Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

-

Postby danny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby OL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Nah, you're good, it all sounded convoluted enough that I won't remember the specifics. The thing's only supposed to be about demo-length in terms of story to begin with, so it wouldn't have been that big on spoilers anyway.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:26 pm

I wasn't going to get this right when it came out because I told myself I'd be responsible and focus entirely on school this semester... but forget that nonsense! METAL GEAR V!!!!!
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

-

Postby danny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:27 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:59 am

I am praying to Mars that this game arrives on my doorstep today.

EDIT: IT'S ARRIVED! I'M PLAYING METAL GEAR SOLID V! MGHTEBXBEHHCBSBA!

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

-

Postby danny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:19 am

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
danny

Postby OL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:19 am

This is gonna be a hard one not to speed through. I'm telling myself that I really want to savor it and take my time with it, but I'm really hyped to see where the story goes.
I think now that I'm a bit more used to the overall style of it (the use of shaky cam rather than more conventional cinematic style, the lack of Hayter, the open world, and even the unreasonably advance technology), I feel a bit more accepting of where things are in it, and it's really got me pretty hyped up. Just based on some of the imagery from trailers and all, I almost expect this to be sort of... "artful" compared to past games.
I only hope Kojima was smart enough to wrap the story up by the end so we're not left dangling. He's losing his baby, and anything after this will just be fan fiction.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm hoping anything afterwards will be apps that no one will give a shit about. Though if they make a revamped app of Ac!d, I'll be totally on board for that.

And danny--SPOILER TAGS!! Use spoiler tags for long ass posts full of pics and stuff!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:05 am

Oh man, that opening section is just...one of the best ever in a video game. This game is such a mindfuck. I have no idea what the hell is going on and I'm loving it. So many questions and the game is really dark. So glad for it to be like this again after how goofy MGS4 was. And people need not worry after how cut back MGS4's Codec was, MGS5's is back in a big way, through the tape cassettes which are hidden in the iDroid which contain practically all of the back story and lots of the political commentary that the series is known for. There's also plenty of Radio chatter too, it's in real time now. The game also has loads of 80s music you can listen to during a mission. The game is just stunning to look at. And I can see myself devoting the rest of my waking life to customising and upgrading Mother Base, just looking around it, it's like being back at Big Shell again.

Oh, and DD (the wolf pup) is so, so cute. I've barely scratched the surface, but there's just so much content and I'm unable to access the online content at the moment, due to getting it far before what I am supposed to. I cannot wait to invade someone else's Mother Base online, Dark Souls style and steal their shit. This game is so good and really seems to be worth the really long wait. Here's hoping the story holds up till the end.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 am

Got my copy Friday. Just finished Until Dawn a few hours ago so will play Ground Zeros today and move onto Phantom Pain...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 pm

You lucky fucks.

The lot of ya.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Ohhh, Until Dawn, that's defo another I want to play a lot too. Any good, Riku?

And yeah, MGSV is soooo good, mmm, my god. Nom, nom, nom. Seriously good. Extremely good. So good that I may just say it's game of the year... already at around 10+ hours in (and only 8% complete), lives up to the Metal Gear of the PSX and PS2 eras kind of good.

A have a couple of things that I have mixed feelings about, but on the whole, it's an incredible game to play. This is the game Kojima wanted to make when he created MGS4 and Peace Walker, those both were experiments...this is the main course. True open world stealth-action. And it tastes so good.

I'd liken MGS4 to eating a three part starter at your favourite restaurant, it initially tastes good but as you eat it, it gets worse and worse until you want to leave the restaurant then the chef (Kojima) is saying "no, please, let me give you my special dish, it's fresh and unique unlike anything else on the menu" then you eat it (Peace Walker) and feel that it's just bland and okay, but with something there that if done better would be worth having again in the future. Then you return again after a break from the place and eat the new starter (Ground Zeroes) and it wets your appetite so much but are left to wait a long time for the main until you're about to leave and then the chef gives you the main course, which is not only huge but full of the best tasting food you've had all year, with some of the food from the bland tasting food from the last time, now with actual depth and good taste behind it. Then you find out the chef is quitting after giving you his final meal at this restaurant...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:54 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Ohhh, Until Dawn, that's defo another I want to play a lot too. Any good, Riku?

If you like Heavy Rain and Cabin in the Woods it'll be right up your alley. I'm not sure how different the story can differ but I was quite happy with how mine went and I'll be interested in what they do next. It made me think of Shenmue with how you can pick up items and turn them in your hand the exact same way you do in the Hazuki residence. Being a story driven game though it's hard to say much about the game other than I would recommend it, I can see Kenny being a big fan.

Well I've played about 2-3 hours of MGSV. It's a beautiful game for sure and it opens with a bang. I've always preferred 1&2 in the series as I liked the Die Hard type claustrophobic feeling of being in one area the whole game, but it sure was fun scouting a base from a distance and then coming up with your own plan to infiltrate. I've still barely scratched the surface so my main take away is that it feels great to control and looks beautiful. My main complaint is that I think I've heard Keifer say about 5 lines. I wasn't calling for anyone's head over David Hayter not being in the game (as much as I'd like it) but it feels like they've cut back on his lines.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 am

Plot twist- Snake is actually Big Boss' father, who fathers his own father, so he can be fathered in the future, in the past, having time traveled by piloting Metal Gear DOC, a walking tank that in addition to launching nukes can go backwards and forwards in time.

Turns out Snake created the Patriots and caused the events of the entire series out of boredom.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:17 am

It kind of makes me sick, that the entire gaming industry didn't boycott this game sigh.

Scumbag Konami is not only plagiarising here, they are actively going out of their way to try, and outright erase Kojima from history its self. Any mention or proof of him anywhere tied to any projects involving/ties he ever had to Konami, they're trying to get rid of.

How the bloody hell the Japanese government is letting Konami pull this shit(among a million other atrocities they are pulling), I do not understand.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming