Resident Evil 2 REMAKE ANNOUNCED! OMG!

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Resident Evil 2 REMAKE ANNOUNCED! OMG!

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Oh em gee, guys. Oh em gee!

Classic survival horror Resident Evil 2 is officially being remade, Capcom has announced.

While details on the project won't be revealed for some time, VideoGamer.com understands that the title will be a complete remake of the original game built for modern platforms.

The remake is being produced by Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, the producer behind this year's Resident Evil HD Remake.

"We're pleased to confirm that Resident Evil 2 has been approved for development," a Capcom representative said in a statement provided to VideoGamer.com today.

"As the title is only just starting its development cycle we unfortunately don't have any additional information or assets to share at this time. However, for now we want our fans to know that we appreciate all the feedback and support we've received on this title. We're looking forward to delivering this highly anticipated Resident Evil experience that fans have been waiting for."

Formats for the game have yet to be announced, but fans should probably expect it to hit PS4, Xbox One and PC. A release date has not been confirmed.

"It's been great to see so many positive comments from fans that have pushed the project to get approved," added Hirabayashi. "The team here at Capcom Japan really appreciates fans' passion and support and will do our best to bring fans what they really want."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/resident_ ... firms.html

They better not fuck this up! If i thought to myself a year ago all of these fucking crazy game announcements were to happen (Yakuza 5 localization, Fatal Frame 5/Project Zero 5 localization, FFXII HD, Shenmue 3, Nier 2 and now this...god must surely exist) I wouldn't believe it. Fuuuuuuuck! Best Resident Evil getting remade. RE2 is one of the finest game sequels ever made, so they better do a good job!

EDIT: Video announcement

phpBB [video]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Resident Evil 2 REMAKE ANNOUNCED! OMG!

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:If i thought to myself a year ago all of these fucking crazy game announcements were to happen (Yakuza 5 localization, Fatal Frame 5/Project Zero 5 localization, FFXII HD, Shenmue 3, Nier 2 and now this...god must surely exist) I wouldn't believe it.

I know, right? It's not only games. Dr. Dre released an album last Friday. Sony's first 'Dark Tower' movie got a release date a couple of days ago. Are loose ends being tied up because the world is coming to an end? :shock:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:36 pm

Hold me tight.

Yama has received a thanks from: Chaos
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Bambi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Oh em gee, guys. Oh em gee!

Bambi has received a thanks from: OL
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:50 pm

Memories of RE2: I remember playing the game years ago when I was around 9 at a friend's and being absolutely terrified. I had nightmares of Mr. X and zombie dogs chasing after me for weeks after that. I didn't play it for real until after my first Resident Evil game that I got, which was Resident Evil 4. After I beat RE4, I looked to the old games, beat RE1 on PSX and got RE2 straight after I beat RE1. I immediately recognised Mr. X and those childhood scars that were still there. i enjoyed getting my revenge. I was honestly blown away to learn how many scenarios the game had. RE3 I loved too, but RE2 is just a far larger game with tighter design and introduced us to Raccoon City in all of its glory first. RE3 sort of felt like another scenario released as a separate game. Not that I was complaining, I'd certainly take more of Raccoon City than any of the boring locations RE6 threw at us.

I just thought that RE2 really is one of the most replayable survival horror games out there, mainly thanks in large part to the 4 different scenarios and just how frigging good the design of the game is, from top to bottom. I can still play the game now and it just feels tight. The game is Top 10 of all time material, personally, so I have high expectations for this. They better not fuck this up! No pressure, Capcom, heh.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby rome » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 pm

I remember getting RE2 for Christmas one year and my mom not really knowing what she had bought, thought it was a bit gruesome for a kid.

Haha the game had me scared shitless. Awesome news.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:59 pm

:???: (seen this before)
yeah, i'll wait my turn for a TANGIBLE item to be got, thanks! 8)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Chaos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:36 am

amiga1200 wrote: :???: (seen this before)
yeah, i'll wait my turn for a TANGIBLE item to be got, thanks! 8)

what :-s

anyway, here's hoping it's as good as REmake was and capcom doesn't fuck it up.

Chaos has received a thanks from: OL
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Shibiryo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 am

Personally, RE3 was more of a shitstunner with that Nemesis running after you, he was fast like Sonic, no shit. The windows which cracked also got me a lot of the time. I'd say that RE Code Veronica was the best and yes it was remastered titled Code Veronica X. I don't even have it lol. Never touched upon 2 but the Gamecube or N64, don't remember which version had some neat controls allowing you to outrun every zombie in your way.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Amir » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:44 am

Wonder if they'll hire any of those guys who were working on that fan remake they were discussing on their official Facebook page (they were discussing what they should do about it, since usually these things get shut down).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby OL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:23 am

All I want out of this is the exact same structure and story as the original game, but with RE4/5 controls. Been saying for years how goddamn perfect that would be. My biggest fear is that they're going to restructure the whole thing.
And sure, in the case of some remakes, I have no problem with that (such as in the case of the upcoming FFVII). But the RE series already has a great remake in its history (REmake), which puts certain expectations on this. Sure, add a couple of new deviations which add a bit to the story, a few new rooms in the lab or the police station, whatever. But overall, just keep it the same. The game was perfectly-structured as-is.

Actually thinking about it now, my ideal setup for an RE2 remake would be this:
Maintain the exact same game in single player, just with updated graphics and controls. A-scenarios and B-scenarios for both characters. Mr. X in the B-scenarios. All that stuff maintained, as it was, as it should be.
But also implement a new C-scenario, where at the beginning Claire and Leon don't get split up, making the campaign coop-enabled (which is kind of a "thing" for RE now).
A setup like that would change the game around in an interesting way, but maintain exactly what fans of the original loved so much. No going wrong there, if they'd just wise up to the possibilities.
We also require secret unlockable Hunk and Tofu scenarios. Because obviously.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Chaos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 am

They would have to completely change the enemies to fit with re4 controls. The game would be way too easy.

The controls are just fine for the original games imo
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shibiryo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:33 am

I know to many it’s a no-brainer to go with the Resident Evil HD style remaster (which, incidentally I do love, even though I can’t for the life of me get past those ruddy dogs when you blow the whistle!) and in many ways I do agree but then, after downloading Resident Evil 4 on my PlayStation 3 a few weeks back and realising how good it still is, it makes it quite a tough call.

You think if Capcom could get it right and produce a Resi 4 style remake, it could be amazing to get a new perspective on a classic game. But then there’s Resident Evil 6! It would be a travesty if any remake ended up being that disjointed. However, they decide to go about it I will be anticipating a Resi 2 remake whilst positively drooling over the prospect! Who knows, I may even have killed those dogs in the first remake by then!

Hirabayashi added that there won't be any news regarding Resident Evil 2's remake for a while, but in the meantime, we can look forward to Capcom's remake of 2002's Resident Evil 0, which is set for release next year.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Chaos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:42 am

That's not to say I wouldn't like a good game with re4 controls that was still an actual survival horror. I just don't want it in an re2 remake.

I enjoyed that one re5 dlc that was set in the mansion
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:50 am

Chaos wrote: They would have to completely change the enemies to fit with re4 controls. The game would be way too easy.

Well yeah, obviously, if they kept all the enemies in the same places with the same animations and same attacks. Certain changes kind of go without saying. It's not hard to increase difficulty in those respects though.
When I talk about keeping the game the same, I mostly just mean the environments and story. The rest of the game is obviously ripe for updating and change.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming