and being mad because life is just so hard now just feels so... played out. Part of why I don't give two shits about The Walking Dead.
But as a horror game (which I guess it qualifies, right?), difficulty can sometimes be the greatest contributor to making things tense and scary. And that's one area where, honestly, most horror games fail a bit; they generally aren't very difficult. The one exception I can mention is the Siren series which, similar to TLoU (I think), focuses a lot on stealth.
So yeah, might want to try it now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Well, stealth games are supposed to be difficult.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Depends on what one is looking for. I mean, you could really say the same for every type of game. Games are all about challenge, right? But then, some people like to be taken on a ride as well. Depends on taste.

That being said, I do prefer stealth to be difficult, more often than not. Just so long as it ain't rigid. Nothing worse than a rigidly difficult stealth game. I like some leeway to improvise.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Oh yeah, no point in it being rigid. Definitely not in this day n age, but personally I don't understand people who'd like stealth games, but not the challenge of it. Unless it's one of the Arkham games. Nothing should be a challenge for Batman.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Despite being a bit different, the Arkham games had periods of the same frustration as I have had tonight with Last of Us. But I got over my grump and I am now immersed in it. You need to give it time so you can become familiar with various things. Like how to use materials and which types of infected attack and search depending on who they are. I want to say it's like Splinter Cell meets Resident Evil, but it's not. That's where my appreciation level has really begun to rise for this game. Its as unique as a came can be in this day and age. Im not too sure how far I am into the story though, but hopefully it's not a short game.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:56 pm

You got frustrated with the Arkham games? The only thing I found slightly frustrating is not doing everything perfectly as Batman would. It's possibly one of the easiest stealth games out there. I think only Conviction and having ridiculously over-powered stealth stats in Oblivion are easier (seriously, Oblivion's boring as it is, imagine going through half the game being unseen by anything just because you're crouching...)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

What difficulty mode are you on? Normal?

I can tell you that for some people who have never played it, even easy can be abit of a challenge (even though now I consider it a joke) But get on up to Hard and thats where the sweet spot is. Survior mode is where I like it though, listening mode is taken away, supplies are scarce, enemies have hightened senses. And then theirs Grounded mode. UI is taken away, enemies 1-2 hit kill you, supplies exist but are so low 2 bullets are like a god send.

For a game all about story and atmosphere the gameplay itself is actually the best thing about the game when it all boils down to why it deserves being award worthy. Then factor in that the multiplayer is actually very good and theirs not much negative to find imo besides the occasional mele glitch in a door way.
And then the music and sound design.. if any game was worth the budget this one was it.
/gushing

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:01 pm

I remember it being pretty hard sometimes. Those infected insect things are pretty keen listeners.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Sounds like I'll bump it up to hard mode for my first playthrough.
I don't often do that, but it sounds pretty good in this case.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:09 pm

This looks so good. I'm not even that big a fan of the Alien films, but the gameplay is right up my alley. I already knew the basic idea behind this, but actually seeing it in action is something else. Sort of a Clock Tower/Siren/Penumbra-style mashup, where you're totally defenseless but being constantly stalked. I love that whole idea, and I've always been a bit baffled as to why it doesn't get used more. Perfect setup for horror.
I'll hold out for actual reviews (since Alien-related games are incredibly hit-or-miss), but this is shaping up nicely so far.
Unfortunately the guy keeps talking over the entire video, but it's easy to get a feel for it anyway.

phpBB [video]

OL has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:10 pm

^Is that the latest Alien game?

I played it at E3. It was pretty cool. They even had a big ass HR Giger inspired...tent hut thing where you can play the game inside in complete darkness and full audio blasting. But I wouldn't mind playing that again when it comes out.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming