Roguelike games

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Roguelike games

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:35 am

So yeah, I've been trying on and off from these kind of games.

I've seen dwarf fortress, unrealworld, nethack. It's incredible the depth on these things, but I can't get into these.

Feels like a try N error thing. Or reading a manual for pretty much dying "enjoying things much".

Shenmue was a game about detail, and "reality" is something Yu kinda cared about, so it seems something kinda this alley (even some of those games have generative storytelling).

So:

Why I can't get into these ? (I'm a n00b, I know that).

What do you think of the genre ? (hardore/less hardcore stuff).

What do you play ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Re: Roguelike games

Postby Chaos » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:29 am

The only roguelike I actually like is FTL, and that's kind of a loose definition of roguelike. (I think it's actually called a roguelike-like or something stupid like that lmao)

If you haven't tried it yet, it's a fantastic game that I've put about 200 hours into. It takes a while to really get into, but once you get the hang of it, it's a blast.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:49 am

I've tried it, but it's not as "in depth" as the ones I want to play.

More like a simulation than a roguelike (well, that's it's not really a genre at all).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby csmakio » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:55 pm

All Rouge-likes are about trial and error until you get things figured out, that's part of their allure I guess. I'm a pretty big fan of some rouge-likes. Have only actually beaten a handful though.

-FTL - really great game, play it a lot on my iPad which works perfectly.
-RISK OF RAIN...I have sunk so many hours into this one. Insane amount of unlocks and secrets.
-Dungeons of Dredmore
-Darkest Dungeon
-Binding of Isaac
-Don't Starve
-Spelunky
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm into these games. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is the best one I've played. It's not really one that fits the technical term of roguelike perfectly, but its one of the best games I've played on PS2. Baroque on PS2/Wii (originally on the Sega Saturn and PSX, but that version was never released outside Japan) is another one that I like, mainly because of its aesthetics. Funny thing is, I've still not beaten either of these two but always return to them every so often just for the fun of playing a challenging game, I guess. They just have a really engrossing quality to them both as well, that keeps me going back. Breath of Fire V just has an amazing and really tight battle system too, Baroque's is just clunky as hell. Breath of Fire V has the distinct advantage of letting players carry over some of their items/equipment after they die and store money in a bank until your next playthrough.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 am

The very idea and structure of roguelikes used to be an instant turn-off for me until I bit the bullet and decided to actually try one - can't remember which exactly, but I think it was Spelunky on XBLA - now it's one of my favourite genres. The everything-is-completely-randomised aspect means you will never have the same run twice, so it's like a new game every time you play. It's like a lottery that involves skill and using everything you can to your advantage :)

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Spelunky and Risk of Rain are my favourites, and I highly recommend trying them out if you haven't already!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:44 am

shredingskin wrote:
Why I can't get into these ? (I'm a n00b, I know that).

It might be simply not your type of game. I for example can't get myself into playing MMOs or military shooters. Roguelike games are simplistic in nature as the fortresses, underworlds and caves you see in those games are all tiled dungeons with a facelift. By the looks of what you described RPGs, "sandbox" and adventure games appear to be more your alley as I presume you seek complex interaction from the game world and focus in plot.

shredingskin wrote: What do you think of the genre ? (hardore/less hardcore stuff).

I find them usually boring, but I have extreme love for the Souls series (From Software).

shredingskin wrote: What do you play ?

Demon's Souls is my favorite in this genre.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to General Gaming