Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:52 pm

As a industrial designer, 110% agree with Kintor here, there is so much fundamentally wrong and unfeasable with that concept. I think it's only ever meant to be a demonstration of what the patent was communicating.

Also, currently strong rumours suggest atm that Nintendo will cease production of the WiiU by the end of the year, citing high inventory and upcoming NX release. If this is true, then it highly seems likely that the NX will be backwards compatible with the WiiU, because it doesn't make much sense to end production longterm unless you're going out of the hardware business like SEGA. Or I suppose, technically the MS did do this with the OG Xbox before the 360 came out. Butg then, they made the 360 BC with the most "high-selling" titles from the OG Xbox.

Getting interesting!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 pm

^So PS4 is backwards compatible with PS3? (and PS3 wasn't with PS2 unless you got very specific models) and Xbox One was not with 360 games at first either. Nintendo have always been great with backwards compatibility, better than the competition in fact, but to suggest they are leaving the games industry if NX isn't BC is a rather big leap of logic.

More images have appeared of the ugly controllers by the way:

- Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.
- The rollers on the top feel and look pretty much identical to a mouse scroll-wheel. Though I do don't believe this will be the final design.
- Haptic feedback is feels like Apples 'taptic' engine. Not like regular rumble.
- 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/com ... _pictures/

I bet it ends up being fake.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:28 pm

@HenrySpencer Yeah apologies it does seem farfetched with how I wrote that, let me clarify, I just thought that axing the WiiU production meant that they can focus and propell their next product like MS did with the OG Xbox. I don't think they'll exit the market they're commited to the very end. And yeah they've been great with BC but it'll been very interesting to see what they'll do next (I think they should move on from PowerPC architecture and it's ultimately the best decision to make, but it'll likely create an obstacle for running WiiU games as it has for the Xbone).

I just hope it doesn't end up looking anything like that, it looks really unergonomic and uncomfortable. Gosh, memories of PSP cramps are coming back lol...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Raithos has received 5 thanks from: Esppiral, FlagshipFighter, MiTT3NZ, Mr357, Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:41 pm

so analog sticks but no dedicated buttons? I am not a fan of touch screen buttons, but I realize how much more devs can utilize a system like this to make a custom control setup for their games, still having pressure sensitive physical buttons still seems superior to me. At the same time though I think it makes it difficult to really ever get a feel for a controller like this because games will constantly be using different control setups, that may or may not be a problem in the long wrong, I think it will be more getting used to the shape of it than the controls with this controller. Very much so on the fence about this controller, more nintendo gimmicks smoke and mirrors BUT I could still be wrong and this could still be good in time. I feel like I say this way too much anymore, but we need more info.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:08 pm

If this is the controller, and there are no physical buttons, then the console will fail.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Nintendo, please don't.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:42 pm

Well we won't have long to find out. The same guy over on Gaf who called Pokemon B&W has said it will be revealed before E3.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:59 pm

Peter wrote:Well we won't have long to find out. The same guy over on Gaf who called Pokemon B&W has said it will be revealed before E3.

If true that's awesome because they can have one conference that introduces the product and features and then E3 for the games, similiar to how the Xbone and PS4 handled their announcements.

But the question is, has the 9th generation officially started, or will the new console be considered part of the 8th gen era? Adam Koralik, where are you!?!?
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:57 pm

It's now looking less likely that this controller is the real McCoy, as the Redditer who leaked the first pictures has now revealed that the whole thing was a hoax.

Redditer Idriss2Dev was behind the original pictures, which they've now debunked in the following video

phpBB [video]

While we're not sure exactly where the newer, far more convincing, pictures originally emanated from (they were posted on Reddit), the debunking of the original leaked photo suggests that the follow-up pictures were frauds as well - whether they were from the same source or someone merely adding their own mark to the breadcrumb trail.

That being said, the original patent still holds up, so there's still a slight chance the design is real, even if the initial photos weren't. That seems like a stretch, however. Guess we'll have to see when E3 comes around in mid-June.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:10 am

If Nintendo wants a successful console they HAVE to stop making systems with gimmicks. Gimmicks mean third party companies who want to port a game from Xbox and ps4 to the NX or whatever will now have to design for that gimmick, code for that gimmick, debug for that gimmick. That takes time and time is money. It's often times just not worth it. Look at the Wii u controller. That means a third party publisher has to create a whole different part of the game specifically utilizing the touchscreen controller. They're not going to do that.

Nintendo just needs to make a good console with good games and simple controls. No motion, no touch screen unless it's not an integral part of the system. With Sony and Microsoft devoting a lot to VR I suspect Nintendo hasn't even thought of that. But that's a gimmick too. But it's one that soon PC, Xbox and ps4 will have so that's about the only gimmick Nintendo should do.

And I hate the idea of a touch screen controller. The need to feel buttons is critical to playing video games. A touchscreen is an idiotic idea in terms of using it to control the character.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:23 pm

Nintendo is the best at making games. Just wish they could make those games on PS4/360. Would love to play Bayonetta 2. I'm just not paying $300 for the privileged is all.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KidMarine » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:07 am

Sonikku wrote: Nintendo is the best at making games.

Honestly it's worth getting a Wii U for Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101, ZombiU and Tropical Freeze. Nintendo's first party stuff hasn't been all that good.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:31 am

"Massive NX leak dump on NeoGAF describes the NX "gimmick", Polaris GPUs, use of the Vulkan API, and much more":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=4778
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shredingskin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:03 am

Sadly I think the contrary, the new consoles WILL have to have a gimmick.

There's no reason to keep buying consoles when a pc does everything and more. We are now thinking about console hardware updates almost at the start of the gen.

For all the shit wii got, the only good thing about it was the gimmick (that could also be emulated in pc, but whatever).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming