Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:23 pm

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 am

That trailer was tucking AMAZING to us old school fans. The story looks really strong on the mindfuck and it is such a beautiful game. Kojima going out on a high note.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Well I've been playing Peace Walker HD the last few days to try and catch up with the series in time for MGSV. The credits rolled and everything seemed fine until afterwards it told me I had to keep playing for the 'real' ending. There wasn't anything to say what I had too do so like a bitch I looked at an online guide. Well fuck doing all that! I did 2 of these side missions you have to do and have no motivation to go any further. They want me too do about 30 side missions and then meet a bunch of random requirements that aren't really that fun to reach.

I'm thinking of doing what I did with Arkham Knight and just looking at the true ending on Youtube. Sure there are certain side missions I enjoy but all this stuff just feels all so pointless and time wasting. I wouldn't mind if they made some new missions for the end, instead you have to beat a few side missions and then randomly get a mission where you're dropped in a map and have to find a guy hiding. It just feels like filler and nothing more.

As much as I love playing video games and find no fun in stuff like Let's Plays I'm going to just watch the secret ending on Youtube when you expect me to do crap like that. I'm not going to spend hours finding every Riddler trophy in Batman or find every Dalmatian in Kingdom Hearts, I just don't enjoy those parts.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Well I've been playing Peace Walker HD the last few days to try and catch up with the series in time for MGSV. The credits rolled and everything seemed fine until afterwards it told me I had to keep playing for the 'real' ending. There wasn't anything to say what I had too do so like a bitch I looked at an online guide. Well fuck doing all that! I did 2 of these side missions you have to do and have no motivation to go any further. They want me too do about 30 side missions and then meet a bunch of random requirements that aren't really that fun to reach.

I'm thinking of doing what I did with Arkham Knight and just looking at the true ending on Youtube. Sure there are certain side missions I enjoy but all this stuff just feels all so pointless and time wasting. I wouldn't mind if they made some new missions for the end, instead you have to beat a few side missions and then randomly get a mission where you're dropped in a map and have to find a guy hiding. It just feels like filler and nothing more.

As much as I love playing video games and find no fun in stuff like Let's Plays I'm going to just watch the secret ending on Youtube when you expect me to do crap like that. I'm not going to spend hours finding every Riddler trophy in Batman or find every Dalmatian in Kingdom Hearts, I just don't enjoy those parts.

Oh god don't even get me started on the stupid templar flags or whatever they were in Assassins creed.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Well I've been playing Peace Walker HD the last few days to try and catch up with the series in time for MGSV. The credits rolled and everything seemed fine until afterwards it told me I had to keep playing for the 'real' ending. There wasn't anything to say what I had too do so like a bitch I looked at an online guide. Well fuck doing all that! I did 2 of these side missions you have to do and have no motivation to go any further. They want me too do about 30 side missions and then meet a bunch of random requirements that aren't really that fun to reach.

Peace Walker is easily my least favourite MGS game, and I think the reason why is a combination of the fact I played it on console first, as opposed to PSP, and that everything was such a fucking grrriiiiiiiiiiiiinnnndddd.

I honestly enjoyed a number of aspects of Mother Base's micro-management, but when it came to things such as controls, bosses (especially bosses :evil: ), navigation, the amount of time and resources necessary to build certain new equipment, and that many parts of the game simply didn't feel right and were flat-out boring, I just can't bring myself to liking it all that much. As a PSP game, it's a technical marvel; as part of the Metal Gear lore, it's very worthy; but I don't find it a strong title overall.

I'm counting down the days 'til The Phantom Pain, however, and I have no doubt it's going to be fucking amazing, right down to the refined (and fixed) parts from Peace Walker. If I could be put into a coma 'til late August, I'd do it in a heartbeat :P
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

-

Postby danny » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 am

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Thief
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm also playing Peace Walker now - just started "Chapter 5", so we'll see how it goes. I agree that it's not at the same level as the other games in the series, but concessions had to be made to design it as a PSP game, so I'm ok with it. Though I guess you can argue against this coming out on PSP if it's supposed to be a significant part of the series.

It is a little grindy, but I love the army building aspect. I can't wait for it to be fully realized and refined for MGS:V. This could possibly be the penultimate MGS game. Full, open world stealth (The gameplay in Ground Zeroes was very promising). The timeline coming back full circle to the first Metal Gear. Big Boss, Liquid, Solid Snake. The full-on Darth Vaderization of Big Boss. Outer Heaven becoming a global threat.

PS - Kojima you beautiful, perverted bastard ("Date with Paz" Mission)
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote: I'm also playing Peace Walker now - just started "Chapter 5", so we'll see how it goes. I agree that it's not at the same level as the other games in the series, but concessions had to be made to design it as a PSP game, so I'm ok with it. Though I guess you can argue against this coming out on PSP if it's supposed to be a significant part of the series.

It is a little grindy, but I love the army building aspect.

The thing was I never had to grind. I never found any of the mech battles hard but because they're clearly designed to be done by 4 people they just end up taking forever. It would have made sense for them to maybe just give each mech a 1/4 of it's life whenever you play it solo to save wasting 10 minutes of your time.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:53 pm

im just not excited for MGS5 at all right now. Shame cause I really was earlier, but after all the konami bull shit I'm not even considering playing this game, or buying it. Maybe later on down the line once its dirt cheap in the used bin, but Konami is certainly not getting a penny from me for this game, no way. I just cant morally support them after what they have done and said. Sucks it has to be like that, but it has to.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:14 pm

In the context of it being the final Hideo Kojima Metal Gear game, for real this time (no more, "hahah, he will be back for the next one" nonsense), makes it exciting for me.

I'm also excited since the trailers haven't really revealed what the game's main plot is actually about at all (and they've only teased the boss unit in that last trailer), so there's more of a mystery element there this time. All that we know is that Big Boss is going crazy in this game, some really dark stuff will take place and that's it. I like that there's so much we don't know about.

This will be the final Metal Gear game I shall be personally buying new and in my own mind, the final real Metal Gear game, just like how I never bothered with the post Team Silent, Silent Hill titles, same for me with the post Kojima Productions Metal Gear games.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby shredingskin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:34 pm

MGS sould have stopped at II.

There were some very interesting games and stories around it. But I think Kojima was more keen on ending it at 2 than doing warparounds in nonsense story.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:32 am

Respected Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei has published an article that paints a bleak picture of embattled game company Konami.

The Nikkei article is in Japanese, and requires a subscription to access, but translators this morning have revealed the information it includes.

Freelance game localiser Thomas James says Nikkei reveals $80m had been spent on the development of Metal Gear Solid 5 as of April 2015. No doubt more has been spent since. Kojima's exit from the company is already confirmed, and his developer, Kojima Productions, disbanded.

Apparently the culture at Konami's game division started to deteriorate in 2010, when mobile game Dragon Collection became a smash hit. As a low-cost development, margin and profit were high - in stark contrast to costly console game creation.

Nikkei notes the creator of Love Plus has already left the company, but it adds development on the Suikoden series has been halted as well.

The article claims email with outsiders is done with a randomised email address that is changed regularly. Lunch breaks are said to be regulated with time cards, and those who take too much time are "outed".

Employees who are "deemed useless" have been known to be given assembly line work at Konami's pachi-slot machine factory, been ordered to work as security guards, and even made to clean up at fitness clubs.

Dr. Serkan Toto, CEO of a Tokyo-based game industry consultancy, reports Nikkei claims Kojima "fell from grace" because Metal Gear Solid 5 had been delayed.

If true, this ties into the rumour that Kojima's exit has to do with Konami's upper brass refusing to continue to bankroll Kojima's ballooning development demands.

We've asked Konami for comment on the Nikkei article.

Kojima Productions now appears to be closed. Its website and Twitter accounts have been removed, while the Kojima Productions LA subsidiary studio has been renamed Konami Los Angeles Studio.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 am

Ya pretty much 5 is the last MGS ill buy outright new, just cause its still kojima and i'm hype AF. Anything else in the future ill buy used bargain bin.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 pm

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Snakiest » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:39 pm

I really wanted it, but luckily I am busy. Luckily because I refuse to pay for ground zeroes one more time on steam and am going to wait for a stand alone release. Or a discount. If only everyone did that, that'd teach them.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming