Video Game Quotes you like.

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Video Game Quotes you like.

Postby sand4fish » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:27 pm

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 pm

shengoro86 wrote: All your base are belong to us
-Zero Wing

How could you put that one, but not "somebody set up us the bomb!", from the same game!? Equally as Engrish!

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Mr357
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Mr357 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:47 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
shengoro86 wrote: All your base are belong to us
-Zero Wing

How could you put that one, but not "somebody set up us the bomb!", from the same game!? Equally as Engrish!

Backwards it says, "Bomb the US, upset somebody." :-k

Less than ten years later, in 1995, the Oklahoma bombing occurred. Coincidence? Absolutely.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:35 pm

FFTactics, heck yeah, Matsuno writes some great lines.

FFTactics:

Ramza Beoulve: If only you had lived an honest life, you wouldn't have died in obscurity.

Delita Heiral: Forgive me. 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.

Delita Heiral: Make your peace with the gods, Argath! You die by my hand!

Delita: You whoreson dog!

Wiegraf Folles: Revenge? You think that is what drives me? I have no such petty concerns. I do not fight to avenge Milleuda's death. I sow the seeds of chaos in the world of men, and reap the anguished cries of the weak. But worry not, Ramza. Yours is a special case. I shall kill -you- myself!

Wiegraf Folles: What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day.

Ramza Beolve: I pity you, Wiegraf. Even as a man of broken dreams, you might still have been remembered fondly. Your ideas lifted the people, showed them the cracks in the age-old facade of the aristocracy. You acted on your convictions, and so ennobled those actions! But what would the people think now? What would Milleuda and your fallen friends think of this barter you've struck? Dreams built on borrowed stone are defiled before they are made!

Wiegraf Folles: What have you done that did not rely on the labours of others? From birth you have wanted for nothing! You can not know what it is to live the meager life we do. Reason may trick you to believe you do, but your heart can never know! Harsh is the world in which we live. Harsher still than you can imagine. You have neither right nor reason to pour scorn on me!

Gaffgarion: Kill them all! Leave no man standing!

Agrias: You would have us slaughter them? Are you mad? Kill them here and you'll have played into Duke Goltanna's hands! We need only put them to rout!

Gaffgarion: I find dead men rout more easily.

Milleuda: How can you nobles live as you do and yet hold your heads so high? We
are not chattel! We are humans, no less than you! What flaw do you hold there
to be in us? That we were born between a different set of walls? Do you know
what it means to hunger? To sup for months on naught but broth of bean? Why
must we be made to starve that you might grow fat? You call us thieves, but it
is you who steal from us the right to live!

Argath: You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've
been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in
whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the
world drenched in common blood!

Milleuda: By whose decree!? Who decides such foul and absurd things?

Argath: 'Tis heaven's will!

Milleuda: Heaven's will? You would pin your bigotry on the gods? No god would
fain forgive such sin, much less embrace it! All men are equal in the eyes of
the gods!

Argath: Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for chattel.

Milleuda: You speak of devils, not gods!

Tactics Ogre:

Nybeth: I approve! You forsake the chaotic nature of youth for the twin lights of reason and order! Yet I must decline. You may mean well, but there is no shortage of others who would see me hang. Even as I ask why we must fight, I accept the inevitability of the coming battle. Freedom's wage must be paid in full. Now, an experiment! Let us mix youth with danger and observe the reaction.

Vagrant Story:

Rosencrantz: Name me your successor.

Sydney: I name you..."worm" as you crawl through the dust.

Müllenkamp Cultist: You fools think the Dark will bend to you?

Commander Grissom: We are prelates of the Lord, scum. We are not here to bend aught, we are come to cleanse.

Callo Merlose: Wait where are you going?

Ashley Riot: The blades have provided the perfect distraction.

Callo Merlose: It's too dangerous! We must wait for reinforcements!

Ashley Riot: Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.

Father Duane: An incomplete death is more than a VKP butcher deserves.

Romeo Guildenstern: The Dark is formless and invisible. It invades the body like a plague, an unseen visitor. Yet those it taints become... undying.

Commander Samantha: "Undying?"

Romeo Guildenstern: Yes. They do not die.

Commander Samantha: But... he did die. Turned to dust. Leaving no trace. Did he not?

Romeo Guildenstern: What is death? Is it the ruination of the flesh? Surely, that is death, but it is only one facet of the truth. True death... is the death of the soul.

Commander Samantha: And theirs is not a true death?

Romeo Guildenstern: Even should their flesh crumble to decay, their souls will wander eternally. The undying of Leá Monde do die. But, it is... an incomplete death.

Ashley Riot: [listening from afar] "An incomplete death"...

Romeo Guildenstern: Trapped in purgation, they yearn for life. Thus, they seek bodies without souls. And the "corpses that walk" are born. They say the howl of the north wind is the cry of the wandering souls.

Final Fantasy XII:

Judge Bergan: Hark, Ivalice hails her new Dynast-King, Vayne Solidor! He shall defy the will of the gods, and see the reigns of history in the hands of man. His time is nigh! The new Ivalice holds no place for the name Dalmasca. The stain of Raithwall's blood shall be washed clean from history's weave.

Gabranth: Your Excellency, Lord Larsa was placed under my charge.

Vayne: Oh? Perhaps you mistook your orders, then. I can see no other explanation for why you were reporting and conjecturing on my doings to my late father.

Gabranth: Your Excellency-

Vayne: A hound begging for scraps at the Emperor's table. Would you serve a new master, hound? You may fulfil your duty as Judge Magister before us all. She has been tried and found guilty.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:09 pm

^^Just to be fair, the Vagrant Story ones ended up with the flair that they have mainly because of the translator, Alexander O. Smith, rather than the game's original writers. The original Japanese dialogue was apparently a little more... "plainclothes," so to speak. Supposedly it was more like normal everyday Japanese speech, while Smith chose to add that "archaic" vibe to it when he localized it all. I'm not usually a big fan of changes being made to dialogue, but in this case I see it as nothing but an improvement. Some great stuff in there.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:20 am

^Aye, A. O'Smith has worked on every game that Matsuno has written (aside from FFTactics, which was Joseph Slattery who worked on FFXII, Tactics Ogre PSP and Crimson Shroud alongside O'Smith) and done the same there too. It's very much a collaborative thing, Matsuno's game have some of the best localization work in the industry. Dialogue is incredible. There is a distinctive flavour to Matsuno's writing that you just do not get from other JRPGs out there.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:04 am

OL wrote: Image

"I hope your death is a lesson to others."

Bambi has received a thanks from: OL
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Thief » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:11 pm

A lot of the quotes I really like tend not to really have much to do with the words themselves, but instead, with how they're said. Like this particular quote from MGS1 from Naomi. I've long since been in love with her voice/delivery from that game, but it's this line in particular that I really like for some reason. "Ever since he fought with you on Zanzibar he's been like a ghost... a ghost looking for a place to die".

phpBB [video]

Just click on the video and it'll take you straight to 3h45m7s where the quote is.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:42 am

^^You're totally right about it mostly being in the delivery. It absolutely killed me that she dropped the accent for the Twin Snakes version, and then continued that way for MGS4. The way Naomi was played in the original was just perfect.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:00 am

Moving into Metal Gear Solid 2 (where 100% of my favourite quotes are from Colonel AI and Solidus):

Colonel AI: Raiden, turn the game console off right now
Raiden: What did you say?
Colonel AI: The mission is a failure! Cut the power right now!
Raiden: What's wrong with you?
Colonel AI: Don't worry, it's just a game! It's a game just like usual.
Rose AI: You'll ruin your eyes playing so close to the TV.
Raiden: What are you talking about?
Colonel AI: Raiden, something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go. I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east. It was moving very irregularly...Suddenly there was an intense light all around me...and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?
Raiden: Huh?
Colonel AI: Fine, forget it.

Colonel AI: Honestly, though, you have played the game for a long time. Don't you have anything else to do with your time?

Colonel AI: Even my patience has its limits. I just can't leave it to you any longer. I'll do the fighting! You can just go home!

Colonel AI: I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

Solidus Snake: Jack, listen to me. We're all born with an expiration date. No one lasts forever. Life is nothing but a grace period - for turning our genetic material into the next generation. The data of life is transferred from parent to child. That's how it works. But we have no heirs, no legacy. Cloned from our father, with the ability to reproduce conveniently engineered out. What is our legacy if we cannot pass the torch? Proof of our existence - a mark of some sort. When the torch is passed on from parent to child... it extends beyond DNA; information is imparted as well. All I want is to be remembered. By other people, by history.

Solidus Snake: Jack, it's not power I want. What I want to take back from the Patriots are things like... freedom, civil rights, opportunities. The founding principles of this country. Everything that's about to be wiped out by their digital censorship.

phpBB [video]

Then there's this:

Honestly, this game's themes have never been more prevalent than they are now. Like pretty much everything both Solidus and Colonel AI are both true and are both right in their own way (I remember how I used to think that The Patriots were so cynical and by extension how cynical Kojima must have been, but honestly, a lot of what they say is true, unfortunately) - people hiding into their own cesspools and never leaving it, leaking whatever "truth" suits them, people thinking they are free when they are not, technology controlling humanity, how easy people have it nowadays due to technology, the internet being "governed" (American government are still trying to pass laws to control the entire internet like it belongs to them; digital censorship that Solidus was talking about is coming.) etc the list goes on and on.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to General Gaming