Small Tidbit Gaming News

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Small Tidbit Gaming News

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 am

Summary of Yoko Taro's GDC conference:

Yoko said he has spent 20 years trying to move players with his games, but has failed. He failed to break through that invisible wall, into the grey area of gaming, to tap into its full potential, which, to him, is being able to emotionally affect the player in an extreme or otherwise substantial way. However, he still believes in their potential, which is what he was attempting to outline throughout his panel, and that’s the reason he was at GDC today. He wasn’t able to overcome that wall in 20 years, Yoko said, but stated that if members of the audience could attempt to challenge that same invisible wall over the next 20 years, it could amount to 200 years worth of work.

Yoko ended his presentation by asking that the audience—many of which he assumed were much younger than him—take advantage of the fact that they were born with computers and networks around them, and that they possessed skills different from his. The potential for videogames is limitless, Yoko said, and that he would like for everyone to break the wall and step over to the other side.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/20/ni ... ired-9-11/

Keiji Inafune Would Still Like To Make Mega Man Legends 3

Speaking with US Gamer, Comcept’s Keiji Inafune says he would still like to make Mega Man Legends 3. In fact, it’s the game he wants to make most.

“If somebody asked, even right now, what’s the game you want to create most? It’s still Legends 3,” Inafune said to the site. “I put so much effort into that game, so much passion into that game, but it didn’t happen. It’s always a regret in my mind. Even now…”

“We all know that’s not going to happen, though, as long as Capcom holds the IP,” Inafune continued. “But if they asked me to make that game, I could still gather most of the original team, even right now. Some of them have quit Capcom, some of them are still at Capcom, but I believe that team would be passionate enough to come back together and create that game. So… we’ll see what’s going to happen. You never know.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/21/ke ... legends-3/

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Yoko said he has spent 20 years trying to move players with his games, but has failed.

:lol:
I think the rabid cult fanbase that sprung up around Nier would beg to differ.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Axm wrote: So MS has a clause aparently in its agreements with indie devs stating the Xbox version of a game would have to come out the same day as the competition if they want to make it available on Xbox. Efectively cock blocking the PS4 or Wii U(lol) from getting any timed exclusives. Touche MS..its an effective business strategy I guess.. eww..
Adam Boyes, our friendly neighborhood Sony used games sales man and Shenmue acknowledger fired back with a blank page list of who they dont allow a game to release on before Sony's.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-f ... 0-6418280/

isnt more like they are cock blocking themselves? Wouldnt devs be like, ok fine, well we will release our games on PS4 and Wii U since MS wants to be picky about how that dev can release their own game. I mean a multi-plat release should come out on all at the same time anyway, but MS is gonna miss out on games that could move their systems. Imagine if a game got so popular on say Android, iOS, PS4, Wii U etc, to the point it was a gaming staple, and MS had successfully fucked themselves out of having it because of that stupid policy. On the flip side they are trying to interrogate devs into letting them get everything first instead, based on how bad that particular dev wants their game on xbox one, surely most of the devs will see past that stupid tactic.

Axm wrote: other news, I thought this was nice of him to say. Although it sure does come more into perspective for him when MS has been receiving alot of the backlash from the gaming community. Naturally you dont want to have it continue especially if it effects the mainstream audience.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/micros ... 0-6418288/

This article just made me want to shoot myself in the face. Console elitists are bad enough as it is, much less the discussion and philosophy about why they even exist. I want my 5 minutes back.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:06 pm

So it looks like Xseed is actually bringing over Akiba's Trip 2 for the PS3 and Vita.
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/06/xseed ... is-summer/
The original was on PSP, and I was always a bit disappointed that it never came west. It's an incredibly unlikely series to get released in the west either way, since it basically involves hunting vampires and uncovering them by -- yup -- tearing their clothes off. Hence the name Akiba'STRIP.
Good old Japan.

Putting the hentai-influenced goofiness aside, I was always most interested in it for the fact that it takes place in an open world version of Akihabara, where you can run around exploring and get into fights, Yakuza-style.

phpBB [video]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:57 am

The Last of Us coming to PS4 this summer.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Axm
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Axm » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:08 pm

No wonder I kept seeing it randomly in PS4 montages back at E3. Sick!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Damn, another one?
What the hell is going on with the development of Uncharted 4 that people are leaving mid-cycle?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

People move on. It happens more often then we know of. They obviously want to leave on a good note professionally before a project kicks into high gear. When people find better job opportunities else where sitting on it isnt usually the best idea. Atleast in the western sense..
While Japanese obviously feel a more cultural social pressured obligation to stay with one company for life.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm

I understand that, it just seems weird for two major components to be leaving right in the middle of development on Uncharted 4. I mean... this is the director. And earlier on, the original creative lead for the first three games. Both in the span of a month, no less.
Just makes things feel a bit fishy.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 am

Plus its not just at ND but a couple Sony studios have seen people leave or let go.

Several members from the Drive Club team are now gone and Sony simply have its release date as TBA and the God of War team has seen several departures.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:35 am

It is rather alarming that both of the directors of Uncharted 4 have now left. And yeah, been hearing quite a few game directors/designers have left/been outed from Sony now in rapid succession, like WRC says. Wonder what's going on over there.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: It is rather alarming that both of the directors of Uncharted 4 have now left. And yeah, been hearing quite a few game directors/designers have left/been outed from Sony now in rapid succession, like WRC says. Wonder what's going on over there.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/27/ ... -happened/

Seems legit..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:58 pm

^About that - This just happened [Driveclub's former game director speaks about GAF's "Sony insider"]:

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

So basically the insider guy sounds like he's just making assumptions about a lot of things happening at Sony. Things will hopefully sort themselves out and other people will step up to the new positions as directors/designers.

Iron Galaxy who handled the port of Street Fighter 3: Online Edition HD will be taking over the development duties on the Killer Instinct series:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/27/ir ... -instinct/
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

Phil Spencer takes over the XBox division which is a good pick IMO

http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/xbox-one-a-new-day-at-xbox