Small Tidbit Gaming News

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Small Tidbit Gaming News Thread

Postby Kenny » Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't want to declare they're making profits unless I know what their losses are first.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Wed May 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:

Wii U will miss out on 15 EA games because the hardware can't run FrostBite 3
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... e-engine-3

That's what we're told to believe at least. EA once all but insisted there was simply no way Battlefield 3 could "possibly" run on anything less than DirectX 11 video cards and indeed, the game would not even boot up if your video card did not have that feature. Low and behold it works on DX9 limited Xbox. If they wanted to make it work, they could. Just as they did with Battlefield. Maybe not with all the bells and whistles, but certainly in some capacity. Maybe it just wasn't worth their while in making it work. Or maybe something else is at play from a business stand point they just don't want to acknowledge.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Kenny wrote:I don't want to declare they're making profits unless I know what their losses are first.

Oh they're in the red in certain divisions but not in playstation or film which has traditionally always proped up the company since people stoped buying discmans and more competition on TV's came out. They still have plenty of money to poor into their computers, tablets, phones, cameras and music. Im not calling them a great company as they consolodate and hire contractors alot but they get it done.
Excuse me while I hop on this conference call with Kaz.
Last edited by Axm on Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Didn't Sony only make a profit from selling buildings?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Wii U can run CE3 and UT4. So I don't buy it EA. They are just pissed about the Origin thing
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Didn't Sony only make a profit from selling buildings?

No they did that on top of the profit they already made.
Thats why I like Sony. They're also into realestate. aka.. "Why does my work have a different logo and name now?"
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Real Estate is big business and just about anyone can do it.

Once I found out my own family does it and certain movie studios do it (cause you're not gonna make money from movies alone), I decided I'm going to look into it myself for my own company as a side thing.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:
Wii U will miss out on 15 EA games because the hardware can't run FrostBite 3
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... e-engine-3

Regardless of if it can run it or not, thats a pretty huge slap in the face to Nintendo. Saying basically "we dont need you to make money". And if others recognize this too then there goes a grip of 3rd party support and the U will be in a worse position than in Gamecube days.
Damn can anyone remember the last system to loose EA support? Owch.. Dont want to make that comparison but there you go.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Retro had a NFL game and a Mario Football game in the works way back hwen before Nintendo had everything cancelled in favor of Metroid Prime. So very possible they bring it back. They used to do sports games like Ken Griffey Jr,NBA Courtside and almost had a MLB game out on Cube but was canceled. So who knows.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Wed May 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Im sure if they really wanted to get back into sports they could but why even try? EA and 2K already dominate that arena. Why bother. Id rather them focus on the traditional stuff or new IP's.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Axm wrote: Im sure if they really wanted to get back into sports they could but why even try? EA and 2K already dominate that arena. Why bother. Id rather them focus on the traditional stuff or new IP's.

Nintendo has close to 70 IP's and show every gen they brings tons of them. People just don;t like to take notice. They publish and create internal new IP's every gen. Not all make it west,in fact most don't sadly. Not to mention they now co own Fatal Frame. So they are fine on the creating new IP's what they need to do is being more to the west and esp to the US. Iwata taking over NOA and saying he wants more Japanese games is probably a sign you may see more.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Father of PlayStation, Ken Kuturagi is named External Director of Marvelous AQL.

Former Sony chairman and CEO, and the man widely regarded as “the father of the PlayStation console”, has been named an External Director at video games publisher Marvelous AQL, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei) reported today.

According to Nikkei, the move would allow Marvelous AQL to capitalise on Kutaragi’s expertise on the video games industry to speed up developments in the company’s business both in Japan and overseas.

Recently Marvelous AQL also made headlines after it acquired Atlus Online, the developer behin Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine, and changed the name of their subsidiary in the US, Xseed games, to Marvelous USA.

Kutaragi will officially assume the post in June at a Marvelous AQL board meeting.

Ken Kutaragi is also the the founder, president and CEO of Cyber AI Entertainment Inc. Although it was not mentioned in the Nikkei story, typically external directors are not required to leave their current jobs for the new post, so this is unlikely to affect his duties there. He has also served on the boards of Kadokawa Group Holdings, Inc., Nojima Corporation, and Rakuten, Inc.

http://sgcafe.com/2013/05/ken-kutaragi- ... elous-aql/

Weird.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm

So Xseed is now Marvelous and Ken is involved atleast externally.That is weird. But ok cool. Also he's with Rakuten.. Very big company in Japan..
The man is everywhere.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

It's confusing but it's like this:

Parent company: Marvelous AQL (Marvelous and AQ Interactive merged) who also publish a lot of games in both Japanese and Western territories (No More Heroes series, Harvest Moon series which they also develop).
XSEED are technically renaming themselves to Mervelous USA but are keeping their original brand name (which is XSEED)
Marvelous AQL are also a game developer which comprises of former members of Cavia (Nier, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), Artoon (Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Half Minute Hero) and Feelplus (Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Shadow Hearts series). The latest developed game from Marvelous AQL was Soul Sacrifice.

So there you have it, that's who Marvelous AQL are, in case anybody was wondering.

My guess is that they are going to continue their support for Vita extensively.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Axm
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 am

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/09/tr ... e-company/

Yuichiro Kitao has left Tri Ace after 14 years
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming