Lionhead Studios (Developer of Fable series) Closing Down

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Lionhead Studios (Developer of Fable series) Closing Down

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:16 am

Today, I have some difficult changes to announce that affect some of our Microsoft Studios teams and projects in the UK and Denmark.

After much consideration we have decided to cease development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees about the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK. Additionally, we will close Press Play Studios in Denmark, and sunset development on Project Knoxville.

These have been tough decisions and we have not made them lightly, nor are they a reflection on these development teams – we are incredibly fortunate to have the talent, creativity and commitment of the people at these studios. The Lionhead Studios team has delighted millions of fans with the Fable series over the past decade. Press Play imbued the industry with a unique creative spirit behind games like Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Kalimba, which both captured passionate fans. These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play.

I speak for all of Xbox when I say that despite this news, we remain committed to the development communities in the UK and Europe, and Xbox will continue to support new IP and originality in the games we offer on our platforms, whether they’re AAA blockbusters like Quantum Break from Remedy, adventurous new IPs like Sea of Thieves from Rare, or unique new creations from independent developers like Moon Studios with Ori.

We have nothing but heart-felt thanks for the members of Lionhead and Press Play for their contributions to Xbox and gaming. We are committed to working closely with those affected by today’s news to find them new opportunities at Xbox, or partnering with the broader development community to help place them in jobs elsewhere in the games industry should they desire.

Fable Legends also cancelled. Mittens isn't going to be happy.

Also Press Play (Denmark developer - Max: The Curse of Brotherhood) closing down too.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/07/microso ... k-denmark/
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Lionhead Studios (Developer of Fable series) Closing Dow

Postby Mr357 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Just saw this. Pretty disappointing even for someone like me who had no interest in the Fable series. I really hope this doesn't mean Microsoft is planning on leaving the video game world.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Fable II is one of my favorite games of the last however many years, though I've yet to get around to playing III due to general comments I've read about it.

But it's sad to see a studio with such a heritage cast aside in favor of more Halo, etc, and it's another recognized British name consigned to the history books of an industry that has always benefited from the unique perspective of a country that brought the world Tomb Raider, GoldenEye, and Grand Theft Auto.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:05 pm

This is one I was really not expecting at all.

Looking at their Wikipedia page the studio seems to have been stuck in limbo ever since Fable III. They released a Kinect game and Xbox Live game that everyone shrugged their shoulders at and no one seemed to care about Legends from the moment it was announced. A lot of people didn't like Fable III which means their last at least critical success was 8 years ago, I guess Microsoft just didn't see anything worthwhile coming out of them. Peter Molyneux was the face of that studio and once he left I was really interested to see what they did and they didn't do much of anything.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Sad day, no more Fable then? Well, it had a good run at least and this takes away nothing from the success that it had, just unfortunate we wont see any more. Not that the Fable series has been all that significant after III anyway. I still need to get around to playing II, but still no 360 in order to do so. I consider the original Fable to be one of the best RPGs ever made.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Yah, the first two Fable games were good. I enjoyed them for what they were.

But I also echo sentiments that there wasn't a whole lot going for them after III.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:46 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Sad day, no more Fable then? Well, it had a good run at least and this takes away nothing from the success that it had, just unfortunate we wont see any more. Not that the Fable series has been all that significant after III anyway. I still need to get around to playing II, but still no 360 in order to do so. I consider the original Fable to be one of the best RPGs ever made.

Microsoft still own the IP so it won't be long until we get a Fable 4.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Return to General Gaming