Persona 5

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Persona 5

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:57 am

phpBB [video]

O.
M.
G.

persona5.jp

ShenmueTree has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Henry Spencer, OL
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: God has shown herself and her name is Persona 5.

Postby OL » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Well color me surprised.
I was so ready to hate on it, because after the lame-ass teaser they showed before (and after Atlus's completely uninspired games more recently), I was totally expecting it to just be yet another rehashing of P3&4. But this actually has a unique style all its own, while still not abandoning the groove that the earlier games established. As far as visual style and conceptual stuff goes, if this were an anime, I'd actually be excited about watching it. And that Meguro music is nothing but excellence.
Genuinely looks great.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Fuck me that was good. I'm even surprised by how demented the main character looks. Meguro on fine form, as usual. And to be honest Hashino did keep emphasising that he didn't want to retread old ground with this game. Soejima is a fine artist and I'm glad to see him stretching himself to new heights here with the Catherine art style returning.

Really reminds me of P2 with all of the masks and crazy grins. Looks like classic era ATLUS, to me and will be worth the (extremely) long wait.

Artwork:

The MC's Persona looks quite...creepy. Which sorts of fits the theme since it does look like we will be playing as a masked vigilante (thief) in this game. Talk about a change of pace from the easy going feel of P4...

EDIT: There's also this motif from P2 returning (the yellow eyes):

And at the end of the trailer, it looks like the MC is becoming his Persona this time, ala Digital Devil Saga style!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Woooow! That was awesome. I'm loving the everything about it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 pm

The menu transitions are really well done, they're almost cowboy bebop-esque, especially with that Jazzy music which oozes awesomeness btw.

Some things that I've noticed are there looks to be Action RPG elements as part of the battle system this time around, a stealth and cover system, platforming elements, as well as extremely thought out and extravagant dungeons. Seems that "Social Link" has had a name change as well.

And here's some information from Gematsu.

Producer Katsura Hashino has taken to both the official Persona website and Weekly Famitsu to discuss more about the upcoming RPG sequel.

Weekly Famitsu Interview

This is an excerpt from an interview in next week’s issue of Weekly Famitsu. Stay tuned to next week for more information about the protagonist and his persona, his friends, and the game’s systems.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard anything new. How’s development coming along?

Hashino: Things are really coming along and we’re starting to hit our quality benchmarks in terms of what goes into the game, so at this stage, we’re hard at work building the game and fleshing it out. We’re just as eager to bring this game out finally so they can enjoy what all we’ve been working on and day by day, we’re getting closer to the finish line. It’s just going to be a little while longer now before it’s here.

During our last interview, I remember you talking about how you wanted this game to depict things like the cathartic feelings that come from freeing yourself of your own chains in life and being ale to yell out to the world you’re free. Now that we know more about the game, I’d like to ask you to elucidate about the themes of the game again.

Hashino: I don’t think it’s a stretch to say in this day and age that there are a lot of people out there who feel like they aren’t moving forward, that they have no future, and carry a lot of weight on their shoulders every day. They’re stuck between a rock and a hard place, emotionally speaking; on the one hand, they might not be keen on living by the same rules and values that defined previous generations, while still lacking the will to go out and actually break those barriers down themselves. That dark side of society is a central pillar to the game we want to make with Persona 5.

In the midst of all that, though, you got these high school punks who are trying to bite back at a world that’s trying to pin them down. If our game can give people a little courage to keep going in their day to day lives, to face things head on and do something with themselves, then we’ll have done our jobs here.

But the main characters… are they thieves!?

Hashino: It’s interesting you refer to them in that way specifically because one of the things that inspired us to make this question to begin with was how, say, a classic, iconic thief in the vein of Lupin III might win the hearts and minds of people in today’s day and age if they were out running around today. There have been a lot of books and films over the years that explored the sorts of lives that thieves live and how they’re able to shake up the world with what many would perceive to be sheer brazenness, but that’s not ground that’s very well covered in games and we intend to rectify that. We want our players to be able to empathize with these characters and enjoy seeing what they get themselves into and we’re giving it everything we’ve got to make sure that comes through loud and clear in the final game.

Persona Channel Message

Good evening, everyone. This is Hashino from the Persona Team. It’s been a long time coming, but we’ve finally started showing you some proper footage from Persona 5. What do you make of it so far? The trailer hasn’t been put out yet as I write this, so, to be honest, I’m actually feeling a little on edge about how people will react to it. If we get people to stand up and take notice, especially in terms of the overt thievery and what we’re paying homage to, then we’re on the right track. As long as there’s something that gets everyone even just a little existing, I’ll be content.

In a nutshell, if I were trying to explain what this game is trying to evoke, I’d say it’s like if you took something like a picaresque novel and then threw in, for lack of a better word, realistic, down to earth “academy juveniles.” In previous Persona games, the stories revolved around pretty traditional heroes going after villains that most anyone one would be loath to associate themselves with; they pursued the bad guys for the sake of justice, essentially. This time around, though, the protagonists of Persona 5 themselves are on the run for doing what they think is right after something happens completely out of the blue. That mixture of thrills and not-so-larger-than-life cast of characters is what composes the idea of “academy juveniles” for us. We think that these characters that are going to be a little rougher around the edges than those who have come before them in the series, coupled with the strides we’ve made in visual and sound design we can pull off something really special here.

Even more so than before, I feel like we’re pouring our hearts into this game. As an Atlus game, we try to make games that stand out amongst the crowd, but put in another light, individuality of that sort isn’t always a blessing per se. It can mean diverging from what’s normal, break from the rules, project the image of trouble, especially when applied to people. But to us, individuality in people isn’t purely good or bad; rather it’s something that has the power to change how people think and act when they’re touched by it. We might live in a world that’s less than accommodating to a lot of us and hard to live in. But so long as people don’t give up on reaching out to one another, the individuality that shines both at the individual level and from groups as a whole can help us break through that feeling of oppression and feel free. This is a game we really want to walk the walk and we hope from the bottom of our hearts that it’ll leave a mark on people after it’s all said and done.

We want to put out the best game we can, so we’re counting on you to keep supporting us as we bring this thing to life! (Make sure to tell us everything you have to say on Twitter, your blogs, wherever!)

Thanks!

– Katsura Hashino

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/persona-5-di ... evelopment
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:EDIT: There's also this motif from P2 returning (the yellow eyes):

That's just a classic SMT thing as it is.
Two of my favorites do it:

OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:08 am

You're right, ATLUS just love their creepy eyes. Still, if the MC turns into his Persona, that would be freaking badass.

Also, it looks like Kaneko's Demons are in the game now, since I spotted Sandman and Pyro Jack in the trailer, instead of those boring shadows in P3 and P4! Kaneko Demon designs in full 3D! (No offence to SMT4, but his artwork deserves the full treatment). That might mean we see other ATLUS games using those models in future games on the platform?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 01, 2015 4:45 pm

More here:

http://gematsu.com/gallery/persona-5/may-1-2015/

This from the PS3 version. :-o
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Re: Persona 5

Postby south carmain » Tue May 12, 2015 1:51 am

Persona 5, Atlus’ upcoming RPG for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, was previously slated for a 2015 release in Japan and North America. In the recent full year 2015 earnings release for SEGA SAMMY (the company that owns Atlus), Persona 5‘s release window has been revealed as an October to December 2015 launch, both in Japan and North America.

http://personacentral.com/persona-5-rel ... -revealed/

Kinda glad it's an end of the year release. It'll allow me to dedicate as much time as possible in to Yakuza 5 when released this summer.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Axm » Tue May 12, 2015 8:17 am

Looks perfect.

I bet it does release in Japan this year, but the western version will be advertised and preorders pushed for this year only to be delayed so they can get more preorders in again.
Just a hunch. Hope it does it this year though. Regardless ill buy the Japanese version too anyways.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:54 pm

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Whoa... very first shot of the trailer made me flash back to Ghost in the Shell. :lol:
That helicopter and cityscape I mean.

Otherwise, it's mostly stuff we'd already seen. Still looks great, and sounds even better (thank you Shoji Meguro).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Jesse » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:55 pm

The new trailer looks awesome. I am completely surprised that it doesn't have a release date though. I was 100% certain leading up to today that it would. Still hope this releases in September in Japan and December in the States.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby OL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:35 pm

My only hope is that we'll get dual audio tracks this time around. Namco have been smart enough to start doing that with their Tales series; no reason at all that Atlus USA shouldn't learn a thing or two from that.
Not that the previous Persona games had bad dubs or anything, I'm just so tired of listening to the same old Northern American voices and accents which scream absolutely nothing but "anime" when I hear them.
OL
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming