Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:26 pm

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy ... velopment/

Final Fantasy 15 director explains how 'Final Fantasy disease' impacted development

"We're not special. Wake up." Not exactly the most inspiring pep talk from the man in charge of the next Final Fantasy game, but that's what Square Enix employees got when Hajime Tabata took over the Final Fantasy 15 team. In an interview on Japanese site 4Gamer (as translated by Kotaku), Tabata says there was backlash at the studio when he assumed his role as game director - backlash he attributes to "Final Fantasy disease."

So what is Final Fantasy disease? "It refers to people within the company who can’t imagine anything other than their own view of Final Fantasy," Tabata says. "Since the root is a strong self-affirmation, one’s own view of Final Fantasy takes more priority than the team’s success."

"If that view of Final Fantasy isn’t fulfilled, then they’re convinced that it’s bad for Final Fantasy," Tabata continues. "They think, 'Since Final Fantasy is a special team, then we are also special because we are making it. When the new Final Fantasy comes out, everybody is going to be so into it.' But that’s not the reality of the situation, is it?"

In other words, people assumed that a new Final Fantasy needed to fit the mold of what the series had been, and those working on the game assumed that it would do well, just because it was a Final Fantasy game. Tabata obviously disagreed.

Interestingly, Tabata notes that once information about Final Fantasy 15 started going more public, he realized the infection was not limited to Square Enix. "Everyone has Final Fantasy disease," he says. I admit, Final Fantasy means something very specific to me, and I'm unsure how I feel about FF15 overall, partly due to the number of changes from that specific formula. I think I'm going to schedule an appointment with my primary physicians, Doctor Xbox One and Doctor PS4, for September 30. Just to be sure.

So Tabata-san Admits "Final Fantasy Disease" effected the development staff of FFXV. I think I understand what he means, fans of the series each have a certain perspective of what consists of FF games, and it was so much so the case in the development team it had to be addressed. I think its funny because its basically saying something that we have know for a long time, Final Fantasy is one of the most scrutinized series ever. I just find it surprising that even the development team could not agree, but then when you think about it a bit, it makes alot more sense. I guess when Tabata-san got on board he kind of had to right the ship to get the team focused on a collective goal, or maybe this issue was more of cultural thing among the staff, its very hard to tell as its kind of vague to what it actually means. Still this is an odd piece of news, explaining the series causes disease? I mean... i think I get what he means but to put it like that doesnt exactly sound good. Its very strange, but what does everyone else think?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 am

Final Fantasy XII HD coming 2017 to PS4.

phpBB [video]

Square Enix has unveiled that Final Fantasy XII is being remastered for the PlayStation 4 system. Titled Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, the game is a high-definition remaster of Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System, a re-release of Final Fantasy XII with added content and improvements released exclusively in Japan back in 2007.
Packaged within the remastered title includes a number of improvements detailed within the official site (translated by Gematsu):
High-resolution upgrades for backgrounds, character models, and all 2D parts including fonts
High-resolution upgrades for movie scenes
Introduction of current generation visual expression
7.1ch surround support
High-quality voice support
English and Japanese voices (switch between them in the game configuration)
Original and newly re-recorded official soundtrack (switch between them in the game configuration)
Shorter load times
Auto-save functionality added
Improved high-speed mode and improved play time operability during high-speed mode

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Raithos
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Raithos » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:14 am

Yep, that made my fucking day to read that this morning! I've never been more hyped for a remaster besides the Team ICO Collection.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:18 am

Breakfast is ready! *passes out*
God, Square fucking rock nowadays.

Take notes, SEGA. Shenmue HD better be this good. Look at all of those options.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:08 pm

It's even prettier than FFXVI now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:19 pm

I knew you were from the future OL ;-)

We all wanted it, we all saw it coming, we all knew it was inevitable. Im glad it atleast has a tentative release window now. That Zodiac Job System though... *weeps*
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:40 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I knew you were from the future OL ;-)

:lol:
Pft, ha. Didn't catch myself.

Still, I bet this looks prettier than XVI will anyway. I always have thought of XII as just about the prettiest game in the entire series from a design standpoint.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:55 pm

I agree, its one of the greatest game worlds ever, Ivalice is just very developed (thats also due to it being in other games, and already having lore as a foundation, which helped). I just wish the story felt a bit more complete in FFXII then it would be an excellent all around game, and one of the best in the series, it has its strong points and it has some REALLY strong points at that BUT it still lacks something that makes it as memorable and classic as many of our favorite FFs. Yet despite all that, I am still pumped for this version and consider it a day one purchase.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:08 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I agree, its one of the greatest game worlds ever, Ivalice is just very developed (thats also due to it being in other games, and already having lore as a foundation, which helped). I just wish the story felt a bit more complete in FFXII then it would be an excellent all around game, and one of the best in the series, it has its strong points and it has some REALLY strong points at that BUT it still lacks something that makes it as memorable and classic as many of our favorite FFs. Yet despite all that, I am still pumped for this version and consider it a day one purchase.

It would have if Matsuno stuck around with the entire development. FFT is the best storyline in the series and Matsuno is the best writer to ever work there. Still the best FF for me, though (and the only one I've beaten to completion).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:43 pm

So XV is coming with a VR mode.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:12 am

Holy shit, the scale of some of that stuff... just nuts.
VR mode looks pretty tacked-on, but the rest of it looks pretty sweet. I was starting to feel like I just wasn't all that interested in the game anymore (the demos felt pretty "blah" after all was said and done), but some of that footage perked me right back up.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 am

I thought the dubstep fad was over? Yeah the vr part looks like some last minute thrown in gimmick. Could be fun using it while driving around the world though but the combat part looks pretty underwhelming.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Nomura states that the game is still a while away, but not to worry and that production is going at a steady pace. He also states that concrete information on the game will be released at a later time and that when it is next shown, he will appear publicly to reveal it.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/06/n ... -and-more/

I'd say this will be about 2018 at the very earliest.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:49 pm

^Hopefully it isn't Nomura's next Versus XIII.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:07 pm

The English trailer for Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV.

phpBB [video]

Not too sure what to make of this...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming