Beyond Two Souls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Beyond Two Souls

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder of Beyond two souls from Amazon and just getting the digital version from PSN. If you preorder a game on PSN how does it work? Does your PS3 automatically download the game for you on midnight? And how big of a file is Beyond two souls I can't download a game that is 40GB in size it would take too much space in my HDD. Is why I didn't download the free Uncharted 3 game for PS plus the file size is 40GB.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Yama » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:53 pm

I just wouldn't. Surely you'd be happy to have a disc based version down the road, especially if you get the LE.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:04 pm

I check PSN and it doesn't seem like they have a Day 1 digital version of Beyond Two souls. So I preorder Beyond two souls again on Amazon.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:28 pm

weird how IGN gave Beyond two souls a 6 and Gamespot a 9. Usually gamespot gives lower score than IGN and IGN loves giving games 9 and 10's. Beyond two souls is getting mixed reviews but I don't care I'm still getting the game.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 am

I'm probably pulling a Ryudo and repeating myself a little too much with this one, but don't pay attention to scores. It's pointless. A 6 tells you no more about the game than a 9 does. Just play the games that interest you and draw your own conclusions.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Still I can't help but go "oof" at the low scores this is getting. Cage must be in a rage :(
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Based on what little I played, I'm not surprised by the low scores. The novelty of this kind of game has worn off, people are now expecting storytelling on a grand scale with this format. Anything less will just piss them off.

Cage should've gone with the Kara demo and expanded that. I still think that would've been a badass story.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I am almost beating the game and I'm not too impressed by the story it's rather confusing. The way the story is told is a mess. You play one part when she's a child then when she's older then when she's a teenager and back and forth it's rather confusing.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

I really like it, but I knew exactly what kind of game to expect from their previous titles. I can understand if the demo turned people off though, its completely random and leaves you saying "what the hell." But the gameplay was definitely what I expected, and works rather well the way they have implemented the controls now. I go through the scenes not even thinking about the actions and just do them. Honestly feels more fluid than the demo, even the same scenes.

But I think people are looking at the game wrong to be honest. It seems like a lot including some reviewers are mentioning the story as a downside, that it's either dull or confusing. To me they are missing the big picture, Jodie IS the story. There is a "main arc" so to speak, but she's the focus. You get to see how one event affects this girl from the day she is born. I've played for around 10 hours now (I know, I'm hooked) and you learn everything there is to know about her, by actually seeing it play out. It jumps around but it all makes sense if you pay attention to the details from one scene to the next, and watch all the flashbacks you can. You see her at sanity's end when shes older in one scene, then as an innocent youth the next. For me that makes each part of the game have a deeper impact. But I know that won't be the case for everyone, and that's OK. I feel this game is one of those where you either love it or hate it.

Beyond: Two Souls is science fiction to the bone, and I love it.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Beyond Two Souls

Postby Axm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:02 pm

I think im half way into it atm. Pretty cool game so far. The story is good, gameplay inventive and its an engrossing experience all around.

Anyone else notice how taxing this game is though on the system? Granted the graphics are top notch and theirs alot of stuff going on in the game to process probably but man.. It seems like my PS3 is being worked to death while playing this.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah I can hear the strain it's putting on my PS3. More than once it's taken what I would consider too long to load and I honestly wondered if my system was on it's way out. The last few releases have really pushed it to the max
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:37 pm

I put the demo on background download and an hour and a half later, it reached 8%.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I've completed the game. I knew what I was getting into and it more or less met my expectations. Unlike Heavy Rain, your choices don't seem to weigh in as much. Despite multiple endings, they're not as drastically different from one another as you'd expect. The replay here will come from pure enjoyment and multiple choices, but not in how it affects the outcome just the momentary situation. The story was somewhat jumbled, though I cared enough about the lead to enjoy it.

Visually the game is fantastic, stunning in some areas. Control wise it can be clunky, though I respect some of the design decisions, they simply needed to be executed properly. For instance, there is no map or HUD, the camera leads the player where they need to be. Without being on rails this can be tough to achieve. The system works flawlessly in some areas, horrid in others. Aiden's controls are passable and the seamless transitions make him enjoyable to control. During my play through playing as Aiden was great fun at times, though occasionally took me out of the moment.

For a single title I enjoyed the engine, though it isn't something I'd ask for more of. Instead I'd ask for more of what made the game what I feel is a solid experience and that is a well crafted and grounded sense of reality. While there are complaints in regards to the acting, I do feel it's a step up from Heavy Rain. There are chapters here that are brilliant and others that are forgettable. Overall a decent amount of the content sticks with me post completion and that's all I can ask for from a game as such.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Kenny
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:48 pm

I still plan on picking it up, though this time for cheaper.

If I was in a higher position, I'd harass Cage to make the next Omikron. Or Kara. Fuck, i'd invest in those projects just to have them made.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:53 pm

I just finished the game too. Well Yama took the words out of my mouth. The acting was a step up from Heavy Rain, especially in regards to William Dafoe who fit his role perfectly. He stole the show for me.
The controls while yes were clunky at times and had no type of hud or directional assist, to me im fine without it in favor of the more cinematic feel.
And wow was the game just the epitome of how to make you feel like you are playing a movie. Almost, just almost to the point you regret not having more control over your character but enough to the point where you can still call it a game and make mistakes.
The soundtrack was also very good. Like The Last of Us, it enhanced the story telling. Although still, The Last of Us was better in virtually all aspects besides maybe graphics. My PS3 was working hard as fuhh while playing this. Honestly id replay it right now but I dont want to tax my PS3 so hard again.

Overall I give it a solid 4/5.

The choices I made in the game were built around giving Jodie more freedom and ability to love and live life. So naturally I choose things like having sex/saving/relationship with Ryan, choosing life and telling William Dafoe to snap out of it etc.. next time around I will basically try and tell everyone to screw off and see how that plays out. Also.. does anyone get the feeling a sequel will come of this? The ending, while quite conclusive and satisfying enough left things open for the future. Aiden is still around and the evil CIA technology isnt going anywhere.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming