Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:29 am

From that looks like it will be more powerful, probably on par / slightly better than a xbone/ps4, not better than scorpio, but that's just a guess.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:35 am

Holy shit. From Soft is listed... Switchborne :D

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:46 am

I'm sceptical about list of official partners. After all, Nintendo once boasted something similar at the WiiU's launch; like that 'unprecedented' partnership with EA. In front of the media Nintendo talked a big game but in the end they only had late ports of Batman: Arkham Asylum, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mass Effect 3 for their troubles. I expect the same lacklustre results from Nintendo now; that port of Skyrim HD (a game originally from 2011) doesn't inspire confidence.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:54 am

I do agree about the EA thing, but the console flopped right out of the gate so of course EA wouldn't stick around. Most of the people listed in that photo already support them on 3DS, its a given they would continue to do so.

But a portable Skyrim Remastered should definitely inspire confidence. Have you seen the minimum specs to run it? They are a lot higher than the vanilla game. The orignal required a dual core with 512MB of ram (which is why the PS3 version had issues) while the remastered requires an i5 with 8GB. To have that in a portable is going to be insane. Nvidia already has experience in this sort of hardware with the Shield too.

http://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-special-e ... originals/
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kintor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am

My point was that Nintendo doesn't have anything to back-up their claim of respectable third-party support. They needed something amazing and ground-breaking to reflect solid third-party support, instead the best that Nintendo could come up with was an up-scaled game from five years ago. Nobody except Nintendo fans are going to buy a Switch for Skyrim, when a version of Skyrim can be found much more affordably on other consoles and PC. Although, it would be amusing if Skyrim still turns out to be a better open world RPG then that experimental new Zelda game.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:09 am

That concept is actually pretty neat. Definately a lot more clever than the WiiU. I also like that the regular controller went back to a design with a properly placed second analogue stick.

I'm in the same boat as the others when it comes to performance and battery capacity. At that size it can't really do more than a gloryfied smarthphone and if you think how little battery time the WiiU controller had, wich had to do much less and had much more room for a nice battery....
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 am

shredingskin wrote: Image

From that looks like it will be more powerful, probably on par / slightly better than a xbone/ps4, not better than scorpio, but that's just a guess.

Not that it really matters, but i honestly don't think the Switch is going to be on par or even more powerful than a Xbox One or PS4.
Not from what we saw at this point and since the concept is home/portable console, it would be an amazing technical achievement.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:05 pm

How much do you think its going to cost? For a base model system with dock/controller I'm thinking 300 rupees.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Looks good, now i needs specs, backwards compatability and Operating System/Online service details.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:37 pm

Specs and battery life aside, the real question to me is.. will it have Shenmue 3 (or at least Yakuza 0) on the go?

PS. About 3rd party support, the list looks pretty solid and likely to grow as I'd like to believe any company would love to have their game being played in public. The marketing potential alone is worth the risk given this machine's mobile nature. Imagine how cool it'd be if strangers on the street looked at my screen and asked what game was I playing, and I told them: that's Shenmue 3!
You are welcome Yu Suzuki.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm happy with it based on the controller alone. Wii-U's tablet controller was uncomfortable beyond belief, and the pro was nearly unplayable (for me) because the face buttons were where a second analog stick should be (or rather is on every other controller with two analog sticks), so I was constantly pressing buttons I wasn't meaning to press because muscle memory (gained over how ever many years) told me that a particular face button should be in a particular place based on the positioning of my hand. The wii-u's pro design seemed to be change for the sake of change (without thought put into whether or not that change was actually good), so long rant over, freaking a useable controller this time around, nice.

All that aside, I don't care much for Nintendo first party games at all anymore. They haven't made a Metroid title I was interested in since Zero Mission came out in 2004, and the next title (if there is one) will likely be prime. Never was a fan of Mario all that much, 3D or otherwise. Only liked the first Star Fox on SNES. F-Zero is dead in the water for some reason (and that reason is that good racing games don't sell). I've grown out of Zelda (not because I think it's childish) and no longer admire its aesthetic design nor do I enjoy the gameplay.

Their games used to be interesting, back when the GameCube was their newest console (and far reaching back to the NES and Arcade), but ever since the Wii, it's been an endless rehash of safe and familiar trends. Nintendo doesn't make games anymore -- and until they do, I have little interest in whatever console they're trying to push. At least this time around the gimmick is practical.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Axm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm really skeptical of the power of the unit too. I doubt it will be on par with XBone and PS4. At best I bet it will be on par with Wii U, which isnt bad but the Wii U is PS3/360 territory. Again not bad, just not on par with current gen again. The heat generated is also a concern. I really wonder if Nvidia developed more than meets the eye so far.

Also storage capacity and capability? Thats a big deal. They need to drop these bombs on us asap. Not a month prior to launch. If the system has downsides they need to get it out asap so people don't get pissed after months of getting the wrong idea.

On a different note, I think the name is actually brilliantly simple and makes sense. Finally we have a system thats an actual word and not a bunch of random letters. Bravo on the marketing all around. That video ive watched like 4 times now.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 pm

It's interesting, but I'm guessing it will be roughly on par with a vanilla Xbone if not a little weaker. They got a shitty GPU from Nvidia so I'm not holding my breath for PS4 level performance. Had Nvidia given them a laptop grade 1060 gpu maybe we'd be talking but that was not the case. What I'm interested in learning is if the CPU/GPU downclock in portable mode down to 480p performance on the go but ramp up to higher clock frequencies and wattage consumption when docked and plugged in an outlet, potentially enabling 1080p resolution. It's Nintendo though, so I'm guessing 720p for games tops.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mrandyk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:49 pm

I have just no interest in playing video games on the go, but I've been waiting for Nintendo to drop the gimmicks surrounding core gameplay. I'll probably end up buying this in a couple years once the price comes down. Really nothing Nintendo could do to make me turn into an early adopter.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:52 am

I think I'm starting to dig more and more the design.

Who knows, maybe N even has some other cool features to unveil.

Third party support will exist if it seels enough and has a hardcore playerbase, no matter how many logos will they put on a powerpoint.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming