Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Postby OL » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Not really any new info just yet, aside from the new title, but this may as well be confirmation that we'll be seeing something of the new Mirror's Edge at E3.
http://www.pcgamer.com/mirrors-edge-cat ... -a-sequel/
Just really hoping they don't eff this up.
There was a certain simplicity to everything in the original game that made me automatically fond of it. Wasn't a big fan of the whole "reboot" idea when this was first announced. And I'm not big on Faith's new design (somehow it almost feels like they've made her too "stylish" and "pretty." Part of her initial appeal was that she was a little less done-up, a little less cliche as female videogame heroes go, and that's not quite so apparent now).
But whether the new one has a better story is completely negligible to me; the only thing that matters is that it retains the same feel that the original game gave off. Achieve that and I'll be completely happy.
Just waiting for June 15th now, I guess.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven't said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

About a month ago EA said it'll be out in Q1 2016 so not to long now.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Story is still important to me only because it was so shit in the original.

If they don't make an effort to improve it, they might as well just release it as a set of playable levels of just running around doing stuff with no context of what you're doing if that's all they wanna focus their attention on.

Either way, I hope they have a playable build or at the very least show off more stuff.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 am

^^Story is still important for context, of course (the first game without one would have been utterly lifeless), but I think I just always took the first game as being... sort of more akin to older games I guess, like 16-bit platformers and whatnot. The real focus is the gameplay, visuals, and sound, but the story just loosely hangs around to move you between areas.
A more involved story for the new one would be welcome, obviously. I'm just wary of there being too much story, if that makes sense; tell too much, spend too much time on it, take the wrong steps in it, and the tone could be ruined. All very easy mistakes to make, especially nowadays, with so much push to make everything serious and dark and all that. I'd gladly take the first game's generally throwaway narrative over the kind of tripe that gets passed off as "mature" storytelling in most games nowadays.
So like I said, I'm just wary is all.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Stuff like Call of Duty is more of an example of a game that doesn't need to have a story, yet it tries to anyway.

Mirror's Edge, on the other hand, needs one. Doesn't even need to be too in-depth or complicated, something simple with simple goals and plot that make it more involving otherwise all the communications in-game with Merc are moot.

I know what you're saying, don't let the story take over the game like MGS does. I just want one that less shitty. In fact, the original had too many cutscenes that just stopped the flow of the game by attempting to make us give a shit about Faith's sister. Fuck that noise. Just make it simple and action packed, then you have something incredibly big. Focus on just Faith, give her no family, and then roll out the story slowly as it goes on if you want to.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 am

I bought the original ME for the 360 one day. For no reason I can really remember, and still to this day it's in my storage unit still sealed and unopened.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yama » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:59 pm

OL wrote: ^^Story is still important for context, of course (the first game without one would have been utterly lifeless), but I think I just always took the first game as being... sort of more akin to older games I guess, like 16-bit platformers and whatnot. The real focus is the gameplay, visuals, and sound, but the story just loosely hangs around to move you between areas.
A more involved story for the new one would be welcome, obviously. I'm just wary of there being too much story, if that makes sense; tell too much, spend too much time on it, take the wrong steps in it, and the tone could be ruined. All very easy mistakes to make, especially nowadays, with so much push to make everything serious and dark and all that. I'd gladly take the first game's generally throwaway narrative over the kind of tripe that gets passed off as "mature" storytelling in most games nowadays.
So like I said, I'm just wary is all.

Agreed. It was definitely about gameplay and art direction to me. A virtual trip if you will.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I find the redesign a bit unnecessary and possibly a bad sign that they're focussing on catering to what's popular rather than what they want to do. Though they haven't even showed gameplay footage yet so I'll bite my tongue for now.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is slated for a 26th February release in Europe on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

North Americans will receive it three days earlier on 23rd February.

This won't be a sequel to Mirror's Edge, but will rather follow the origins of series stalwart Faith.

Unlike the previous Mirror's Edge, Catalyst won't have separate levels or load times, but will rather be set in a free-roaming open-world environment.

As with previous Mirror's Edge games, there will be time trials in addition to a story campaign.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm still a bit... leery. The thought that it'll be a full open world is pretty incredible (although I did like the focused levels of the original), and they seem to have retained a good aural likeness to the original (the soundtrack and atmospheric noise was very important to establishing its overall vibe). So that's all great.
But is it just me, or does it all feel a little too... high-tech?
Like it almost feels closer to Remember Me than it does to the original Mirror's Edge. I dunno, I personally felt part of the charm of the original was the low-tech atmosphere of it; it felt closer to modern day (or hell, maybe even the 90s) in terms of how advanced the city felt. It was all very basic; the cops might have SWAT gear and H&K's, maybe a helicopter here and there, but it didn't feel like sci-fi at all. Aside from the city's primary-colored appearance, it felt surprisingly grounded, which was very important.
Maybe it's just the trailer, but this one practically looks sci-fi all the way.
Not that that's something terrible. It looks pretty cool, whatever the case.
I was just really hoping that they'd be striving to preserve the original's basic groove as much as possible. Some of it is there, but certainly not all of it.

Ah well, I'm sure I'll learn to get past it and just enjoy the game as its own entity. It's only due to bias that I have any problems with it. If I'd never played the original, I'd be hyped for this.
So y'know, I'll still play the hell out of it, probably enjoy myself immensely.
Gonna hit right before my birthday too, so that'll be nice.

OL has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:24 am

Is the bad guy in this based on anyone?

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:28 am

They're really putting the "edge" in "mirror's edge" in this title.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Mirror's Edge Catalyst has completely removed shooting from the series.

"In Mirror's Edge Catalyst, you won't be using any guns at all," senior producer Sara Jansson said in an interview with Polygon. "We've completely removed that aspect of the game. You can't even pick them up."

Instead, players will go the Batman route of pummeling foes only insofar as to incapacitate them, but not shed their mortal coil.

Furthermore, staying in motion actually keeps player character Faith impervious to bullets. "When she stitches together move after move without failing and keeps her momentum going, she's actually invulnerable to bullets," Jansson explained. "That can keep her out of harm's way. It's only when she stops that she can get hurt."

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is slated for a 26th February release in Europe (and 23rd in North America) on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Thank god no more shooting segments. Those were awful.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:06 pm

I went the Batman route regardless. Y'know, with me being Batman n'all.

But yeah, got the Remember Me-vibe off it too. It looks great, but I'm pretty disappointed that they seem to have removed the motion comic-style cut scenes.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Next

Return to General Gaming