Controversial gaming opinions

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Postby OL » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Seems like most of my Sega-based mentions end up being contested (when I said Sonic Adventure 2 was better than the original, and saying JSRF was better than JSR), so maybe this won't seem controversial to some.
But Shinobi III is waaaaay better than Revenge of Shinobi. And the soundtrack is much better too, even without Yuzo Koshiro on it.

His best work wasn't even with Sega anyway (as most people seem to laud him for RoS and Streets of Rage, primarily). His best work was on Actraiser and the original Ys games. And Beyond Oasis is his most technically-impressive, in my eyes (making orchestral sounds with the Genesis sound chip and all).

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Nahovil » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:17 pm

There shouldn't be a Shenmue III.

I win.

Nahovil has received a thanks from: OL
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 pm

OL wrote: Seems like most of my Sega-based mentions end up being contested (when I said Sonic Adventure 2 was better than the original, and saying JSRF was better than JSR), so maybe this won't seem controversial to some.
But Shinobi III is waaaaay better than Revenge of Shinobi. And the soundtrack is much better too, even without Yuzo Koshiro on it.

His best work wasn't even with Sega anyway (as most people seem to laud him for RoS and Streets of Rage, primarily). His best work was on Actraiser and the original Ys games. And Beyond Oasis is his most technically-impressive, in my eyes (making orchestral sounds with the Genesis sound chip and all).

Couldn't agree more about Shinobi III, in both regards really. Also, I love the soundtrack to ActRaiser but I think his best work is ActRaiser 2 -- that soundtrack is beautiful and epic (only fitting word).

tracks like the Ice Palace:

phpBB [video]

Altheria:

phpBB [video]

and The Ending Theme:

phpBB [video]

are my favorites but I love every track really (except for maybe Industin -- it's ok). ActRaiser 1 has an Amazing soundtrack too -- they're very different really.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:44 am

Agree what Mittenz said about Wii Golf, Heavy Rain/TWD, GTA4 and ME3.

But this guy..
Nahovil wrote:There shouldn't be a Shenmue III.

I win.

ImageImage

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Chaos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 am

Nahovil wrote: There shouldn't be a Shenmue III.

I win.

Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby OL » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

I kind of agree with him. There's no way anything they make could live up to our expectations now. If it was ever going to be made, it should have happened back when Shenmue was new. But its time really is kind of past now. Of course the fan in me still wants more Shenmue, but logically, I know it'll never be as amazing as what we've all built up in our heads over the years.

OL has received a thanks from: Rakim
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Legit controversial opinion:

Even if Shenmue III would've been made, it wouldn't have been nearly as great as postulated by the fans given the limited amount of information released. I mean it would've had what, Ryo defeat Lan Di in all his emotionless glory (or maybe he would've pulled off a robotic fist pump afterwards)? And the mirror turns out to have magic powers, some of which would be given to Ryu by Shenhua? Then Ziming would kind of be there as this important guy but wholly uninteresting like most of the Shenmue characters?

Most if not all the sidequests and missions would've been running tedious errands for the towns folk in a vain effort to gain information. Honestly the only interesting thing would've been Ren since it was indicated he was going to follow Ryo because of implications of treasure, and he has the potential to fuck shit up (which was the bulk of what made Shenmue II good).

I honestly couldn't fathom what possessed Suzuki to think he needed 16 stand alone multimillion dollar chapters in the first place. As a game it was a nice experiment with cool things tacked on like the FREE system and the soundtrack, but it left much desired as an actual cinematic experience (which is what it was really intended to be).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Shenmue III wouldn't even be as interesting as that. Hell, given the information we have, he would've eventually gone "Meh, I can't be arsed avenging my father anymore. So, Shenhua, what's for tea today?"
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:52 pm

With that magic sword hovering above them.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 pm

EA should make it, and Ryo should have a gun.
And a tank!

(though I agree with Mittz that there's not much wrong with EA, the titles that people like to hate on in a lot of places, are actually usually pretty solid games.)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby JMan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:52 pm

After reading the Polygon interview I'm starting to think Suzuki should just hand Shenmue 3 over to somebody else and assume the role as an advisor at this point. I think it would be a more comfortable decision for his change in lifestyle and also I'm beginning to doubt he has a clue what he's even doing planning such ridiculously high budgets which are holding his projects back.

Not to mention its been 15 years and he doesn't know how Shenmue 3 will even begin. I feel bad for him, but I also think it would be unrealistic to force him back into this.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Few of mine have already been said in one way or another.

Every Sega console after the Mega Drive had a poor line up apart from the odd game.

David Cage doesn't deserve the shit he get's. His games may not be the best things ever but the guy has some ambition which is more than a lot of people have and I applaud him for it.

Most video game companies aren't shitty. They're just like any other business who try to make money so they can keep the lights on. Thinking the should make a game for the 'art' is unrealistic.

Fallout 3 sucked. I didn't enjoy the combat and although I'm not a massive FPS fan it would have benefited from having a shooting system like other FPS's.

HD remasters are awesome and the more of them the better.

If I don't like a game I don't see the point yelling about it in comment sections or screaming in someone's ear about it.

I don't see the point in creation games like LittleBigPlanet or Minecraft. I have no interest in making a game I just want to play one, if I did I'd probably make my own rather then do something in those games.

Final Fantasy VIII and XIII are damn fine games.

Mass Effect 3 was great. I didn't care so much about the ending as I felt many things got wrapped up well before than in a good way. Still one of the biggest accomplishments in video games ever.

I don't have time for fighting games other than Smash Bros. I see the list of moves and can't be bothered to learn them.

I hate playing online. I'm nostalgic for those nights where you played Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Smash Bros until the early hours in the same room. You wern't just playing games but bonding as you would talk about all kinds of crap, mostly stuff that had nothing to do with the game. But I don't want to talk to strangers while I play which makes it harder for stuff like co-op. Since most of my friends only play stuff like CoD or Fifa I mainly avoid it altogether.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Axm
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Nahovil » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 am

The topic quickly turned into Gaming opinions.

Kenny wrote:Legit controversial opinion:

Even if Shenmue III would've been made...

I, actually, meant what I said.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:13 pm

^I don't know what you mean by that.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:30 pm

OL: Shinobi III is onore Sega collections than Shinobi II for a reason. I don't think most people think II is better.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming