Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

Postby OL » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
phpBB [video]

Ohhh yes.

Sexy.
I don't think I've ever felt so excited for anything that's so clearly a direct clone of another series. Might be a total clone, but it looks like a goddamn great one. Yeah, the basic Onimusha/Souls vibe is still making my pants feel tighter. Can't wait.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:16 am

More gameplay. Looks brilliant. I doubt it'll be quite as deep in customization and variety as Dark Souls, but who cares? I'm looking at this, and all I'm really seeing is the Onimusha game that Capcom keeps refusing to make.
Friggin' day-1.

phpBB [video]

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 am

is this gonna be hard like dark souls/bloodborne? it looks interesting but if it that type of game then count me out.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:13 am

4 different weapon stances for every weapon (look at the lower right icon). I think that'll make it really deep. The customisation screen looks exactly the same as Souls, obviously without being to change the facial design itself but everything else.

And to think this is coming out in the same year as Dark Souls 3, Persona 5 and Mankind Divided. Wonder which of the four will be my GOTY? (Potentially SMTIV: Final and FFXV as the dark horses as well) This year, man. *licks lips*

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:34 pm

I like the sexy Samurai moves. I am very interested in this game, hopefully a nice demo comes out soon enough and some good reviews. Looks solid, but if its anything as hard as Bloodborne which I gave up on playing making no progression through the first real area (for now anyways), I could be put off by that. But just like Bloodborne I love the setting and visuals and combat that I have seen from Nioh.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:12 pm

phpBB [video]

Demo coming April 26 \:D/
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:44 pm

God, that looks beautiful. Honestly, I'm genuinely looking forward to this more than I am to Dark Souls 3. Takes a lot to bump a From Software game down like that, but sheezus, this looks phenomenal.
Loved that unarmed counterattack at :52. :mrgreen:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby fittersau » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:54 am

OL wrote: God, that looks beautiful. Honestly, I'm genuinely looking forward to this more than I am to Dark Souls 3. Takes a lot to bump a From Software game down like that, but sheezus, this looks phenomenal.
Loved that unarmed counterattack at :52. :mrgreen:

Yep, since Nioh was announced and gameplay samples were shown, this took top spot over Dark Souls 3 for my horror slasher. Glad Koei Tecmo stepped in where Capcom have left their legacy of Onimusha flailing. What's up with Capcom, Sega who don't feel like they should reinvest in their good IP.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:47 am

These videos keep getting taken down but Tecmo should put it up soon hopefully:

phpBB [video]

Beta demo August!

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:01 pm

:lol:
I'm only laughing because, after spending however many countless hours with the last demo, it actually felt odd to hear the protagonist speak at the end of this trailer, and to actually get some clue to the overall story. Strange that such a simple thing as hearing a character speak could actually feel like so much of a change.
It's a good kind of odd though. Loved the demo, and I was definitely intrigued about getting more of the story.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Got it in the mail yesterday and immediately headed into it. I haven't even finished Gravity Rush 2 and I've barely touched Yakuza, but I had to hit this up right away.
Absolutely, ridiculously phenomenal so far. All that demo testing and fishing for feedback really seems to have paid off. I noticed some slight differences in the village area (the first legitimate level) in regard to enemy placement and whatnot, but the challenge is still very much present. You can totally feel a sense of balance to everything now; it's challenging, but it doesn't feel as cut-off-your-balls-for-fun difficult as the first demo initially seemed. They've really polished this thing up, and it's absolutely excellent so far.

Oh, a tip for anyone who plays it: don't spend too long on the prologue level. The items you pick up in it will be sent to the in-game storehouse for use (or sale) later on, but respawning enemies and hacking away at them isn't going to help much of anything; whatever exp/amrita you pick up in that area doesn't carry over, so grinding is completely pointless.
Just play the first area for the story and practice, then move on.
On that note, the first area is still pretty awesome. Very cool that the game starts where it does. I wasn't expecting it at all.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Having played around 3 hours of this today (and managed to fit in two hours of Yakuza 0)... This game is phenomenal. :-o
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:59 pm

So I'm loving the hell out of the game, obviously (and taking my time with it much more than I even thought I would; lots of item management and side-question and whatnot), but I have to call out one particular place where they just hit the ball out of the park: item refashioning.
Obviously you don't get to create your own character in this, but you do have a surprising amount of options for customizing apparel. And the great thing is, if you don't like the way a certain weapon or piece of armor looks, you can just go to the blacksmith and have her make it look like something else. Unlike the Souls series, you don't have to sacrifice looks for stats; you can just take the equipment with better stats and make it look however you like. No more looking lame by the end of the game because the best stuff is kind of goofy; you get to look awesome through the whole thing.

I've personally started ditching torso armor in order to keep my agility high, while the rest of my stuff is usually refashioned to look like the "Hero's" armor set (different gloves in the pic, but you get the idea). I think it looks rad as hell.

Before that was unlocked, I'd mostly been using the "Unusual" armor set, which is also pretty cool-looking.
Anyone else playing the game at the moment, or is everyone still working on Yakuza 0? :lol:

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 am

I was juggling between Nioh and For Honor. After a few days, I gave up on For Honor because I just couldn't put down my controller while playing Nioh. Team Ninja has never been this good since Ninja Gaiden. I'm really impressed.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 am

That sounds real nice OL.. item refashioning. I always did hate looking stupid just cause the stats were better.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming