Persona 5

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona 5

Postby Jesse » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:10 am

Persona 4 Golden is a wonderful upgrade over the original with bonus content and etc. That's how I got into the series though I heard about the series for years and years. When P4 released I already had a ps3 and my ps2 had quit working . I've probably beaten p4g 4 times. It's those characters and that world that have drawn me in each time. I have p3psp as well and I enjoyed my time with it but never finished it for one reason or another. I intended on barreling through both of them in anticipation over p5 Dec release alas now I have time to jump back in to p3psp. I got to June in that game

During the “ATLUS PRESENTS PERSONA SPECIAL STAGE” TGS 2015 event, a special anime adaptation broadcast for Persona 5 was announced. There are no details for the date or what the special broadcast will entail as of yet.

Additionally, during the Persona TGS 2015 live stream, a “20th Anniversary Celebration Project” was announced for the Persona series, with a montage video of all the Persona game openings from Persona: Revelations to Persona 5. Details concerning this 20th anniversary festival for the series will be announced at a later date

Following its instrumental version first heard in the Feb trailer, the opening theme for Persona 5 has been fully revealed along with its singer, Lyn...

Perhaps most notably, the footage debuts a new character joining the previously confirmed cast, a blue-haired painter who appears to be a student.

http://youtu.be/TBofQ_WgKdw
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:02 am

As well as it being the 20th Anniversary of Persona, it will be the 30th Anniversary of Megami Tensei (Or MegaTen, for short) in 2017 as a whole (which incorporates pretty much every Atlus RPG) and they've been teasing they will have things planned for that also. So I reckon lots of remakes or upgraded ports are on the cards, possibly. Merchandise too, no doubt. Exciting times.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Jesse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:25 pm

New details on Persona 5, including the reveal of its fifth party member, have leaked via Japanese magazines.

Our heroes shake up the big city as the “Heart’s Phantom Thieves.” They send notice in advance to persons to confess their crimes and reform, and set out to steal the “rotten hearts” from “rotten adults” for the sake of changing a rotten world.

The fifth member of the Phantom Thieves is a young man named Yuusuke Kitagawa, voiced by Tomokazu Sugita. His persona is Goemon. He is a scholarship student that attends the Kousei Public High School as part of the academy’s art course. He is a live-in disciple of his Japanese painter landlord Madarame.

According to the director of the Tekken series Katsuhiro Harada, he was out drinking with the Persona director Kazuhisa Wada, Persona designer Daisuke Kanada and the Gravity Daze/Rush director Keiichiro Toyama.

As they were drinking sake, Harada says that the reactions from the fans when Persona 5‘s delay from 2015 to Summer 2016 was announced on Niconico apparently made Kanada have a pale reaction.

After that, the members out drinking concluded that maybe it would be better to return to work.
This scenario could possibly be related to why Hashino was too busy to make it to the TGS 2015 Game Awards ceremony—thanking the fans despite this in that blog post—where Persona 5 was fan voted at the convention as one of the most anticipated games:

Ace Attorney 6 (3DS)
Star Wars Battlefront (PC / PS4 / Xbox One)
Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS4 / PS3)
Tokyo Xanadu (PS Vita)
Dragon Quest Builders (PS4 / PS3 / PS Vita)
The Last Guardian (PS4)
Final Fantasy XV (PS4 / Xbox One)
Fallout 4 (PC / PS4 / Xbox One)
Persona 5 (PS4 / PS3)
Monster Hunter X (3DS)

Jesse has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Spoilers below, but boy, this has gotten me really excited:

Well, here's the Personas of P5:

Main character's Persona is Arsene Lupin (yes, that Lupin, the legendary fictional thief and what the famous anime series is based upon)

Arsène Lupin is a fictional gentleman thief and master of disguise created by French writer Maurice Leblanc.

Ann Takamaki's Persona is Carmen (a fictive gypsy whose tales are often adapted into Opera plays throughout Europe)

Carmen is a fictive female gypsy created by Prosper Mérimée. She first appeared in Mérimée's novella eponymous novella that was first written and published in 1845. The novella was adapted into a variety of different genres, most notably the opera Carmen by French composer Georges Bizet which diverges in significant points from Mérimée's original story. In the end of the tale her lover stabs her to death over and over before turning himself in to the authorities.

Ryuji Sakamoto's Persona is Captain William Kidd. (A legendary Scottish pirate who was unjustly executed by evil English noblemen).

William Kidd is a Scottish pirate in the 17th century who was tried and executed for piracy after returning from a voyage to the Indian Ocean. Believing he was safe from being put on trial for pirating due to connections in England, he was betrayed by his fellow crewmates and supposed friends in England and was found guilty of murder and theft. He was hung and after the rope broke on the first attempt was hung a second time.

Morgana's Persona is Zorro (Yes, that Zorro!)

Zorro is a fictional character created in 1919 by New York–based pulp writer Johnston McCulley. His true name is Don Diego de la Vega. Zorro is a Californio nobleman of Spanish and Native Californian descent, living in Los Angeles during the reign of the Spanish. He is a masked outlaw who defends commoners and the indigenous peoples of the land against tyrannical officials and other villains.

Yusuke Kitagawa's Persona is Goemon (Yes, the Mystical Ninja, the Japanese Robin Hood who stole from the rich and gave to poor, the man who tried to assassinate Oda Nobunaga and supposedly almost succeeded as well as his failed attempt on Toyotomi Hideyoshi's life which cost both him and his son's life, the thief who was boiled alive for his crimes, oh yeah and of course, the blue haired Konami game mascot...dude was a bad ass, all in all).

Ishikawa Goemon (石川 五右衛門?, 1558 – October 8, 1594) was a semi-legendary Japanese outlaw hero who stole gold and valuables and gave them to the poor.[1] Goemon is notable for being boiled alive along with his son in public after a failed assassination attempt on the civil war-era warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi. His legend continues to live on in contemporary Japanese popular culture, often with greatly exaggerated ninja skills.

Seems like all of these Personas have a lot in common, eh? Some of them were unjustly killed all in gruesome ways - Goemon was boiled alive, Carmen was stabbed over 10 times by her lover, William Kidd was hung and his first rope snapped, having to be hanged again before finally dying. All of them were betrayed by people they had trust in, all of them could be called "rebels" against their own society's ways and all live on through legends and in fictional work to this day.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm no fan of the Persona series by any means, but damn that trailer looks awesome! Looks like a day one purchase for sure.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 pm

I can't stop drooling.

Also some opinions derived from PVs and such.

SPOILERS:

Looks like there's a seven deadly sins theme going on, and that they're all thieves that justify their actions by saying they're rebelling the powerfully corrupt of the world. Also, it looks like there will be a rumor system a la Persona 2? And you potentially actually participate in the social activities this time around via actual mini games rather than just observe them? Dungeons have A LOT of variety, platforming, stealth, interactivity. Graphics are gorgeous, the asthetics ohoooboii. Have yet to see anything about social links though. And we need at least 2 more playable characters I think.

anway, the game looks AMAAAZEBALLS. i'll forgive the delay since it can only mean it'll be even better. and the anime might actually make sense this time around. (disclaimer: i am one of the few people who actually like the persona anime series along with the p3 movies. Just I think they don't make sense... but they're entertaining, xd/)

so if a delay = better game. okay! but is that even fucking possible? haha

shenmue3 and p5 are the reason to own a ps4.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Yeah it really looks like the fixed most of the things that held the previous games back and made them feel tedious. I love persona but it always kinda felt that they didnt have the funds to make it as good as it could be or what they wanted it to be. I'm not getting that vibe from 5.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm

south carmain wrote: Yeah it really looks like the fixed most of the things that held the previous games back and made them feel tedious. I love persona but it always kinda felt that they didnt have the funds to make it as good as it could be or what they wanted it to be. I'm not getting that vibe from 5.

I know. Christ, Persona 3 was tedious, I spent 75 hours and only got half way through the game, but went deeeeeeppppp into the content of the game. I put the game down for about 6-8 months and tried to jump back in but there was no way I could remember what I was trying to do what social links and interactions I had to make sure not to miss to go down the paths I wanted to. I loved that game, but it was too much too remember, like you may want to consider writing down a physical journal of what you want to do for that game cause there is literally that many options and choices, also a guide is an absolute must if you want the game to go a specific way, or get the specific girl etc. P3 was mind boggling, but such a deep and excellent game.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:54 am

I've also gotten deep into Persona 3 FES and then deep into P3P but never finished it. Long game.
P4 though, that was just a better game all around imo so it was easy to finish.
1 and the two P2's I still have yet to play despite Yama's insistency that I do.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 am

Fuck you guys, P3P and Fes are amazing.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:40 pm

No one is saying that they are bad or even mediocre. However there's no denying that certain parts of the game are extremely tedious even for the most patient and really make it feel like it's dragging on sometimes. The main culprit being tartarus where you will spend a huge portion of your time climbing its 265 floors that barely change in appearance while fighting rather repetitive battles which in fes can drag on more than they need to because one of your team mates decided that they didnt want to exploit the enemy's weakness and instead insists on casting marin karin over and over again.

Levelling up your non combat stats can be quite boring too since it's just a matter of choosing to do the same activities over and over again with no player interaction or interesting story.

There's also the fact that you spend a huge amount of time in tiny locations making things feel even more repetitive although this does make you appreciate visiting new locations on school trips and at the end of each month a lot more.

Overall I woul say the good outweigh the bad by a fair margin but it isn't without it's faults which I'm glad to see are being fixed in 5.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:49 pm

I was just being playful. Don't worry.

And after a lot of contemplation I have got to say, I prefer tartarus to persona 4 dungeons. I just like the mechanics more. I like enemies running away so you know not to bother with them when you want to just level up, I like splitting up the party so they can do other things like find items and level up as well.

While 4's dungeons themes are enjoyable, they're very claustrophobic. They're basically just hallways with many branching paths. The only thing I like more in P4 dungeon design is the arcana card and shuffle time enhancements. I also miss skill cards

this is all ps2 version btw. i hear that golden has many improvements. but yeah 3 fes/p3p dungeons I prefer.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:53 pm

I don't particularly like the dungeons in 4 either and I played golden. I find them to be just as empty and repetitive as tartarus however they don't drag on as long and there is more variation in the way they look.

My post was wasn't really a comparison. Most of the things that I disliked about p3 weren't really fixed in P4 (although they did remove the sick system thankfully).

I prefer 3 to 4 personally due to the setting, story and S-links though.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Thinking on it I feel that P2 probably has the best dungeon designs in the series up until this point. From navigating park mazes full of demons to TV stations that spread lies and rumours over facts to underground bases fighting against Nazis; it's rather crazy. Plus the music in P2 is just the best in the series too. That keyboard synth sound is really wonderful. P3 I still haven't finished and I've played a lot of Atlus RPGs at this point. I just found Tartarus just so repetitive and the bosses rather lacking compared to other MegaTen games that I've played. I'd even go as far as to say P3 is my least favourite MegaTen game I've ever played. Which is a shame since Hashino, the director, is normally on top form when it comes to game design, every other game he's made from Shin Megami Tensei 3 to Catherine to Persona 4 have all been rock solid in the dungeon designs and the boss designs.

Thankfully the look of P5 is aiming for a really varied style and with a lot fun gameplay systems on offer, from stealth to mini-games you can play this time to jumping into paintings and platforming on chandeliers, it's really amazing stuff.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:59 am

You can't compete a fighter like Persona against Dead Or Alive, you just can't.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming