Thief (the game, not the guy)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Thief (the game, not the guy)

Postby OL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51 pm

New trailer popped up for this and I couldn't find a dedicated topic to post it in, so here it be.
There are certain things about the game that immediately make me think "jeez, swiping from Dishonored a little blatantly, aren't you?" such as the whole "plague ravages city!" element. But it looks different enough not to be a total ripoff.
And it's really hard to pick out anything about it, outside of the basic concept, that actually reminds me of the original games. Honestly, if it weren't called Thief and the main character weren't named Garret, I don't think I'd recognize it as being related to the old games at all. I do have to say that, as a 14-year fan of the original, it's really disappointing not to see any Hammerites, Pagans, burricks, ghosts, giant spiders, or anything else of that ilk in this entire trailer. They show what appears to be a large variety of environments and situations, but I see nothing but city watch guards everywhere, with only a split-second reference to anything "fantastical." And not only that, but the dry sense of humor of the original is pretty much missing as well (though that may just be because of the style of the trailer).
It's one of those cases where it absolutely looks like a great game, but as a revamp/sequel to the old series... it just hasn't stuck to the style of the originals enough for me to accept it in that way. I don't know that I'll be able to take it as canon in the series. I guess we'll see though.
I'll be even more disappointed if no one utters the word "taffer."

phpBB [video]

I'll be buying it day-1 either way, because it really does look like a cool stealth experience. I'm excited for it... I'm just disappointed that it doesn't seem to remind me of it's original subject matter at all.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Thief (the game, not the guy)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Getting a lot of mid range scores so far.

Might wait for some gamers response or just pick up the XBox One version over the weekend.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKAZyb07qtA

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441360/thief-review
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ief-review

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:26 pm

It's weird, it used to be that I couldn't stand Adam Sessler, but I guess that was mostly just because of the show he used to be on (which basically trashed anything that wasn't triple-A), because his was the only one of those reviews I felt I could take seriously. Very even-headed, and with a clear knowledge of the original series (everyone else kept spouting inaccuracies all over the place),
But yeah, seeing all this stuff on the game has oddly kind of... turned me off from it. It doesn't sound as good as I was hoping it'd be. And I guess my nostalgia for the old series is a little too strong, because the fact that this barely resembles the originals at all is still bugging the crap out of me. Just hearing a guard say "I'll find you, you friggin' bastard" in that first video was enough to kill my hopes for some sense of nostalgic recognition.
Guess I'll be waiting on it too. I'll play it later on, but I no longer feel compelled to get it first day. I'm thinking the Thief series, as I once knew it, is definitely dead now. Hopefully another Dishonored gets made, because that's easily the more compelling stealth experience to me now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Still tempted right now.

The videos look pretty stealthy which is what I'm after right now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 pm

The atmosphere looks incredible from the footage I have seen of it. I'm definitely somebody who can get swayed over something like that, alone. It seems that is one of the biggest strengths that both teams at Eidos Montreal have. It interests me more than Dishonoured, since unlike that game, it looks like the game doesn't cheap out on having ridiculously overly powerful spells/abilities at your disposal.

I'll probably pick it up after a price drop. I really like the first game in the series, never played the second game or Dark Project, but they've always been "on my to do" list over the years.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:20 pm

^^The Dark Project is the first game. ;-)
Third game was Deadly Shadows.

Just have to say, I think the appeal of Dishonored is the fact that you're really overpowered, and as a result have an insane amount of freedom in doing things however you want. It's a means to re-playability. I think, much the same as with games like Dark Souls or Nier, for example, it's easy to misunderstand the appeal of Dishonored without experiencing it and really trying to understand what the devs were going for. It has a very old-school PC gaming mindset to it, where experimentation is key.

The new Thief, meanwhile, seems a little more in-line with modern gaming conventions. Not a bad thing at all (I love modern gaming), I just think it looks a little more... placid in its approach to stealth. Great atmosphere, but hardly much room to kick your legs around.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 pm

I just don't understand a game which calls itself a "stealth" game and then proceeds to give you too many superpowers and makes you like a demigod in that setting. I prefer being an agile thief who sneaks in, knocks out some guards and sneaks out and if you're caught, you know about it, since you fucked up. I'm not really a fan of the "get out" clause that most stealth games have nowadays, be they loads of guns at your disposal in the newer MGS games or the "aim at five enemies and kill them before they alert anybody else" like in the newer Splinter Cell. I just much prefer being a human being in stealth games, rather than Superman, is what I'm saying.

And I have played Dishonoured [not to completion], it was just way too easy, you could just waltz in there and blow away any enemies that found you. I prefer a bit of challenge in stealth games.

I don't think of the likes of the Souls games and Nier as stealth games, so I don't understand the comparison there.

And yeah, I meant "Deadly Shadows".
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeah, the whole point of stealth games is to be legitimately vulnerable and using relying on your wits and highly limited arsenal/gadgets to get you through. Personally, I find getting caught or leaving any evidence of your presence (e.g. knocking out guards) a failure. It's all about ghosting. The flip side works if you're Batman, coz, y'know, it's Batman, but shit like the new Splinter Cell, Dishonoured, this new Thief game, etc., it's like they've completely missed the point.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:I don't think of the likes of the Souls games and Nier as stealth games, so I don't understand the comparison there.

Only a comparison in spirit, not in literal mechanics.
Dark Souls is an easy game to hate if you don't understand that you're supposed to die, that it's supposed to be really difficult. Taken as a random game in an ocean of triple-A, hand-holding games, it'd be easy to misunderstand what the devs were aiming for if you don't go in with the right mindset. There are people out there that hate it for the very same reasons others love it.
Nier could easily been seen as simply mediocre, if one were to just play through it once and forget about it. But the new game+ function is key, as it totally warps the experience into something else and reveals what the game is really about. Again, easy to misunderstand the game if you go into it with the wrong mindset (which happened en masse when it came time for "professional" reviewers to hit it up).
I think Dishonored is similar in that its intentions have apparently been misunderstood by some. It isn't meant to be seen merely as a stealth game. It's a game where the player is offered the option to tackle the entire thing in whatever way they want. It's a playground. Sure, one can barrel through with little trouble, blow everyone away and be done with it, but that's missing the point. You can also go back and completely ghost the entire thing as well, as Mitts seems to be wanting (and yes, trying to go the entire game that way is very challenging). It's even been crafted very specifically so that players can actually get through the whole game without the use of powers at all. It's a very intelligently-designed game in that respect, made intentionally with all of these playstyles in mind. It's all about gameplay choice.

Not saying you should like it or anything; if you don't like it, you don't like it. It's all good.
I just think that, as with Dark Souls and Nier, it requires a certain perspective for one to really appreciate it, and it's easy to miss out on that if you approach it as just another modern first-person game.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Anyone get this?

Its 50% off on the Xbox One/360 marketplace's this weekend so I'm tempted.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Haven't played it yet and only saw the scores, which are pretty bad.

No matter, will get to it...eventually.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 am

Pretty sure I read its on offer on the PSN marketplaces as well for those that have those consoles.

Dare say ill bite tomorrow when it goes on sale on Xbox One.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Been hit by a bug apparently caused by the clocks changing to April 1st.

phpBB [video]

Only happening to next gen and PC versions.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... onds-.aspx

Update: Following our original story yesterday, dozens of readers have reached out to us to explain the problems they are having across platforms. We've heard of two issues related to saves that seem to be related.

The first is a looping problem that prevents players from leaving Garrett's clock tower. Trying to enter the city returns players to home base when the load sequence is complete.

The other issue is that players are finding themselves unable to make new saves outside the clock tower. New saves aren't sticking, and loading a previous save bumps players back to a fixed point prior to April 1.

The issue persists, despite the clock winding past April 1. We'll update with more once we get additional news from Square Enix.

Original Story:

Starting this morning, we began receiving word from readers that their Thief saves have disappeared or otherwise been corrupted. Given the date, we were skeptical, but after investigating the multitude of complaints on the forums and hearing from Square Enix, we are confident there is a problem.

Players are reporting that manual saves are disappearing, and that older saves have been wiped of some data (mostly side quests). The issues can be fixed on Windows 7 machines by setting the date ahead to April 2, though that reportedly does not work for Windows 8 computers. Users are also reporting problem with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game.

"We're aware of an issue that seems to be affecting some Thief players, preventing them from completing some levels,” a Square Enix representative told us via email. “We're taking this very seriously – as a first step we're reading as many reports of the issue as possible, working to replicate it internally, so that we can understand what's causing it. We're sorry for any disruption to your game today, and we'll update you as soon as we have more information."

We’ll update as we know more. For now, we recommend not booting up the game until April 2. Thanks to the many readers who emailed us about this problem.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Fuck me. Hope it's fixed by the time I rent it...
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 am

Shouldn't be a problem if you haven't already started playing it.

Good thing for me is I'm right near the start.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming