Batman Arkham Knight

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Batman Arkham Knight

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:59 am

phpBB [video]

Arkham Knight is set one year after the events of Arkham City, game director Sefton Hill said. Batman is at the peak of his powers, but he's up against all of Gotham's bad guys who are teaming up to take him down. Enemies mentioned were Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn.

Arkham Knight is set in a bigger Gotham City, with wider streets perfect for driving the Batmobile around in. "We've known it's what people want," Hill said. "It refreshes the whole experience."

Hill continued: "This is the natural end for the story. We really want to go out in style."

Who Really Cares? has received 3 thanks from: Bambi, MiTT3NZ, OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Batman Arkham Knight

Postby OL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Groovy.
Just kind of curious that they're calling it the "end" of the story. I was under the impression they were planning to turn this into a big "regular release" series, like CoD or Assassin's Creed. Could have sworn I read that at some point, so it's odd to hear them talking about the "end" to anything. With the exception of some sidequest stuff, Arkham City seemed pretty nicely wrapped up story-wise, so it's hard to tell if they really mean "story" or "series."
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Eh. I think 4 games (in a relatively short span of time) is enough. Can't really blame Rocksteady for wanting to do other things after this is done. I have no doubt that Warner Bros. Montreal (Origins dev) will continue the series after Rocksteady, anyway.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:29 pm

OL wrote: Groovy.
Just kind of curious that they're calling it the "end" of the story. I was under the impression they were planning to turn this into a big "regular release" series, like CoD or Assassin's Creed. Could have sworn I read that at some point, so it's odd to hear them talking about the "end" to anything. With the exception of some sidequest stuff, Arkham City seemed pretty nicely wrapped up story-wise, so it's hard to tell if they really mean "story" or "series."

At one point it was rumoured that they would COD it and have 2 devs working on different games for yearly releases.

I'm guessing Origins low sales put an end to that.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:40 pm

I have no problem with more, just so long as they keep expanding and doing something interesting (which they definitely are with this one, being large enough to drive the Batmobile around). Wouldn't mind seeing some additions to the stealth, personally. I was always a little disappointed that the stealth keeps getting relegated to these big "challenge room" areas. Why have we not had full, corridor-filled, Splinter Cell-style stealth levels yet? That'd be nice to see.

Really, I'm just confused as to why DC hasn't extended the Arkham format to other characters yet. I'd love to see a bigger Metropolis-based Superman game set up in the same way as Arkham, with sidequests and police emergencies and all that. At this point in the videogame format, something like that would be totally doable, even with characters like the Flash or Green Lantern.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm

I was naive enough to think this would be a cross-gen game. Not actually too bummed about this being a PS4 game. I didn't enjoy Arkham City as much as a Asylum, and Origins was really just a dud release altogether.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Asylum was mind-blowing, City was absorbing, and Origins was awe-inspiring. I have no doubt that Knight will drop a fat loada guano on at least two of em (to this day, I still can't decide which is my favourite)

As for the "this story is done" thing, I'm pretty sure he means Rocksteady's "Arkham" story. No doubt WB Montreal will carry on the Batman series sans the "Arkham" tag, and considering Origins, I feel I can safely say it'll be in good hands.

Time to save for a PC upgrade or a next gen.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Batman Arkham Knight details below:

General
•Rocksteady rethought the entire city structure to accommodate the Batmobile and street traffic

•Arkham Knight is built on a "juiced up" version of the a custom Unreal Engine to make use of the Xbox One and PS4.

•By not being cross-gen they've been able to push what the machines can do

•Rocksteady describe Arkham Knight as "a real, genuine next-gen game"

•There is no multiplayer in Arkham Knight. Rocksteady is focused on "making the best single-player experience it can" and doesn't feel it needs multiplayer.
"Arkham Knight" is also the name of a new archrival that was created from scratch by DC Entertainment's Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, known for his work on Green Lantern and Justice League.

•The character will "really challenge Batman to go head to head with him in lots of different ways"

•Kevin Conroy is going to be voicing Batman, Nolan North will be boicing Penguin, Wally Wingert will be doing Riddler, Tara Strong returns as Harley Quinn and Troy Baker will be Two-Face

Gameplay
•Batman begins with his traditional Arkham City suite but gets a darker plated one later in the game. It adds new abilities and has continuity with the look of the Batmobile

•Arkham Knight is the end "of the later timeline"

•Game Informer says Rocksteady isn't saying what's next but "it's most definitely not Batman related"

•The finale has been in mind since the development of Arkham City

•Arkham Knight takes place in a new central zone of Gotham City, which is split into three island and is in total roughly five times the size of Arkham City

•Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant

•There is more space in between buildings to make the environments "traffic-friendly" and it becomes more fun to glide around

•Game Informer says the level of details is some of the most impressive its seen

•Arkham Knight takes place one year after Arkham City

•Joker is dead and crime rate has declined

•Batman continues to work on tech to fight crime, even with less of it around

•He knows something isn't right, but needs to wait to see what happens

•With the Joker gone, other key villains have spent time coming together to plan Batman's downfall

•Each villain has his/her own mission in the city and it's intended to spread Batman thin

•Scarecrow has threatened to blow up bombs in gotham and cover it with a new version of his fear toxin, so the city is ordered to evac

•Only criminals remain in the city; Gordon and his forces have been overwhelmed

•In the demo there are between four and five times the number of thugs in Gotham City than in Arkham

•Riots can feature up to 50 characters destroying things

•Two-Face and Penguin are killing cops, because they can

•Batman meets with Gordon and gives him tech to stay in contact

•All of the game's cutscenes take place in-engine, there are no pre-rendered cinematics. They are seamlessly integrated.

•Rocksteady is trying to take the level of in-game detail to the pre-rendered level

•Albert Feliu, lead character artist, says the polygon count on one character in Arkham Knight is as big as the count of the whole Arkham Asylum environment

•The detail in Gordon's face shows his age and it wrinkles as he talks

•Apex cloth physics are being used on Batman's cape and Gordon's trench coat so they react properly to wind and movement

•Although Jim Gordon believes she's gone, his daughter Barbara, a.k.a. Oracle is in the city and helping Batman

•Oracle is a "strong character" and is a character Batman physically meets as opposed to just a voice he hears

•She knows Batman's identity and is used to give him a human side

•Arkhamverse Barbara lines up with comic continuity in that she was paralysed by the Joker

•Batman knows Barbara is in the city and Jim Gordon believes she is not, the deception may become a plot point

•A new streamlined control option is used to tell batman to sprint to the nearest ledge and dive straight down

•Grapnel Gun now has a Mark 2 boost upgrade and slingshots Batman

•Line launcher returns to give Batman perch points and ziplines can be created instantly while flying around

•All quickfire gadgets, such as Batarangs, can be used in mid-air

•The classic counter system also returns. Rocksteady doesn't want to overcomplicate it as it thinks the strength is in the simplicity

•However, it has enhanced it somewhat with new features

•Normal goons can now do the charge and tackle only the larger enemies could in previous games

•A well timed backflip and Batarang can be used to instantly KO enemies doing a charge

•Batman now has quick ground strikes but full ground takedowns are still available, though they take longer to execute

•Batman can glide through glass surfaces

•He has throw counters that grabs enemies and launches them into another for double damage

•Hazards in the environment such as power generators can be mixed into combat

•Riddler appears in the demo to put the Batmobile to the test in a three-lap time trial through the underground tunnels of Gotham, but to the only way to make it through is to use a special radar pulse that alters parts of the track

•Players click the left stick to move obstacles while driving at high speeds and the course gets difficult with every lap

•Riddler has a plan for Batman and the city too, beyond testing his skills

•Batman still has detective vision

•He can access grates from further away, when in range a button prompt appears and he'll roll forward to get under it

•From a grate it's possible to initiate multiple takedowns, as one enemy is grabbed the action slows and the camera can be pointed in the direction of another enemy.

•"Fear Takedowns" can be used on groups of three enemies as long as they're close together and none of them spot Batman

•The demo ends with a mysterious villain describes as a "militaristic Batman" with what looks like an "Arkham A" on his chest appears to land a jump kick on Batman and stomp him. He points a gun at Batman and the screen fades to black as the shot is fired.

Batmobile
•Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it

•Batmobile is the only car Batman has access to in the game

•It zooms to your location at the touch of the button

•It can do burnouts, jumps, boosts and "rotate in a circle at a full stop to get you pointed in the right direction

•It is bulletproof and can smash through barricades, trees and building corners

•Enemies will try and jump out of its way

•Driving gameplay is balanced with out-of-car gameplay so players don't just stay in it all the time

•While Batmobile has speed and damage Batman has a better freedom of movement and gadgets,

•Players can swap between the two based on what the job requires

•Batmobile can missile lock and fire an immobilizer at enemy vehicles

•Batmobile is designed to segue perfectly with Batman and his navigational skills

•When within range of a key point Batman can eject out of the Batmobile and launch himself into a fast glide

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Um, wow.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Sickness. Anyone else planning on plunking down on the pre-order to play as Harley Quinn?

I love how the trailer is so cinematic. It's like gaming is now getting closer and closer to us playing interactive movies.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 am

Mitsuzuki wrote: Sickness. Anyone else planning on plunking down on the pre-order to play as Harley Quinn?

I've preordered Arkham City and Origins in the past but the incentive wasn't for character challenge maps. I didn't even bother to play as Deathstroke in Origins..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:07 am

Don't want to see The Joker.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm

8)

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: wude
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Oh wow, that's awesome.

I've finished Origins, so yeah...Arkham Knight, I'm happily awaiting for that one. I read some of the details but I rather keep it fresh and not read anymore.

One of the things that made AC mindblowing and AO free from disappointment was because I didn't know much about them ahead of time, except for AC's DLC content and open world stuff. Gonna do the same with this, only knowing that I can actually ride the Batmobile this time.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Still got to finish Origins. Its good just annoying that it's another Joker story rather than what they advertised.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming