YouTube Content ID Claims

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: YouTube Content ID Claims

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:He had already lost them if I remember right?

I don't think so? I seem to remember he kept moving his post into General from the Creative forum and Pete moved it back. Ryudo argued he needed it for disability payments :-s

Kenny wrote:And this whole thing is about Intellectual Property Theft. The suits are not liking that full Let's Plays, Full Soundtracks, and all that crap are being showcased because it violates their copyright. But I also believe they think that by doing this, people are not going to pay for the product and they lose out on funds (like they prefer people to blindly buy their product instead of watching a good chunk of it for free and making their decision not to waste their money on it if they don't like it).

When I heard the likes of Nintendo and Music companies were seizing the advertising revenue from those type of videos, I didn't really care. It's their content and they don't really add any commentary except for the stupid Pewdie Pie-like "jokes". But what bothers me if that they really wanna target people who do retrospectives, parodies, and documentaries. Those have more work put into them and actually have a goal of informing and entertaining the public with original content (like OL's SPG series and AVGN). I think those should be left alone.

I have a couple of really popular videos on my own channel (one has over 2 million views) but I don't monetize them. I didn't make them, it's not my content. I just put it up for other people to see it. One of them is being monetized by another company, but that's cause it's a song from one of their albums and i'm totally fine with that. Again, it's not my content. What really pisses me off is people who blatantly put up content that isn't theirs and attempt to monetize off of it.

A friend of mine posted some of his 3D animations on YouTube a few years back but refused to place pop-up adverts on them. Those sorts of things have made YouTube such an annoyance to use recently.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:28 pm

I'd stick ads on any of my videos to make a little money (if I owned all the material) If peeps don't like it, then it's their problem for not using Firefox and Adblocker.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby lavrentis » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Live Leak?
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby QWERTY » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44851
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:01 am

:lol: ah yes.

And after all that the forum was killed off in a month or 2.

Aren't most people moving to Twitch now to post videos or is that more live streaming?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:49 am

people with videogame content don't need to worry seeing that only the name, code and music are usually copyrighted in video games. They have no right to tell you to bring down self captured imagery of said video games.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 am

Didn't SEGA recently have stuff taken down from a really old game?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Raithos » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Didn't SEGA recently have stuff taken down from a really old game?

Yeah for some reason they were flagging Shining Force videos if I remember correctly.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:21 pm

They were taking down videos of the old Shining games and effectively replacing them with the newer, Japan-only (of course) games in the series.

Oh, and the copyright claim hit Atlus USA recently, as they were asked to remove all of their videos that contained any and all content with the word, "Persona"; from some unknown, random Russian musician, since she apparently sang a song that contained the word "Persona" too. It's just madness.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Ridiculous. Burn it down and start again. This is what happens when there is no real competition..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Before we all flock to point the finger at youtube we should consider the possibility of a proverbial gun being held to their head. They have to obey the law, even if the law is potentially stifling of creativity and when you're a part of litigation war happy America, you have to cover your ass. This is more likely a case of asshole companies being asshole companies than it is Youtube making a concerted effort to kill off our channels. The scope of the total problem go well beyond even the internet itself and a good solution is unlikely.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 pm

^Honestly, the US has some silly laws [that in reality, benefit neither the big corporations nor the customer] that are trickling down to, and are effecting the rest of the world then. Was there another stupid law put through to Congress under a new title since we last looked (remember the petitions from a while back)?

Most of the US game publishers are saying they aren't flagging any videos either; it's actually YouTube allowing just about anybody to flag a video and claim it for their own.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Stocke » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:21 pm

QWERTY wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44851

That was better than most English soaps.

Youtube really has gone to shit. I hope a successor will happen, but I'm not sure a site like that could provide income like Youtube does.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm

It'll just go to shit anyway.

It's a pipe dream that one website will be able to cater to the needs of everyone involved. Even if a successor were to rise from the wood work, in a number of years it'll be bought out by a bigger company and they'll be doing the exact same shit all over again.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Not if you gain a share in the website by uploading a video. The overwhelming number of users and uploads would prevent any chance of a compulsory purchase.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming