Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Postby OL » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:21 am

No, it is a total reboot.
Which, while not the popular opinion, is a bit of a disappointment to me. The first game's story might not have been great, but the better option would have been to just make a better sequel, not pretend the first didn't happen.
Besides, the first game had more of a "cool and collected" attitude to it which, even if the plot was weak, was preferable to this in my eyes. The way the trailer makes Catalyst look, it seems like the basic idea was to make everyone yell at each other, as if that's a prime way of creating drama. Really they've just made it look way too serious, killing a lot of the "cool" tone that the original had.
Guess I should reserve judgment until I actually play it, but as it is, I'm not liking the story tone so far.
Eh, it'll still probably be a day-1 for me anyway. I just love the original too much.

OL has received a thanks from: KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:55 am

When did they say it was a reboot ?? All the news I've heard were about a prequel.

I also liked the chill aspect of mirror's edge, some of the time trials were more enjoyable than the game, also this looks more cluttered, and hopefully the "openworldness" of the thing doesn't detract from some of the really tight sections the first one had.

But yeah, they needed a prequel (or a reboot), because the "the goberment is bad, they impeded a protest, put a lot of cameras and clean a lot. We are the rebels and act as curriers giving whatever to whomever because we rebel" was wonky as fuck.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:13 pm

shredingskin wrote: When did they say it was a reboot ?? All the news I've heard were about a prequel.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... -a-reboot/
Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst is a reboot. We basically took the things we really liked about the first game. Faith, first and foremost, the first-person free-running gameplay, and also the aesthetics, which we’ve built on, of course. But it’s a reboot.
We’re telling Faith’s origin story, so the events of the first game actually don’t really exist. Maybe they will at one time in the future.

The language is a little ambiguous in that second part, but basically they're ignoring the first game entirely from a story perspective. So yeah, may as well be a reboot. They word it as if the original game could end up a part of the same timeline if they decide so in the future, but come on... it was pretty clear in the original that Faith had never gotten involved in anything so big and dangerous before, so something like Catalyst (which is obviously aiming for even bigger things) couldn't possibly have happened beforehand. Also the city and aesthetic style are different enough that it couldn't be the same stuff from the first game. So I'd say calling it a reboot is the safer bet.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Yup, reboot. But to me that's okay. That and the apparently (not watching the trailers) newly added screaming at each other and general drama. It's the price we have to pay for this game to even exist. The first one didn't take off financially, so they're trying to turn it into a hit this time, by selling it as a spectacular story. Can't really blame them of you ask me.

Monkei has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Finally got the funds together to pre-order the collectors edition! Can't wait!

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Sonoshee wrote:Finally got the funds together to pre-order the collectors edition! Can't wait!

Ohhhh smegging hell Sonoshee I'm sooooo jealous of you :-p I've contemplated getting it but as you know it's steep! Plus i wouldn't know where to put that beautiful statue. I've preordered, but I might be getting the art book instead as I have it for the first game and it's phenomenonal.

I'm so hyped about this game beyond words, i just have a feeling it's gonna be awesome from what i played at EGX. I played the original to death and I'm just wanting the next one lol. And i don't usually get that hyped about stuff, unless it's a fighting game or is Shenmue-related of course.

Out of interest, have you read the prequel comic that came out in the past month? I binge read them via kindle just the other day (it isn't very long, like 30mins) but it's great and definitely sets up the new characters well + clearly establishes that this is a reboot.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Hello everyone,

As you know, we’re about to open the gates to the city of Glass for participants of the Closed Beta. One of the key features of the Beta and the full game is Social Play, detailed in our latest developer diary.

Taking on Dashes designed by DICE, creating your own Time Trials, climbing the Leaderboards, and connecting with your Runner friends are some of the Social Play features we’re really excited about – and something we want to play flawlessly.

To support the Social Play features, we are using a brand new online technology. We also want to make sure we have the opportunity and time to address player feedback from the Closed Beta. That is why we will give ourselves a bit more time to perfect the game, with a new release date for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst of June 7th (NA) and June 9th (EU). We’re confident that these extra two weeks will make sure the game is as amazing as possible for you the players.

Thank you all for your continued support and excitement for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. The return of Faith is imminent.

Erik Odeldahl, Design Director

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Ehhh, I can cope, I mean, it's not like 14 YEARS or anything, right? :-p

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:05 am

Kinda lame but okay.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:12 am

FlagshipFighter wrote: Ehhh, I can cope, I mean, it's not like 14 YEARS or anything, right? :-p

Lol true, but I really wish they'd just pick a date and stick to it. It's getting a bit obnoxious now :P

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 am

Sonoshee wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote: Ehhh, I can cope, I mean, it's not like 14 YEARS or anything, right? :-p

Lol true, but I really wish they'd just pick a date and stick to it. It's getting a bit obnoxious now :P

Yeah, i see what you mean it is annoying but I'm still happy that it's releasing in the summer time window. (Unlike what splinter cell blacklist did!)

Anyway, did anyone play the beta that came out? i managed to play around 4 and a 1/2 hours straight yesterday. I like it, i played it on the xbone and yeah while the 720p nature of it does stick out at times it all seemed okay in the end as it's upscaled really well and when still jaggies seem to be nonexistent. It's also nice that it's 60fps although it did dip at moments (likely because it's still beta) but yeah, very impressed! I prefer the parkour elements much more than the first game. It's fast, reliable and aggressive.

The open world can be a bit confusing to navigate at first so i just kept the normal runners vision on aym. But yeah i had sooo much fun, there's a ton to do (it's a very generous demo for content). Also for those who are concerned, the combat is waaaay better than it may seem on online videos. And the essential upgrades are available within the first couple of hours.

Definitely happy they decided to delay to give it some more polish, i assume this beta is dated now but if this was the launch state its performance would be disappointing at moments.

But i also kinda have a feeling the delay was also due to avoid clashing with overwatch and doom releasing sameday/near.

Overall I'm very excited, and i anticipate the xbone update that launches around e3 that will allow background custom music, i loved playing the original this way on the 360 with time trials :-)

FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to General Gaming