Controversial gaming opinions

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:35 am

Probably not controversial at all, but...

- Sports games tend to be the most technically brilliant video games on the market.

- Super Mario Kart 64 was wank.

- The stealth game genre is essentially the perfect type of video game due to the number of elements they encapsulate.

- Mass Effect 3's straight-forward ending made sense on a number of levels. Galactic readiness (or whatever) is down to your level of overall completion, and should have only had an impact on how far the player gets upon the return to earth. However, premature death due to the fact the player rushed it wouldn't be fair, and would also be quite frustrating to players without the time to do every little thing in the game. Also, why would a small little decision you made in the first game, such as siding with one guy in an argument, have any relevance at all on the fate of the galaxy? Decisions you made were more about the journey, the immersion, and the ending was satisfying enough. You made your choice, that's it. If your character dies, then why the fuck would you get to see the aftermath?

- There's nothing wrong with EA. Unless you're a PC gamer. Or work for them.

- DLC and digital games are potentially the best things that've happened to the industry in years.

- Online multiplayer is awesome, and I welcome the focus on it over the last five years.

- "Casual gamers" and people who have busier lives and a wider variety of hobbies and things to do are just as important a consumer base as "hardcore gamers".

- The video game industry is not a public service.

- Deadly Premonition is one of the worst games of the previous generation. For a variety of reasons.

- The same people who moan about the overabdunance of shooters over the last couple of generations never seemed to complain about JRPGs and platformers dominating the landscape.

- Minesweeper is awesome.

- So is GTA IV.

- ...and Duke Nukem Forever was still a decent game.

- Dishonored was nowhere near as good as people made it out to be. Couldn't even play it beyond the first few levels or so.

- In terms of sheer quantity of quality titles, last generation was fucking brilliant.

- Gameloft make good games.

- Shadow the Hedgehog was a fun game. Honestly, if you get a chance, play it. The sheer chaos of it all makes it a blast.

- Those who call out Heavy Rain for being an "interactive movie", yet praise the shit out of The Walking Dead are at least one fifth retarded.

- Sonic Adventure is the perfect game for kids for a variety of reasons.

- Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe did make sense as a cross-over.

- iOS games are fun. Especially Minesweeper. They just need to get rid of the overwhelming tutorial/menu screens.

- Arkham Origins was a better game than Arkham Asylum.

- The golfing game in Wii Sports was one of the best games of it's generation.

- There's nothing wrong with QTEs, and most of them make sense in the context that they're used. In the games that I've played, at least. Except for Fahrenheit. What the fuck was all that about?

- Fable II is the best of the series, which isn't as bad as everyone says it is.

- Speaking of which, many gamers don't understand the difference between a bad game and a disappointing game. And nobody seems to grasp the concept of an average game, either for that matter.

- Referring to yourself as a "gamer" is beyond cringey (even moreso since I've been sinkin endless hours into Skyrim)

- On the opposite side of the misogyny argument, developers seem to be putting way too much effort into making their games more PC.

- Indie games (or, at least "less mainstream" games) tend to get praised to fuck based on little more than the art style. Replace it with something more typical of your AAA blockbuster game, and they'd be slated.

- Turn-based combat is a fucking stupid idea and should never have been invented. Not even for Pokemon. And why, oh why did they introduce 150 (or is it 151) new Pokemon in every new game? You ruined it!

- To agree with OL, Dreamcast wasn't the best. Nowhere near. People seem to confuse "best" with "favourite". It had the potential, but didn't live up to it. Dreamcast games also seemed to be the worst in terms of character control.

And finally, Himuro, your argument regarding misogyny is ridiculous. On so many levels. Your arguments are so generic, holes are so big, that it doesn't even need picking apart, they fell apart when they left your head. But I will ask you this... how many times - in video games - do you see hair on a guy's chest? Or buck teeth? Or snot round a person's nose? How about dodgy eyes? What about genuine retards? Physical deformities? The sickeningly obese? Think about it, and stop being apologetic for being male and finding beauty more attractive than average n ugly lookin women. It's beyond stupid, and you're not winning any karma points in this game.

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Kenny, OL, Raithos
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Nahovil » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 am

As OL pointed out, it's not about misogyny. It's about androcentrism.
Having said that, games are as much androcentric as society itself.

Nahovil has received a thanks from: OL
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:42 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:

And finally, Himuro, your argument regarding misogyny is ridiculous. On so many levels. Your arguments are so generic, holes are so big, that it doesn't even need picking apart, they fell apart when they left your head. But I will ask you this... how many times - in video games - do you see hair on a guy's chest? Or buck teeth? Or snot round a person's nose? How about dodgy eyes? What about genuine retards? Physical deformities? The sickeningly obese? Think about it, and stop being apologetic for being male and finding beauty more attractive than average n ugly lookin women. It's beyond stupid, and you're not winning any karma points in this game.

Fucking LOL.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 am

-ActRaiser 2 is one of the best games on the super nintendo and is Quintet's most brilliantly designed game -- ActRaiser (the first one), while still a good game, pales in comparison to its sequel.

-Zelda II is much better than the first Legend of Zelda.

-Secret of Mana is overrated and Legend of Mana is a fucking masterpiece.

-Final Fantasy V is the best of the SNES final fantasy games and Final Fantasy IV is mostly eh -- VI is interesting but V was a better game.

-Metroid Prime is overrated. Super Metroid is much much much better and probably has the deepest gameplay of any game I've ever played.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:18 pm

-I actually enjoyed Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo on the PS2. The controls feel horrible at first, but actually give the impression that you're hauling around a war machine of massive tremendous size and weight that needs a second before changing gears and strafing in another direction. Once acclimated to the control I took great delight in perfecting a charged leap in the air with a crushing beam saber attack on unsuspecting Zaku's that did significantly more damage and killed them instantly.

And also the backgrounds were drab, but the model suits looked phenomenally detailed and they were what I kept my eyes glued on anyway. Even the show's soundtrack has been remixed amazingly well and sounds great in stereo, which is in stark contrast to the remix of the exact same songs in Federation vs Zeon, an otherwise more "fun" arcade like game. Even the intro is badass. It makes even the vulcan guns look cool!

phpBB [video]

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Loving this topic. Best read I've had in a while around here.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby OL » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: - "Casual gamers" and people who have busier lives and a wider variety of hobbies and things to do are just as important a consumer base as "hardcore gamers".

- The video game industry is not a public service.

- The same people who moan about the overabdunance of shooters over the last couple of generations never seemed to complain about JRPGs and platformers dominating the landscape.

- In terms of sheer quantity of quality titles, last generation was fucking brilliant.

- Arkham Origins was a better game than Arkham Asylum.

- There's nothing wrong with QTEs, and most of them make sense in the context that they're used. In the games that I've played, at least. Except for Fahrenheit. What the fuck was all that about?

- Speaking of which, many gamers don't understand the difference between a bad game and a disappointing game. And nobody seems to grasp the concept of an average game, either for that matter.

- On the opposite side of the misogyny argument, developers seem to be putting way too much effort into making their games more PC.

- Indie games (or, at least "less mainstream" games) tend to get praised to fuck based on little more than the art style. Replace it with something more typical of your AAA blockbuster game, and they'd be slated.

- To agree with OL, Dreamcast wasn't the best. Nowhere near. People seem to confuse "best" with "favourite". It had the potential, but didn't live up to it. Dreamcast games also seemed to be the worst in terms of character control.

Agreed on every one of these. Good points, all.

Nahovil wrote:As OL pointed out, it's not about misogyny. It's about androcentrism.

Oh, interesting. Didn't even know there was a word for that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby lavrentis » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:01 pm

GTA IV is better than GTA V.

lavrentis has received a thanks from: Axm
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Zelda is overrated as shit except for Ocarina of Time.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I doubt its controversial in anyway, but Shenmue > Shenmue II. While both are amazing games, I didn't feel the same connection with II as I did with the original. I replay the first every year around Xmas. I only replay the second every 3 or 4 years.

Also, Kenny is overrated! lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm sick of "8-bit" pixelated indie games.

Fatal Frame 3/Project Zero 3 is the best Fatal Frame/Project Zero game.

Max Payne 1 is still Remedy's best game.

I enjoyed Killer is Dead (from Suda51 & Grasshopper Manufacture) more than Bayonetta (Hideki Kamiya & Platinum Games) or any other Japanese action game last gen on home consoles, for that matter.

Halo 1 is STILL the best in the series.

Metal Gear AC!D 2 was the best Metal Gear game last generation.

Flower, Sun & Rain is my favourite game on Nintendo DS. I liked everything about that game.

I don't like Suikoden 2.

The Witcher has some of the worst gameplay I've ever experienced in an RPG.

Wii Sports is a legitimately good game. Haters be damned.

I think the Zelda games on CD-i are good and I don't understand the hate. The cutscenes are hilarious, the gameplay is fun and challenging and the music is so 90s and good.

I enjoyed the Philips CD-i game library. I enjoyed the FMV lightgun games such as Mad Dog McCree, The Last Bounty Hero and Who Shot Johnny Rock. I enjoyed the platformers like The Apprentice. And I enjoyed the super-obscure adventure games like Burn:Cycle and Lost Eden.

- Dishonored was nowhere near as good as people made it out to be. Couldn't even play it beyond the first few levels or so.

THANK YOU! Could never get into it. I much preferred Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

- Gameloft make good games.

Yup. Their Castlevania rip-off on 3DS is legit good. They do make some good stuff.

- Those who call out Heavy Rain for being an "interactive movie", yet praise the shit out of The Walking Dead are at least one fifth retarded.

I like TWD way more than Heavy Rain, but I enjoyed both. Don't really get why people hate HR's endings so much, personally.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:13 pm

I thought the first Witcher was a waste of money as well. Worst combat of pretty much any game I can think of. Like a rhythm game without the bright colors and songs to go with it. Loved Witcher 2 though.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 pm

God yeah, I was hoping they'd remake it with the combat system in their later games, but it's something that shouldn't have gotten through the concept phase. Really do not understand what the designers over at CD Projekt Red were thinking. Well, actually I do, kinda, it was supposed to be like rock, paper, scissors, which is cool in concept, but in practicality, it just does not work at all [I normally like hybrid systems in my RPGs, but this one was just bad], they just obviously never thought it through at all.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby lavrentis » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Mirror's Edge was one of the best games from last gen.

lavrentis has received 4 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, OL, Raithos
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Nahovil » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:40 pm

OL wrote:
Nahovil wrote:As OL pointed out, it's not about misogyny. It's about androcentrism.

Oh, interesting. Didn't even know there was a word for that.

I don't know if for long, but there was, clearly, an obvious need to create it.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming