D4

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

D4

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 pm

The creator behind the great game "Deadly Premonition" Mr. Swery is bringing a awesome new murder mystery to the XBOXONE. Nope its not Deadly Premonition 2. Its called "D4" and it looks pretty darn good.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d4/b/ ... x-one.aspx
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Re: D4

Postby white lotus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Why did they skip D3?

white lotus has received 2 thanks from: Nahovil, Yama
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Its not the D series ;-) Full title is Dark Dreams Don’t Die

Who Really Cares? has received 3 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 pm

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Ri_oh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 pm

I know Sweary has said this game has nothing to do with WARP's franchise, but the font, the main character being named David (David is a common name, yes. But it's another link to WARP's games) and the setting are all very reminiscent. I hope it turns out to actually be a spiritual successor of some kind.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh

Postby Yama » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:46 am

One of the games I'd buy if a One falls into my posession somehow.

Yama has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:30 pm

I might be the only one who's gotten this vibe, but does "Swery" strike anyone else as kind of an annoying narcissist by this point? I mean, seriously... "From acclaimed director Swery65?"
Acclaimed?
For what... one game?
A single game which was wildly divisive across the entire gaming community?
I think it's a little early to be claiming greatness in the guy after one game. Sure, he also did Spy Fiction -- which I actually enjoyed -- but nobody gave two shits at the time.
And even the "Swery65" moniker strikes me as a little too reminiscent of a certain someone else...
I realize it's a number pun, but that along with the way he strives to do weird shit in an effort to be artistic and expressive? How very original.

I'm also trying not to outright claim D4 as a ripoff of something else... but come on. Scenes of a passenger jet crashing, paired with a white expanse of snow, all under the title "D4?"
Seriously? And so soon after Kenji Eno's passing.
Not to mention the fact that Spy Fiction, as much as I enjoyed it, was an obvious swipe of the MGS series, while Deadly Premonition was just a weirder Twin Peaks...
People are really just letting him get away with this shit? And not only that, but praising him for all of it at the same time?
I don't really get it. Granted, I have yet to play all the way through Deadly Premonition; it might be a great game for all I know. But that doesn't make the swiping any less apparent.

OL has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 pm

SWERY just rips things off wholesale. If you want further confirmation, just look at this favourite games of all time list he put together on Twitter when someone asked him: MGS, Flower, Sun & Rain, Snatcher, D and a few others I have left out. It's pretty obvious by now that the guy is a huge fan of Hideo Kojima, Kenji Eno & Goichi Suda. He even stated on Twitter that he'd love to be able to work with Suda on a project. I don't really mind finally being able to play D2 though, even if it is the cheesy remake version I'll be playing.

I do like the aesthetics of this one though. Finally looks like Access Games can make games look current gen (PS3/360) but are developing it for next-gen. Kinda ironic, they'll always be stuck one gen behind on the tech front.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Ri_oh » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm

OL wrote: I might be the only one who's gotten this vibe, but does "Swery" strike anyone else as kind of an annoying narcissist by this point? I mean, seriously... "From acclaimed director Swery65?"
Acclaimed?
For what... one game?
A single game which was wildly divisive across the entire gaming community?
I think it's a little early to be claiming greatness in the guy after one game. Sure, he also did Spy Fiction -- which I actually enjoyed -- but nobody gave two shits at the time.
And even the "Swery65" moniker strikes me as a little too reminiscent of a certain someone else...
I realize it's a number pun, but that along with the way he strives to do weird shit in an effort to be artistic and expressive? How very original.

I'm also trying not to outright claim D4 as a ripoff of something else... but come on. Scenes of a passenger jet crashing, paired with a white expanse of snow, all under the title "D4?"
Seriously? And so soon after Kenji Eno's passing.
Not to mention the fact that Spy Fiction, as much as I enjoyed it, was an obvious swipe of the MGS series, while Deadly Premonition was just a weirder Twin Peaks...
People are really just letting him get away with this shit? And not only that, but praising him for all of it at the same time?
I don't really get it. Granted, I have yet to play all the way through Deadly Premonition; it might be a great game for all I know. But that doesn't make the swiping any less apparent.

Good point. Though i do like DP, it is only one game.
Not sure if i get why the similarities between d2 and d4 are offensive though..?
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Not that they're offensive or anything. The similarities just point to it being another obvious "borrowing," just like he seems to do with all of his games. Though it does irk me at least a little that this is coming out now, after Kenji Eno's (the creator of D2) passing earlier this year. There's no one around to say "Dude... you're stealing my stuff."
But like I said, I don't want to actually dub it a ripoff just yet, since all we've seen is this little teaser. There could be a lot more to it. I just kind of doubt it, based on what I know of his other works.

OL has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Ri_oh » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am

Ah, I see what you mean. If it were a continuation, or "spiritual successor" to the WARP franchise that's one thing. But if it's not, I can see your point. Sweary would be pushing it pretty far.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:17 am

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III