Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:10 am

OL wrote: Jeez, give it a rest already. Seriously. You don't have to be so insistent about your negativity all the time. You've already said this stuff about fifteen times in the past two days, despite the fact that, with a scant few exceptions, the industry is really, really obviously getting better. You sound like an angry thirteen-year-old circa 2010.
"Grr, everything sucks and everyone is stupid but me, grr!"

WTF did you read, because I wasn't being negative at all.

Since when is the POS publishers who know nothing, losing power to dictate how the development process of a game works, is a bad thing.

Are you insane, this is the greatest event to happen in the industry, since the NES saved the industry, It's that big of a deal.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Zoltor wrote:First Ubisoft should actually learn how to develop good games, instead of making just ok games, and then somehow managing to make them worse lol, before trying to claim such things. The modern Japanese setting is overused yes, but a historical Japanese setting is definitely not overused.

What, don't you like barely funcioning, inconsistent games filled with useless content and shitty generic stories? Come on.

Also funny how they call feudal japan is overused, but are making a AC in London, 'cause that was done much less often than samurais.

Henry Spencer wrote:Image

I didn't even notice this before, but goddamn, i hope the cover of this game looks like that.

Now that this is the year everyone comes back, can't wait for the Agent reveal coming soon. :P
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Shin Pan Tzee wrote:
Zoltor wrote:First Ubisoft should actually learn how to develop good games, instead of making just ok games, and then somehow managing to make them worse lol, before trying to claim such things. The modern Japanese setting is overused yes, but a historical Japanese setting is definitely not overused.

What, don't you like barely funcioning, inconsistent games filled with useless content and shitty generic stories? Come on.

Also funny how they call feudal japan is overused, but are making a AC in London, 'cause that was done much less often than samurais.

Henry Spencer wrote:Image

I didn't even notice this before, but goddamn, i hope the cover of this game looks like that.

Now that this is the year everyone comes back, can't wait for the Agent reveal coming soon. :P

Lol

Yea, the entire industry, along with fanbases of all forms of entertainment, all agree that mideivil Europe, and any era revolving around England, especially London of all places, is overused(for good reason, It's a great setting, but still).

Really why can't they make a assassin game in China or in ancient Saudi Arabia(in a Arabian Nights fassion), but no, they pick Europe/London.

To Ubisoft, you're not allowed to complain a setting has been overused, when you use the most overused settings of them all.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Ubisoft showed a game at TGS, which I thought was an Assassins Creed set in feudal Japan, but it also has Knights and ninjas or something. Also looked very good.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:08 pm

This peaked my interest since it's based off a unfinished script by Akira Kurosawa titled Oni. I'm a huge fan of AK and Tokyo Story is one of my favorite movies. I'll keep a eye out.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Koei Tecmo shared new details and the first screenshots of Nioh, newly re-revealed “dark Sengoku action RPG” for PlayStation 4, during a stage event at the Tokyo Game Show today.

Nioh protagonist William can fight using multiple weapons, including swords and spears. Spears have a wider range and can strike a larger number of oponents, but is difficult to use in confined spaces. Each weapon has its own characteristics such as this. Additionally, switching between a higher offensive stance and lower defensive stance will be an important element.

There will be an online element called “Chinokata Dzuka” (Bloody Sword Mound). When you’re connected online and playing the game, you’ll see the “bloody sword mounds” of players who have died sticking out of the ground. When you touch it, that player’s “Jigurui” (Corpse Deviation) will appear and a battle will ensue. You can see their name, level, and cause of death before deciding whether to summon them. Corpse Deviation battles are dangerous, but defeating the summon might earn you useful items.

William also has at his disposal a variety of “Guardian Spirits,” which can be used at certain times to unleash a powerful attack. Some also offer healing abilities. If you die, your Guardian Spirit will stay in the location you were killed, and if you don’t recover it, you won’t be able to use it again. You’ll be able to switch out your Guardian Spirit at shrines you encounter along the way.

Tecmo-Koei rep also teased a worldwide release for next year.

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/nioh-details ... mcgCCSq.99

So there's summons, "this person died here" markers (with a twist; each time you click on the dead body of another player, their corpse will rise and you will have to fight them) different weapon stances, different weapon types with their own moveset, huge and tough as nails boss battles, heck there's even freaking bonfires (in the form of shrines). The From Software influence is real.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Shin Pan Tzee
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:35 pm

To Henry Spencer: Hmm, It is beyond weird that the main character in a game based around, "Samurai" would be named bloody William of all things, I give you that.

I wouldn't go jumping the Gun by using the term summons, I doubt the Guardian Spirits will be like summons in the general sense of what people think, when people say summons, but they'll be beneficial in the same way.

With the Spear weapons/other specially long weapons, I hope you have multiple radius attacks as well as different stances with the same weapon, because while It's not as powerful a weapon in narrow areas, such weapons can indeed be effectively used in tight spaces(I should know. I trained myself to use a 6 ft Bo(the Chinese call such a staff), in my 1 bedroom apartment, and It's small as hell), it takes a different mindset, as well as emphasizes different techniques you wouldn't think of using normally, but such can ve very effective.

I love the idea of being able to raise NPC versions of other players on the online mode(although I really see these types of games being much better as a offline type of game. It's going to depend how "useful" these so called useful items are, and if the stuffed gathered online, will remain with your character, if you then choose to play offline.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Zoltor wrote:I wouldn't go jumping the Gun.

Seems to be all you do.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Zoltor wrote:I wouldn't go jumping the Gun.

Seems to be all you do.

I'm not the one assuming that Sega is going to rerelease the Shenmue games, nor am I one of the people who are assuming a game being released by KOE, a company that virtually locked themselves in Japan, after the early days of the industry), is going to be released outside of Japan, just because they released a few games this gen outside of Japan.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:53 pm

Zoltor wrote: To Henry Spencer: Hmm, It is beyond weird that the main character in a game based around, "Samurai" would be named bloody William of all things, I give you that.

Not my ideal main character, would have preferred an historical Japanese character, but it's not like it hasn't been done before and I quite liked this movie.

Last edited by fittersau on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:56 pm

fittersau wrote:
Zoltor wrote: To Henry Spencer: Hmm, It is beyond weird that the main character in a game based around, "Samurai" would be named bloody William of all things, I give you that.

Not my ideal main character, would have preferred an historical Japanese character, but it's not like it hasn't been done before and I quite liked this movie.

Yea I agree, and true.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:27 am

Zoltor wrote:
fittersau wrote:

Yea I agree, and true.

Oh and William is for William Adams... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A ... 8sailor%29
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nankeiro » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Looks like it's going to be a good title! I'll check it out!
Nankeiro

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Diggin that trailer. Its about time we got a high quality samurai/feudal japan setting in a game that looks as fine tuned and well done as this, the addition of the japanese spirits and demons and monsters is just icing on the cake. Glad to see some other developers from japan show high quality competence in making a game like this one, art direction and creature/character models look great, there is alot to like here.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:50 pm

phpBB [video]

Ohhh yes.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666