Small Tidbit Gaming News

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Small Tidbit Gaming News Thread

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:01 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: I wouldn't consider half a mill a success [unless of course the game cost very little to make] on a console that's sold just under 100M units.

And if saying XBox never has and never will do great in Japan is defending MS then :-s

People have this misconception everything needs to sell over a million or like Call of Duty to be called a success. That statement you made is arguing just to argue. So quite frankly your wrong opinion on if those are good sales doesn't matter when both Developer and Publisher consider it a success. That's like saying Devil May Cry was not a success on a PS2. Gee only sold 1 million on a system that has sold 155 Million. It's idiotic.
Last edited by Bluecast on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:10 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: I wouldn't consider half a mill a success [unless of course the game cost very little to make] on a console that's sold just under 100M units.

And if saying XBox never has and never will do great in Japan is defending MS then :-s

No offense but you, like most people. Don't really understand how this stuff works.

You don't consider half a mil a success? Well tough cookies, Nintendo, MistWalker and Xseed sure do. They're kind of doin alright for themselves since all three keep posting profits.

On the other side of that, Eidos has been taking losses all over the place. Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs all hit over 1 mill, but were failures.

Did you know Animal Crossing for 3DS has sold more copies then all three of those titles combined in Japan alone? BTW the 3DS obviously isn't at an install base of 100 mil.

The install base means very little. Sure theres exceptions, you guys need to start looking at the big picture. (though to be fair there are actually videogame companies that don't look at that picture either)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:41 am

You must have missed/ignored the part where I said unless it didn't cost much to make meaning 500K was a profit.

Know how business works thankyou very much.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 am

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/tale-of- ... ga/0118482

A good article comparing E3 from its birth in 1995 and PlayStation's introduction against this years show.

Some small revelations such as Sony to wanting their branding on the original packaging because they didn't have much faith in PlayStation at the time. And after being buffed by Nintendo, they also approached Sega on a hardware collaboration before once again being shooed away by the board in Japan..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 am

Oh SEGA if only you knew.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:37 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/11/capco ... mong-them/

Capcom layoffs, Senior VP Christian Svensson among them.

Another dumb move from Capcom. Shocking....
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 pm

It seems like when the chips are down, one will inevitably hasten the downward spiral already in progress rather than save itself. It's a mentality shared by people, businesses and governments alike.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 am

I know it won't mean anything to most here, but I'm kind of excited by it anyway.
A new game coming from Project Aces, the Namco team responsible for the Ace Combat series.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/11/na ... developer/
And of course there's practically no info whatsoever on it, aside from the fact that it'll presumably be a flight sim. But whatever, an announcement is welcome anyway.
I'm not incredibly well-versed in the Ace Combat series (I've only played the majority of Assault Horizon, which, despite the fact that I loved it, was a bit maligned by most long-time Ace Combat fans), but it is a series I'm incredibly interested in. And I thought Assault Horizon's dogfight mode was one of the most sorely underappreciated game mechanics of this past generation, so I hope that it'll make a reappearance in whatever it is they're working on.
Eager to find out what it is.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Sega sues bankrupt THQ for $941,710.93 over Company of Heroes 2 Steam pre-orders
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... pre-orders
Sega is suing bankrupt publisher THQ for £630,000 over Company of Heroes 2 pre-orders on Steam.

Sega filed a claim with the Delaware US Bankruptcy Court worth $941,710.93, which is the amount Valve paid THQ for pre-orders of the World War 2 real-time strategy game through Steam.

There were 20,755 pre-orders for CoH2 registered through Steam from September 2012 to 24th January 2013. That generated revenue of $1,345,301.29, but, as is standard, Valve takes a 30 per cent cut of Steam sales, leaving publishers and developers with 70 per cent - in this case $941k.

Of the amount it claims it's owed by THQ, Sega said $508,877.85 is entitled to priority because Valve paid the money to THQ after 19th December 2012, the day it filed for bankruptcy protection.

Sega bought Company of Heroes developer Relic Entertainment and the Company of Heroes IP for $26.6 million after THQ's assets were put up for sale.

Sega joins the long list of potential creditors, who collectively claim they're owned over $200 million by THQ.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby OL » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Segata mentioned it elsewhere, but I think the announcement itself is more appropriate for this topic:
phpBB [video]

I like it. Sure, it's an upgrade to a years-old fighting game, but it seems like a damn good upgrade.
I imagine a loooooot of people are happy about Rolento being back. I had a small group of friends in the late-90s who played Street Fighter Alpha 2 a lot, and they all seemed to love the hell out of Rolento.

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:43 pm

how many versions of SF4 have they come out with now? O_O *milk milk milk*
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Rolento is my favourite character from Final Fight. You know that I love Final Fight to bits anyway, right? So I guess I'll have to rebuy Street Fighter 4 again now. Pleasantly surprised by Poison's inclusion too.

The milking is crazy at this point though.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:56 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: how many versions of SF4 have they come out with now? O_O *milk milk milk*

You know theres like 7 versions of Street fighter 2 right? Fighting games are an iterative genre based on match mentality and competitive play. How do you pay for dedicated servers with heavy usage if people buy the game once (usually at lower price then standard) and without changing the game itself (look at how SFplays compared to SF2, compared to SF3, Compared to 4, you can't just add characters and call it 5 THATS milking)

This is fair, and this is how it should be, because this is how it has always been. The stuff thats bullshit is like SFxT locking characters behind a binary wall, or UMvC3 forcing players to double dip instead of upgrading.

Capcom saying "Hey that game you bought like 4 years ago, pay 15$ and it becomes a completely new game" thats not milking man.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Wow, they even have segata brain washed. Come back to the light segata, and Capcom you are drunk go home.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming