Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS)

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Game looks stunning. Never played a Dragon Quest before, but this certainly tempts me. PS4 version looks a legit anime game, 3DS version is taking full advantage of the dual screen in a really cool way! Both versions look great to me.

PS4 version:

3DS version:

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS)

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Oh wow. I really like the way they made these 2 different versions different instead of just making the 3DS version a stripped down/awkward port of the PS4. I like the old school of the 3DS version, well mainly just the option of having that makes it really unique and lets the fans choose how they wanna play, cool stuff. I personally would want the PS4 version even though I am really liking what im seeing from the 3DS version, the PS4 looks VERY gorgeous, I need this in my life!!!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Cool. Looks pretty.
It's not enough to make me legitimately excited for it (never been into DQ before, and I don't want to be one of those shallow chuds that gets won over by a game just because of the piddy colors, like the grand majority that got excited for Ni No Kuni), but the dual-style dynamic on 3DS is probably most impressive to me. Be interesting to see how the 3D and 2D worlds line up.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Reminds me of VIII which was one of my favorites. Games looks like classic RPG gold.

Yama has received a thanks from: amiga1200
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:17 pm

Wish we could get a HD Remaster of DQVIII
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 am

As much as I love RPG's especially Final Fantasy I've never really looked into Dragon Quest. I've always seen people say it's still very old school and since pre FFIV has never done much for me I've always assumed they wouldn't be my thing.

What is the series like? Is it still pretty much a basic RPG and hasn't evolved much or is it worth giving a try?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:39 am

can't say i've played any...yet. :P
seen a little, but not enough to formulate an opinion on...
other than it's on my list of backlog.
what yama said was my impression, and one reason i'll try it.
should be a good game by expectations...:mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Riku Rose wrote: As much as I love RPG's especially Final Fantasy I've never really looked into Dragon Quest. I've always seen people say it's still very old school and since pre FFIV has never done much for me I've always assumed they wouldn't be my thing.

What is the series like? Is it still pretty much a basic RPG and hasn't evolved much or is it worth giving a try?

Im not the DQ expert, as I have only played a good majority of DQ VIII. But I recently started up DQ V for DS (on my 3DS XL just because) as I have heard the 5th game is one of the better and more emotional stories, the game I am playing more or less looks like the bottom screen of the 3DS version of DQXI screen shots previously posted and it doesnt bother me one bit. There is alot to like to like about this series, obviously it has deep lore and a very specific foundation of what everything is supposed to be, most of the games take place in medieval fantasy setting (for example there is a HUGE spanish influence in DQV) and they are all pretty much traditional JRPGs. I feel elements of Zelda in this series, elements of Final Fantasy, they have a simple but interesting battle system, with weapons that have many effects and plenty of spells to work through enemy battles damaging/buff/debuffs. These games have a certain charm to them and thats whats kept me chugging along through DQV so far, im sneaking out of the house to go do a dungeon in the middle of the night, its a haunted house and I have to get to the top level and in order to scare away the ghosts and light the room I need a special torch found some where in the dungeon. A bit later im meeting spirits from another dimension that helps me open a portal to their world so I can go help save the day there, and I can just cross back and forth from world to world at will. Still not sure exactly where everything is going and im only really explaining about 1 of the games, and one of the old school games at that, but there is clearly something brewing with this series and I have a bit of better understanding of why these games are so special. DQ is just a simple but entertaining JRPG experience with some emphasis on old school aspects (like only being able to save in churches, I can only buy 1 item at a time at the shops in DQV, the inventory is a bit of a mess to navigate through in DQV) yet some how i dont really mind that, its minor complaints imo, hope some of that helped.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming