Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:30 am

phpBB [video]
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 am

My copy has just been dispatched. Seems kinda unreal after all this time.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:52 am

Hoping so hard this game comes out on pc, I think I'll pass on this gen of consoles.

Maybe I'll think of getting a switch in the future.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 am

Well im pretty hype. Ill be playing it in a few hours now. Ive stayed relatively spoiler free away from the reviews and videos. I do want to watch Kingsglaive before I start the game though.

Edit: Watching that now.
Edit: Ok Kingsglaive was pretty dope. The ending was abit of a one-liner fest but overall a great way to introduce the world and I assume lead in/compliment the game

As for the game ive started it and really loving it so far. This feels like the game we've all been waiting for.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 pm

The reviews are being pretty positive, all around 8/9 ratings.

Sadly I think the game changed quite a bit from the original FF versus (seems like the end part has quite a twist).

This is the second game I really want to play behind SIII, I think it'll come to pc next year.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:31 am

Ok its settled, you really must watch Kingsglaive before playing the game to fully understand the world and the impact of certain parts of atleast the first half of this game.
Honestly this world is really fascinating. Its nothing other JRPG stories haven't done before but the way everything unfolds and the pacing of the story especially since you control the progression like a JRPG should be is great to have again.
And everything else is really great too. The music, exploration, combat, voice acting.. all of it is really good! Some corny lines here and there but all in good fun. Love the game so far.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36 am

Apparently it's pretty necessary.

The movie kinda sucks balls, but it's so fucking beautiful and cheesy that it's very enjoyable.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:21 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: http://www.geek.com/news/square-enix-sa ... l-1651264/

Square Enix says Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million copies to be successful

LOFUCKINGL

Not even sure where to begin with this, but square is in for a huge let down. What on earth are they thinking? This is concerning, very concerning they actually think this may be possible. Not even sure what to say this is so ridiculous, smh sqaure... smh...

AnimeGamer183 wrote: In comparison Final Fantasy VII the most profitable game in the series, has sold 11 million over its life span on its various platform releases, meaning square is expecting similar numbers to FFVII with FFXV. Clearly their expectations are way to high, my buddy pointed out that square does have a reputation for this though, as they did the same thing with Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman. When will they ever learn?

http://www.destructoid.com/tomb-raider- ... 9692.phtml

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Apparently they have to learn to not make such lofty goals, was that not obvious? They let themselves down with TR SD and HM, and they are at it again, its not like im making this shit up.

At any rate, taking out the word profitable and putting in sales goals doesnt change the ridiculous number of 10 million, which is what this is really about, although thank god it would not take that much to turn a profit for this game because they would be in the hole big time. I realize that this was their long term numbers and I understand how they work and as i already compared the Final Fantasy VII numbers if you read my post above. Square is making themselves look stupid, im just relaying the information and stating my opinion: 10 million life time goal for this game is not going to happen.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Are you saying you think the 10 million number is realistic for FF15? Cause my entire argument is that its not, not the fact that they are making any kind of goal at all which is what it seems like you think I mean. 3-5 million, maybe even 6 or 7 life time might be feesable, but 10 just seems a bit too high for me.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ay/.109373

Square Enix announced on Thursday that its Final Fantasy XV PlayStation 4 and Xbox One game sold more than 5 million copies on its first day when it went on sale worldwide on Tuesday.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:49 am

Wrong thread.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:49 am

Well I just beat XV and although I enjoyed the game overall I have some major issues with it.

The story is awful. They should never made that Kingsglaive movie and just had the first 2-5 hours building up the story for the game. You can see that they wanted to throw you into the open world right away after the backlash from XIII but listening to the fans whine has sadly hurt the game overall.

It would have been great if the game started with Noctis at about 6 years old and showed him growing up with his father in his hometown and how he met his friends. You actually see his father in the entire game less then you see him in some trailers. Instead of building up character development you're thrown into the world and told you like these people and should care about them. Over time I came to really like the group of friends but it would have been nice to see more of their relationships outside of chatting while driving across the world map. You're also just constantly told that Noctis loves Luna and even though I've beaten the game, watched the anime and the movie I still don't know why and never see them develop a relationship.

Also so many important story beats happen off screen and you could easily miss them leading to so much confusion. One character dies and everyone is very upset but I didn't find out what connection he had to the main characters for another 20 hours. It feels like so much was cut out of the game that you're left with the bare necessities.

The best thing is that the story can be beat in about 20 hours if you race to the finish line.

Other then the story the only complaint I have is that the camera in some battles sucks.

I enjoyed my time with the game overall but now that the credits have rolled I don't think I'll ever be replaying it. I may look at the DLC as it rolls out to see if it's something that interests me but this is low on the list of games to replay.

My list from best to worst for the series (Only includes games I've beat):

1. VII
2. IX
3. X
4. VI
5. VIII
6. XII
7. VII: Crisis Core
8. IV
9. XIII
10. XV
11. X-2
12: VII: Dirge of Cerberus
13. III
14. XIII-2
15. XIII: Lightning Returns
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Play Tactics!!! Secretly the best one.

Thanks for the impressions though, sounds a bit like what happened with MGSV, listened too much to the complaints of "too many cutscenes" and went too far with it. I will forever wonder what could have been with Versus XIII if Nomura got to carry out his project as he planned it. I heard the villains outside the main villain only get like 1 scene each and then disappear and other bad ass characters like
the lancer chick and the samurai dude (Cor?) just disappear too?
which is very disappointing. I'm still going to play it since the concept that was presented all of those years ago really captured me unlike any of the other mainline FF games outside of XII.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Play Tactics!!! Secretly the best one.

I second this motion, great game. Also I recommend you play V, which is not so secretly my favorite one :x

I'm interested in XV, but I've been playing through all the numbered final fantasy games in order with a buddy of mine for a long while now. We're currently on 10, so I just figure I'll wait till whenever the two of us get to it, rather than play it by myself now.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Thanks for the impressions though, sounds a bit like what happened with MGSV, listened too much to the complaints of "too many cutscenes" and went too far with it.

That is actually the perfect game to compare this to. There is so many times when a plotline/character comes out of nowhere or just disappears. The game has a very unfinished and sliced together at the last minute feel about it. The recent trailer at the top of this page is a dream that Noctis has randomly one night for no reason, it just felt like they had that mini CG movie and just wanted to throw it in for no reason. There are also some scenes from Kingsglaive thrown in at the start which are oddly placed. I think this may just be down to Tabata though as I've heard Type-0 has very similar issues with plot points being badly explained and many important things happening off screen.

I will forever wonder what could have been with Versus XIII if Nomura got to carry out his project as he planned it.

I'm still going to play it since the concept that was presented all of those years ago really captured me unlike any of the other mainline FF games outside of XII.

I was curious myself after beating the game and went back and read about the development of the game on the Wikia page. There isn't a single part of the 2006 or 2013 E3 trailers in the final game. It seems like between 2006-2012 Nomura did nothing other then some proof of concept stuff and kept getting pulled onto other projects and the game never really went into production. Around 2012 Tabata took over the project and made his own game but was made to keep things like the characters so people wouldn't be angry that they canceled the game. People will always say this game took 10 years to make but it seems like it was more 4.

My main piece of advice is not to go into it expecting anything from those first two trailers as it's a different game entirely. Not a single thing about this game screamed Nomura to me.

I heard the villains outside the main villain only get like 1 scene each and then disappear and other bad ass characters like
the lancer chick and the samurai dude (Cor?) just disappear too?
which is very disappointing.

Some villains who have been built up in trailers and the movie don't appear in the game at all...

It sounds like I hate this game but while I played it I really enjoyed it. It's just when you think about it afterwards or between play sessions and you really think about it the flaws stick out like a sore thumb.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:08 pm

If it still has those neo-gothic buildings I'm happy.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:34 pm

I'm still in the middle of the story atm but I have to agree. Alot of the story from the Kingsglaive movie should have been in the game. Theirs really no build up to the open world like with other Final Fantasy's. If you don't watch the movie you will most certainly not give much of a shit about the world or plot.

Its almost as if the game story is just complementing the "main" story from the movie. Hopefully the ending here builds up better but im level 32 now and I hope im approaching the meat of the story soon.
I can say the story itself isnt bad though. I really like alot of what ive seen so far. It just does feel totally like one big side piece to kingsglaive.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming