The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/NX)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Zelda Wii U Announced

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 am

Mario Kart 64 was okay. I preferred Diddy Kong Racing a bit more.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:16 am

I still prefer Jak X.
Ha.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Yes, GC's third party selection is the best since SNES and N64's is the best first party line-up (never owned a NES or SNES, so they can't compete for me, the games I've played from the SNES though...I found overrated. SEGA 16bit>Nintendo 16bit any day of the week).

The DS is probably my actual favourite Nintendo system ever though and brought me back to Nintendo. 3DS just hasn't lived up to it.

Thief wrote: I think it's a pretty good first party line-up, and when compared to the N64, I think it's a little better. I can only think of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, F-Zero X, Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, Paper Mario, Mario Kart 64, and Super Smash Bros off the top of my head for the N64. The Zelda, Mario, and Starfox games were better on the 64 (even though I tend to prefer Sunshine/I can still understand why others don't) but I think the other games had better installments on the Gamecube -- plus there were simply just more quality games to play on the Gamecube.

I don't so much mind if people don't like the Gamecube all that much except when it's described as "easily the worst" when there's the Wii to hate.

I'll never agree that GC's first party was better than N64's in a million years (Mario Sunshine over Mario 64? Pft, nah), but we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

I do agree however with the Wii comparison to N64 and GC; really poor in comparison to those two. And I never described GC as the worst, don't know why people on here have reading comprehension - the GC was overall good, just the Nintendo developed stuff that disappointed me. Wii just gave me time wasters and only right at the very end of its life did it actually deliver some gems. Not that I noticed anyway since the DS was so much better than the Wii it isn't even funny. Wii U was a step in the right direction for me, but it wasn't for anyone else, obviously.

But yeah, Twilight Princess is much better on the GC if you ever decide to give it a shot -- it actually ended up being my second favorite in the series after Majora's Mask. The game has very noticeable flaws, and I would argue that it's not as tight of an experience as Wind Waker was, but I still prefer it.

I'd dare say the reason why I didn't like TP in the first place was the awkward and annoying controls. Plus I'm left handed so it through me for a loop when I found the game was mirrored.

And yeah agree with Kenny; Diddy Kong Racing was much better than Mario Kart 64.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:15 pm

I never meant to imply that you thought the Gamecube was the worst -- I was simply just stating my annoyance with those who do. I have a love for the console so oftentimes I have a tendency to defend it even when it may not need defending.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:59 pm

(never owned a NES or SNES, so they can't compete for me, the games I've played from the SNES though...I found overrated. SEGA 16bit>Nintendo 16bit any day of the week).

Oh, absolutely. It's pretty easy for me to put nostalgia aside for this stuff nowadays, but the Genesis still wins for me. So many fantastic titles on there. I do think preference between the two depends on what kinds of games you generally prefer more, though; SNES got more in the way of Japanese RPGs and whatnot, but the Genesis easily has the greater variety and quality of actioners/platformers.
I kind of hate comparing the two though, because I think they're both great.

Henry Spencer wrote: Yes, GC's third party selection is the best since SNES and N64's is the best first party line-up

I actually think the Wii wins in the third-party department, post-SNES. I usually gauge a console's value based mainly on exclusives, and the Gamecube was chock full of mainly multiplatform stuff I could get elsewhere. The Wii has stuff like both No More Heroes games, A Boy and His Blob, the Klonoa remake, Sin & Punishment, Fragile Dreams, and all those RPGs that every jizzes over which I haven't gotten to yet (but I'm sure are good). I'm kind of hard-pressed to name noteworthy third-party GC exclusives, aside from Tales of Symphonia and... I dunno, Billy Hatcher? Never played it myself.

The DS is probably my actual favourite Nintendo system ever though and brought me back to Nintendo.

I'm still surprised by how great the DS ended up being. I remember thinking the system was stupid in the beginning, but after Front Mission and The World Ends With You convinced me to buy one, the selection exploded with so much greatness afterward.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

I think the N64 did as much for the gaming world as the NES did. Mario 64, Zelda: OOT and MM really set the precedent for all future 3D games. The NES taught us what a platformer was. The N64 showed us just what a platformer could do in three dimensions.

I REALLY hope Zelda Wii U does something magical. But I just don't know what else is left that can wow us. We've seen giant worlds before. It's got to do something more. I don't know what though.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:07 pm

phpBB [video]

Need Wii U asap... apparently its coming out next year. NEEEEED!!!!

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:55 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... n-in-2015/

Game is Delayed and wont be out in 2015. Bummer, but at the same time it sounds like they want to vastly improve this project. Maybe this delay will give my wallet a break for a an extra 6 months to a year and I can post pone buying a Wii U for a little while longer. I hope they can make this the best game it can be by putting the extra time into it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Think a topic title change may be in order.

Emily Rogers who has been a bit of a Nintendo insider in the past has tweeted a few things she's heard.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Thief » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm fine with these rumors but who is this girl? What does being a Nintendo insider mean and why should I trust what she says?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:21 pm

She's leaked Nintendo stuff in the past. Most recent thing was the Paper Mario Wii U game which she leaked information about 2 months before the announcement.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:55 am

I'm fine with voice acting as long as Link is silent. Not wild about a female link but Im not into the guy/girl characters are interchangeable. Want to do that? Make a new character altogether. They could do that with this Linkle but it's annoying to me people are out there complaining that Link is a guy and they want to play Link as a girl. Let's go ahead and edit classic books to have main characters as the opposite sex. "Captain Ahab? Get the girl edit!" "Frodo too masculine for you? Get the Froda version!" Just have Link have a sister or something like in WW but allow the player to play as her. Or better yet play as Zelda and there's no need to create a new character. She's beloved enough to have people's support.

I don't know. It just seems SJW to me. Everything has to be nongender so we don't hurt some kids feelings she can't play as a girl. I don't ask for Lara Croft to be a guy just because I can't identify with her femininity.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:42 pm

I've been wanting a female Link for sometime. Series is getting stale and needs some changes.

Kenny has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Kenny wrote: I've been wanting a female Link for sometime. Series is getting stale and needs some changes.

Needs boobs! :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Link was originally named Link because he was supposed to represent a link between the player and the game. It only makes sense for there to be a female option, especially since they seem to want to emulate the "open world" style of the first game -- only in 3D. I don't really have any objections to having the option of a female link, only really adds to the game.

I have really high hopes for this new Zelda though. My brother and I played through Zelda 1 today on NES and it was some of the most fun I've had in a long time playing a videogame. We only used the map that came bundled in with the game and our memories, but we managed to kill Ganon in around four hours. I miss games that felt like you were working towards something, and it was a challenge. I got so good at killing blue dark-nuts by the end! I hope the new one can capture that spirit in 3D.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming