Persona 5

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona 5

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Persona awakenings sure are disturbing this time around and look really painful.

Love the presentation all around, the mysterious feel does remind me of Persona 2 the most. This game is going into some dark places, which I was not expecting (I mean, I was expecting some level of intensity, don't get me wrong, but some of this is definitely reflective of the real world in some stark ways). Atmosphere/style so far is actually approaching mainline SMT for me. Humour is on point too. The game is a visual treat with those cel shaded character models, Kazuma Kaneko Demons in HD (finally!), the stunning anime sequences, beautiful UI designs/menus and Soejima character portraits. Even the start menu was stunning and reminded me of Jet Set Radio. I love that each Persona is so interesting this time around too
Fucking Goemon, Captain Kidd and Zorro? Does it get more bad ass then that, seriously?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Axm
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 am

Reading all these reviews and headlines about the game "The best JRPG in quite a long time" and shit, and reading and realizing how stylized everything is and just how awesome the game is, is making me to just head for home now and start playing... But I shall not do that, and jump right into it once I get home. For some strange reason, I actually want to play this game around launch because I have been really been that hyped for it. I have heard this game lives up to the hype and beyond, so I really cannot wait to get my hands on it and dive in.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Persona 5

Postby Axm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Its fantastic. And really no reason to not play it at launch. With it being out in japan 6 months prior its been patched and ready for us for a long time now.
Im really enjoying the story, world, combat, everything.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:33 am

I hate you all
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I'll probably buy it soon, just because I tend to do that with all SMT games around launch (retarded-ass chibi and dancing side-games notwithstanding), but I don't even really feel like playing it at the moment. Too wrapped up in other games to give it a thought. I haven't even gotten back into Yakuza 0 yet.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

This game is too good. I want to make impressions but not until the game fully opens up and I get some more meat. As someone who has been an avid fan of SMT games, this game is really delivering. Seeing SMT demons in HD on my tv after years of being relegated to handhelds is too good a feeling to articulate how much I appreciate it.

That said, I'll stick to the basics for now.

Story is really good so far. Very emotional in that classic Persona way. It feels like it has a lot of elements of older Persona stories (particularly 2). Rumors for example, are a huge narrative sub plot and theme. It has the grit of old Persona with the charm of new Persona. It makes a very beautiful mix and feels like a celebration of the series in general. The game goes through very dark, very fucked up material in its early hours. It's unsettling and they manage to pull it off by my estimation.

Gameplay I can't accurately judge because I'm still in the tutorial. It's opening up but still not fully yet. Negotiation is back and like with past Persona's it seems like the negotiation is very in tune with demons' personalities. It's not as in-depth as P2 negotiation, but maybe there'll be more options down the road. Difficulty it's a breeze so far of course because of the fact I'm still on the tutorial. One point of attention is the fact that dungeons aren't random anymore like in P3/4. The first dungeon so far is pretty boring in terms of layout and design but they haven't fully taken the wheels off. I'm hoping for more traditional SMT dungeon crawling in this game due to the fact the dungeons aren't random. Here's hoping.

Style-wise, while I understand why people are saying it's crazy stylish, I mean, it's not anything different than what they were doing with P3 and 4. It's basically the same thing. Even has animated menus like 4. I think in some aspects some people are blowing their too much on this element mostly because they're new to the series or getting too drawn into the hype (which is understandable). That's not to say the presentation isn't amazing, but if you've played P4 you know what to expect. It's that but in HD.

More importantly is that it's the first SMT game I've played that feels like it's not made with a niche game budget. Previous SMT games weren't graphical wonders, and neither is this one, but the budget makes up for it this time despite the fact that we're playing what is ultimately a PS3 game.

Music is by Meguro so of course it's amazing.

Ultimately it feels and plays like a unique mix of old and new Persona. I think this should satisfy both old and new fans.

Here's hoping for SMTV with this engine because....giggidy.

Can't stop thinking about the game. I'm at work now and want to be at home playing. God I love SMT. This game is triggering so many good memories with the series.
Last edited by Himuro on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Ugh. I said I'd keep it short but I can't. I have to gush. I've been waiting for this for so long and it delivers so hard right now. I have to gush. I've earned this dammit.

Persona 3 is my favorite rpg probably ever. I've played a lot of RPGs. I don't think P3 is the best one I've played, but I think that, for my tastes, it just checked all of my personal boxes. At the time of release, other Megaten fans were lamenting the game for the changes: the more approachable game difficulty, the sim elements, but I embraced them and really fell in love despite all of that. For me, what does it is the formula. In Civilization, you have "one more turn", right? But in Persona 3 it was "one more day" for me. Any time I played the game I couldn't just leave it at one day, or two days. Each play session had to be two hours minimum. Persona 3 was my addiction when it came out.

I love P4 but let's be honest, it's just more P3. P3's formula wasn't as fresh and in a way, the social links in 4 were far less poignant and interesting. I was worried that with P5, all those years ago, that the the formula would stagnate.

I'm here to report that it hasn't. As said, I'm at work and itching to scratch my itch. The love for P3 formula, one more day, has never left. I haven't seen any big improvements to the formula because, again, in tutorial, but it just feels so right being back doing that one more day thing. Like a wound twisted with a rose thorn.

This game takes me back. Not only in a wistful nostalgic way, but it just feels RIGHT.

What's even better? All the attention and praise. Back in the day, you had to pre order Atlus games or you would not get your copy. The games were rare, low print, hard as balls, didn't hold your hand, extremely niche dungeon crawlers. We had our audience and fan base but it was really small. Even after P3 it still felt small. But P5 finally my series is getting the love, adulation, and attention it deserves and it feels so vindictive and good. People who wouldn't try these games out because they perceived them to be as inferior to Final Fantasy or had low budgets are playing P5 and while that made me bitter at first, the more I think about it makes me so happy.

For years we jrpg niche fans had to deal with our genre being called for pedophiles, archaic, non-games. To see so many people eat crow and their words and finally get out of it what I and so many others have, is just an amazing feeling and makes me happy to be into games again.

I literally saw SMT go from niche series no one gave a fuck about to it going mainstream. This is how old FF fans must have felt when FF7 came out and it feels amazing.

Can't wait to get home. "One more day."

Oh. Found my old thread. Should be of use when the next SMT drops.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44908

Thank you OL for keeping it alive all these years.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Looks like the game is a great success for Atlus:

Persona 5 ships over 1.5 million worldwide just days after P5 released in the West.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/persona-5-wo ... -5-million

Persona 5 is by far the biggest launch for the series in the UK - #1

Launched on Tuesday on PS4 and PS3 and receiving glowing reviews, ‘Persona 5’ from Atlus/Deep Silver debuts at No1. It is the first J-RPG (Japanese RPG) to debut at the top of the All Formats Chart since ‘Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch’ back in W5 2013 (‘Final Fantasy XV’ launched at No2, but it had to contend with ‘FIFA 17’). It is by far the biggest launch for a ‘Persona’ title and the first ever All Formats No1 for developer and publisher Atlus.

Japan is back, baby.

(Yakuza 0 is the best selling Yakuza in the West since the PS2 era, Nier: Automata sold over a million copies worldwide and is considered by Square as a great success, same goes for Nioh for Tecmo-Koei who seemed really chuffed reaching over a million sales worldwide too)

I just hope that Atlus take a leaf out of From Software's book and stay the same as they are, since they were attempting to chase after certain audiences a little while ago, so hopefully they keep releasing quality games. Happy for them though, they were niche, now they've pretty much reached From Software's level of popularity, I think.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Himuro
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:05 pm

You did it Atlus. =D>

Now please don't change. I swear, don't. All these years, I've stuck with you. You've been my favorite developer since 2005. You've always released quality games. Please never change and remember where you came from. [-o<
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14 am

Hmm.

Couple things as I play more and get into the meat of the game.

Dungeon design - linear but interesting gimmicks. Nothing notable so far. Considering Atlus' penchant for excellent dungeon design, soemthing to look at as the game progresses.

Freedom - complete backstep from P3. In P3 you have multiple cycles through the day. While in 5 you are stuck with really one choice per day. This seems good at first because it makes things more tense. But then the next day you decide to go to the dungeon. In P3 you could prep. After school you have the choice of hanging out with an s link or going to a club or working a job or studying in the library. Right now in P5 I have items I want to sell for sweet cash to build up my compendium. Except I can't because by choosing "let's go to the dungeon today" it automatically goes to the rooftop and I can't do anything else that day. I can't prep and make choices. Combined with the fact that you can only do the dungeon after school and not in the evening like in P3/4 makes the game feels small and limited.

In P3 I made a literal calendar, in real life, for how I wanted to go through a week in that game. I can't do that in P5 and for this reason it's not as addictive. Less sim periods means less choice. The result is what appears to be a smaller, far more guided game. Right now with 12 days left until my deadline the only real choice is to beat the dungeon. Since there's only one real choice, it doesn't feel like a choice. This completely ruins the Persona 3 sim game structure because what makes it so fun is the balance between day (school) and night (dark hour). If you always have to choose between dungeoning and school, there is no balance and if there is no balance then the game loses its unique game structure and gameplay loop. Awful design.

Battles - very boring so far for a Megaten vet. So far the only silver lining is that sp healing items feel limited so I can't just beat the entire dungeon in one day.

Story and characters are great but the gameplay...I just don't know. Still fun, but it just feel limited to me. What were they thinking making you choose between doing the dungeon and studying/doing a part time job/s links? Bad design choice.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I cannot wait to get home to play... only a couple more days in Florida and im binging Persona 5 like a Heroin addict.

Also guys... I think the JRPG genre may be making a return! Not that it entirely left, and mainly got popular again via mobile games and indie games most of which I have no idea about but have heard. But in this particular case, I think it just comes down to it being a good game in popular series. Also we havent seen a new iteration since the PS2, so it was bound to blow up like this after how awesome P3 and P4 were. I hope we continue to see more/similar projects making its way west soon too. Caligula for PSVita comes out May 2nd as well, here is the trailer.

phpBB [video]
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:15 pm

I just stopped playing.

Sad, but whatchu gonna do.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm

What's this Persona 5 business? Never heard of Persona 1-4.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:15 pm

^ you're fucking up
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 pm

This game is OK. Not as good as Himuro's roller coaster ride of emotions though lol.

I will say they went over the top with all the screen clutter. Always something covering/flashing across every inch of the TV. It was expected but its seriously distracting to me where P3/P4 wasn't in the slightest. Small gripe but its consistent. Honestly digging everything else though. Barely 20 hours in so looking forward to this four day weekend.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming