Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Nowadays? Not really, unless you're talking about TV series, like Game of Thrones; which is going for £30. The movies in this line-up are around the £10-15 range, besides blu-rays of films normally have loads of special features, Ground Zeroes only seems to have like one DLC mission for each console.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-releases ... =293962011
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Nowadays? Not really, unless you're talking about TV series, like Game of Thrones; which is going for £30. The movies in this line-up are around the £10-15 range, besides blu-rays of films normally have loads of special features, Ground Zeroes only seems to have like one DLC mission for each console.

well this one is around the same price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-2D-BLU-RAY ... 1076432988

and all the special features don't really beat the interaction of a video game. I'm pretty sure most outlets won't sell it at the rrp meaning amazon, shopto, and zavvi will probably have it at around 20-30% than the announced price. but I'm more curious as to what has this got to do with my original joke?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:16 pm

They can only get away with it because they know fans/idiots like me will buy it and play it so many times waiting for TPP that we will have justified our purchase lol. Doesn't make it right though
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:39 pm

I doubt it was Kojimas decision. Sounds like the suits at Konami squeezing every last drop of profit..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:28 pm

south carmain wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Nowadays? Not really, unless you're talking about TV series, like Game of Thrones; which is going for £30. The movies in this line-up are around the £10-15 range, besides blu-rays of films normally have loads of special features, Ground Zeroes only seems to have like one DLC mission for each console.

well this one is around the same price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-2D-BLU-RAY ... 1076432988

and all the special features don't really beat the interaction of a video game. I'm pretty sure most outlets won't sell it at the rrp meaning amazon, shopto, and zavvi will probably have it at around 20-30% than the announced price.

Yeah, yeah whatever, justify it all you want.

but I'm more curious as to what has this got to do with my original joke?

It wasn't funny.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 pm

lol what's with the passive aggressiveness? calm down m8 don't take a simple joke so personal

and if you're going to list stuff on amazon that aren't rrp it's unfair to compare them to the announced rrp price of mgs even if this has got nothing to do with what I originally said just like it's unfair to compare the price of someting you buy and can use at will to a movie ticket which is valid for one viewing only. if anyone here is going to extraordinary lengths to justify their argument (which was kind of random in the first place) it's you, not me.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:06 pm

MGSV: The Phantom Pain releasing in FY3/2015 or FY3/2016 depending on development

Note:

FY3/2015: April 2014 - March 2015
FY3/2016: April 2015 - March 2016

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764384

That's a fucking long time between the "prologue" and the main game. Remember when Kojima said the FOX engine would speed up development?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 pm

That's ridiculous for that length of time. It seemed close to being done. Why possibly extend it 2 more years
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 am

Price dropped due to complaints about the length

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... es-cheaper
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Raithos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 am

Nice, looks like they're making all physical versions of the game the same price. Hope they do that here, but I doubt it. I already decided I'm holding off on it until I get a PS4 anyway.

edit: yep they cut the price here too. might end up picking up the PS4 early then, not sure yet.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Deta » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:33 pm

New E3 trailer!
phpBB [video]
Deta
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 am

Really not sure how exactly I feel about that trailer. Some things I like and looks fine and others im just like no, just no. So big boss is gonna have a fucked up story im guessing? Im honestly not that sure how interested I am in his story. Arent we basically playing the villian in this one? im on the fence.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 am

Well that's the thing about Big Boss, that over the course of however many games, they've made it clearer and clearer that he's always had his reasons for doing what he eventually does. He goes through shitstorm after shitstorm, and it ends up distorting his whole perception of "nations" and "allegiances." The whole point of it all is that he isn't really a "villain." He doesn't do the things he ends up doing for villainous means; he does them because his ideologies have changed and he's become disillusioned with the "good guys" we think we know.
It's all gray area.

That said, I'm kind of going back and forth on whether I'm interested in this one or not. It almost feels -- if this makes sense -- like Kojima wants to backpedal on the established MGS attitude. It's like, people were a bit put off by all of the goofiness present in MGS4 (and it certainly was quite a bit goofier than previous games), so Kojima is trying to remedy that by making this one super duper deadly effing SERIOUS, bro.
Really, as serious as the previous games could get, there was still always this "action movie" vibe to it that made it fun, not just in a gameplay sense, but in regards to personality. This one, however, seems like every single bit of lightheartedness has been removed. I may be wrong of course, but that's the constant vibe that everything released so far is giving off. Even the old "cinematic" style of the cutscenes has been replaced by this sort of handheld "in the action" style, where entire scenes are presented through one long camera shot, as if to make it more "realistic."
Not really a fan of that. It makes it feel a bit soulless.
I can't even imagine them releasing a trailer for this one and having some kind of cardboard box gag at the end of the video, or a joke about GTA, like in one of the trailers for MGS3. It all just seems way too serious for any of that. And when that's the case... it's just a bit worrying.

OL has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Axm
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Deta » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:53 am

Now when you mention it. I didnt even think about that, the humor for me in mgs was kinda obvious always. Yeah the trailers seems brutal and dark but havent we always knew that big boss story was kinda dark.
Deta

Postby ys » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 am

With this new gameplay information I'm less sure about what I think actually. It looks like I will wait a bit and see how the game turns out instead of preordering/jumping to a new platform.

I really like the seriousness OL discussed though. I don't mind the silly stuff in earlier games since that quirky aspect makes the series what it is. But MGS4 is my least favorite (partly) because I found it to be too goofy, almost embarrassing, at times. It somehow felt disconnected, compared to the game as a whole.
Didn't Kojima leave more responsibilities to others that time around? Like getting Payton to bring in more "Hollywood influences"? It could explain why certain parts felt less integrated and less in line with previous entries.

One example of a serious game that blended humor well is Max Payne 3 I think. It's mostly dead serious but has some funny lines here and there that still fit the characters and general heavy atmosphere vibe.

Henry Spencer wrote:That's a fucking long time between the "prologue" and the main game. Remember when Kojima said the FOX engine would speed up development?

Kojima says a lot of things. Like his plan to have trees in MGS4 that can grow and die. Or wanting to hand over the series to his team after basically every game since MGS2. But since they don't have the right spirit, he needs to come back every time.
But I can understand that actually, having created (and mixed/mastered) music myself. Your creation is kind of a part of you, so it's hard not to step in when things don't develop according to your vision.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming