Games You Typically Stay Away From?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Games You Typically Stay Away From?

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:15 pm

MMORPGs can be very fun but they require a level of dedication I just don't have time for. Whenever I have time for gaming, it always goes into Tekken Revolution now. When the new game comes in from Gamefly, I'll play it but I still stop for some more TR.

I think it has everything to do with the stats system and the time limit, the fact you have only so many tokens to use before running out. So I play, stop, do something else, then boot it back up after about an hour or two. MMORPGs keep going on and on and on, and that gets exhausting for me.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Oh? Never knew you played any MMORPGs, Kenny, which have you played? I'm relatively new to that whole thing, having never played them before FFXIV. Like you say though, they're such a timesink and exhaustingly long and arduous (normally). The communities really vary too, don't they? I've noticed Sonikku plays Star Wars: The Old Republic but outside of Sonikku...nobody else touches the genre.

You still play adventure games too though, Kenny, it's not all Tekken (look at your avatar ;-) ).

I remember with the first two years of having my 360, literally all that I played was Street Fighter 2 HD Online, Halo 3 online and Modern Warfare online. Then I caught the online gaming bug again when I got Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection for PS3 and played that online for ages too. Those games were so addictive. I should get back into Tekken so we can play sometime...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:25 pm

I played WoW for a little bit and I use Playstation Home every so often, which serves the same function.

But if I ever go on Home anymore, it's so I can play Texas Hold 'Em. Hell, if we can have an actual Poker session on a website or PSN, i'd be totally down for that.

And I have been getting into Adventure games more as of late but then again I've always been interested in them. There just weren't alot I didn't know about until recently. I also want to get more of those tank adventure games like Galerians and Fear Effect.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Henry ive frequently played MMORPG's. Used to play WoW, played SWTOR and am currently on and off with FF14. Gonna get back into FF14 when the PS4 version comes out.
But ya its a pretty exhausting but imo rewarding experience if you have a good community around you.
Anyone else here better let me and Yama know if you're gonna play FF14.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:09 am

Call of Duty, Battlefield, Angry Birds, most casual games, and tablet/phone games (in most cases).
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Cave Johnson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:03 am

I stay away from "Mainstream big budget" western games such as COD, Gears, Halo, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Bioshock etc. I'm not into sports games, mmorpgs, casual tablet games either. I stay away from games developed/produced by EA, Activison, and Bethesda. I'm not a fan of western developed games in general unless its from Valve, Naughty Dog or Rockstar. I get disappointed when traditional Japanese IPs are outsourced to western developers (Konami being the biggest offender with Silent Hill and Castlevania). Even if it's a well made game, it loses that japanese "touch" that I've known those games for.

Additionally, I usually avoid most indie games as well but I do make a few exceptions such as Hotline Miami, Journey, and Tokyo Jungle (not sure if its Indie or not)
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:49 am

My god I agree with almost every post. No wonder I only play Yakuza games these days..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:21 am

Henry Spencer wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:I'm okay with other first-person games, like Portal that I mentioned, because I'm not under the same pressure to find my bearings and perform rapid actions. Portal has action sequences but you can generally take your time to suss them out before diving in; you don't have to react on the fly. Mirror's Edge was fun to try until I started being confronted with teams of gunmen, at which point the same old problems reared their ugly head. I'd get on just fine with Dear Esther if it would run at more than five frames per second on my PC...

Ah, right. So it's mainly just shooters you have issues with. I guess you'll never touch the Oculus Rift then? Your comments have given me an idea for another topic in the future on preferences for camera perspectives.

If I have the opportunity I would like to try the Oculus Rift, as moving your own head to look around you is much easier to me than piloting your character's head with a controller. I still don't know how I'd get on with aiming a reticule on screen unless my gun was motion controlled as well, though. In fact moving my head around while trying to aim my fire with an analog stick would probably make me vomit, and that's not a typical reaction I have to games that aren't Shaq-Fu.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby QWERTY » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Shaq-Fu.

Pretty bad, but not the worst of the Mega Drive fighters, surely? Rise of the Robots? Eternal Champions? Primal Rage?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:43 am

Never played Rise of the Robots or Primal Rage. I had a brief go on Eternal Champions and it didn't make a lasting impression either way. What I found frustrating about Shaq-Fu was that excellent artwork was wasted on such an unexciting game. Characters shuffled towards each other across the screen to only deliver moves as devastating as a stubbed toe (which feels pretty devastating but doesn't look it). The very opening sound in the title music sums up the disappointment that comes from playing this game:

phpBB [video]

This guy has the right idea.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Online Multi-player. Did I mention online multi-player? Seems like the rest of the world absolutely adores most of the games I cant stand. You might even say I can point out idiots based on what games they frequent. Good to know there are others here that dont care as much about socializing while gaming and care more about actual... gaming, cheers for being hardcore! Those casual cunts will never take us alive!!! #shutupandplaybitch
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:37 pm

OFF TOPIC BOT IS OFF TOPIC! BAN THIS FUCK!!! *prepares the pitchforks and lights the torches*
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm

LOL VEENERS
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:06 pm

MMORPG's: I never really play online at all. The only time I enjoy it is when I'm playing with a friend I actually know. I love a good RPG but when there are 50 people running around the room and crowding around one corner of the room it takes me out of the experience. If my character is the only guy who can save the world why are there 20 other people fighting 6 dragons over there? I tried the beta of FFXIV for a few days but it just didn't have what I like about a Final Fantasy.

Sport Games: The only sport I really like is football and I haven't really enjoyed a game since Pro Evo on the PS2. I never used to even play it as much as most people I knew but I don't even bother picking up the latest FIFA any more.

Fighting Games: Never really had much interest in them. I love Smash Bros and I'll pick up the new one day one but I've tried to play a few fighting games and always get bored quickly. I looked at the move list for one game and see it had pages and pages of button combinations I just said fuck this and walked away.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby mue 26 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:48 pm

It's real simple for me: Anything that is not of Japanese origin. Ya Get me.

phpBB [video]

Seriously though, add me to the "not a fan of strategy games" list. Never been good at them, or particularly interested. There have been exceptions though, and those have been the Kessen series and the Dynasty tactic series (No coincidence both are products of the Land of the Gods). I'm not into SJRPGs either though; I've tried to like Disagea or whatever that game is called, and just could not get into it at all. I find them kind of like SC said, they are JRPGs but without the fun of exploration, plus they have mechanics I just find tedious most of the time. I would like to play that SJRPG (whose name has slipped my mind) by the guy that did FF12 though, that game has always piqued my interest.

Also not a fan of FPS for same reasons others have already mentioned. While I am still a fan of action games (like DMC and Vanquish) to be honest, I find myself getting bored by them a lot faster than I used to these days; relentlessly cool action just doesn't hold me captive like it used to these days, unless it has world/story/or something very unique about it to grab my attention. For example while El Shaddai is probably not the best action game last gen in terms of gameplay, it may well be the one I enjoyed the most, as it was just so individual and bold in terms of setting, narrative and art. This also leads me to the point that I tend to not bother in general with games that do not have a strong world, narrative and art to draw me in. I like playing games more for the "experience", the touristy aspects of visiting and interacting with (even if only to a limited capacity, as with visual novels) unique worlds. I've never enjoyed playing games so much for their "gamey mechanics", in fact, I'll often have to force myself with gritted teeth through the gameplay aspects of many games just to get to the next bit of story or relaxed exploration I'm looking forward to. This is especially common with JRPGs (which bizarrely is a favourite genre of mine...go figure), as it doesn't matter how frigging masterful and deep the combat system is, I never give a shit about it, and I have never ever derived enjoyment from it. I'm the kind of guy who plays Zelda for the colourful overworld, and who grinds his arse through Persona 4 just for the school/town bits, I can't stand dungeons of any kind or quality, but I will suffer through them if I'm compelled enough. I guess what I prize the most in games is exploration coupled with a compelling world. David Cages games tend to have me falling asleep, as they lack that sense of exploration.

I guess it's no surprise Shenmue is my favourite game.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming