Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Nintendo Switch

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:29 am

Couldn't see that we had a topic on the console itself so what the heck.

See the imagine of the supposed leaked controller for their new console and all I can think is why won't Nintendo just do something simple, it's all we ask for.

http://www.destructoid.com/are-these-le ... 9431.phtml
Last edited by Riku Rose on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:29 am

Because if they did that they might better just say screw the hardware business and just put Mario on Playstation or Xbox. Maybe with their own Kinect like peripheral or something.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Monkei
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:35 am

Looks too dumb to be true, so it's probably it.

Thief has received a thanks from: Monkei
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:45 pm

I didn't exactly say 'wow' more 'what the fuck is that?'
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:11 pm

^ Apparently a controller that's a touch-sensitive screen at the same time, something like that? I remember reading about Nintendo filing a patent for something like this. So either this is fake and based on the news about that patent, or it's the weird but very real deal.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Looks like another piece of hardware. Plastic, bland, and I dont have any real interest in gimmicks these days. I am actually with Riku on this. Stop trying to invent the wheel, just make good games and classic powerful, fast hardware. I don't give a monkeys about motion technology, or controllers with tv screens on them. It's like the whole PSVR. I'm into that because the hardware just involves a visual element, and can enhance the game from that perspective only. But then they start throwing in the PS Move into it and I just want to scream, "no!" Stop getting me to do other shit, I just want to use play a game by moving a directional function and commanding with a button function. Stop trying to impress me with "hybrids", and the "new methods of hardware technology".

I just want to sit and enjoy playing good games.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Monkei
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Monkei » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Word!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:21 pm

All the major manufacturers need to resort to letting their current consoles last for about ten years or so. Wii-U came out not even four years ago, granted that's a disaster and they want to replace it ASAP but still.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Kintor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:20 am

Difficult to say if that image is real or not. The argument against the image states that it's probably a photoshop based on this patent:

So, even if the image in the OP is fake the controller concept is real enough. That, at some point and possibly still now, Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make a bizarre controller like this as the centrepiece of their new console.

I don't even know where to begin with this thing; it's a disaster on so many levels. I think the flaw that's most glaring is the elliptical screen, this non-square shape just looks like it would lose so much field-of-view that it will make most games unplayable. Only those games designed specifically for this accursed controller would have a chance of even looking good, which is once again going to anger third-party publishers. Since this ham-fisted design means no ports and no cross-platform development, it's either a Nintendo exclusive or bust. Naturally, most third-party publishers will simply opt not to develop games at all for the NX, leaving Nintendo with another pitiful games drought, making their console even more unappealing to gamers.

If anything, this patent shows that Nintendo still has yet to appreciate that third-party support is essential if they want to survive as a console manufacturer. I mean, it’s been nearly thirty years since Nintendo tried to control the whole games industry with their monopolistic licencing practises, treating third-party NES developers like trash, as if Nintendo was the only develop that mattered. Even now, Nintendo still treats third-party developers badly, expecting publishers and independents to jump on board with their latest console, despite the fact that it doesn’t meet the needs of third-party game development.

At this point the NX will probably be Nintendo’s last console. These might even be the last few years of Nintendo as a company period, unless they suddenly break 30 years of dogma and start taking other game platformers seriously. I know that Nintendo’s investors want to see change, Nintendo games on mobile platforms and consoles like the PS4. However, Nintendo’s management is a different matter entirely, they’d run Nintendo into the ground and destroy the value of all their IPs before admitting that their console are terrible and nobody wants to buy them.

Kintor has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 am

I think Iwata was good at personal relations with Japanese third party developers since he managed to get amazing support for their handhelds like DS (best third party support for a handheld ever, imo) and 3DS and even some decent from Japanese publishers on the Wii U off the likes of Tecmo-Koei and Namco-Bandai, nobody seemed to have a single bad thing to say about the guy, it was just the fact that Wii U was just planned badly from the outset and sold so poorly that put the third party publishers and developers off it, the likes of Ubisoft and Activision even tried to support it at the beginning but as it became obvious that the sales weren't there, they moved on, it wasn't really a case of "Nintendo are awful to third parties" just a case of the third parties thinking "it's selling like shit, let's gtfo" especially for the big boys like Ubisoft and Activision.

Nintendo supported the more niche developers like Platinum Games and got both them and Namco & Tecmo-Koei to help co-develop some titles as well, as a means to aim more at the niche audiences.

Nintendo have always been on the ball when it comes to their handheld output anyway and the support, for 3DS, is still there and very much strong (even if it's not as amazing as it was the OG DS). And their Miitomo app they just released on phones is doing really well already, so I'm expecting more support towards that market in the future. So the argument of "Nintendo are clueless and piss off third parties" is a load of baloney.

Having said that, that controller looks ridiculous and hopefully is just a prototype that never went anywhere, guess we will see. I do wonder which branding they will go for next or just create a new name and what sort of games they will make for it. I bet they do a Twilight Princess and also release Zelda for Wii U on this new console, hence the really long delays.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Nintendo do fuck up on third parties overall though. They may get the odd exclusive like your Bayonetta 2 or some other game the internet will wet themselves over but the important third party games like CoD and FIFA are what you really need.

Imagine being able to get all the third party games you get on Xbox and Playstation on the same console you will get the latest Mario games, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Zelda, it would kill. Most of my friends love games like Mario Kart but never get it because they don't buy a Nintendo system, they buy a Playstation since they will play more then 5 games on it.

Honestly at this point I just want them to go third party. I love Nintendo but while playing Skyward Sword I just thought it would be so much better with a normal controller rather then swinging my arms about. I tried adding my brother as a friend on the WiiU and it was harder then Jimmy Saville in a playschool. Everything they do just seems to be different for the sake of being different, the thing is being different doesn't always mean better.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Activision did release CoD and Ubisoft released Assassin's Creed games for Wii U - they sold like crap, henceforth the reason the third party situation, though. And nah, I don't want them to go third party, if they have to sacrifice something then so be it, it's the home console but their handhelds like 3DS still sells very well for them so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon on that front.

I don't see any advantage to them going third party whatsoever. It would be another regression just like SEGA all over again, their profits would not magically go up if they went third party. And why would you want no competition for Sony and Microsoft? They keep each other on their toes otherwise with so little competition the game market would really get weak. What Nintendo need to do with their next (last?) home console would to attract people like your firends back to their systems. Nintendo dominated last gen with the Wii, they just need that spark again.
Let's wait and see what their console looks like first before making any doom and gloom predictions.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:46 pm

But at the time they brought out CoD and Assassin's Creed everyone had owned a 360 and PS3 for almost 10 years so they weren't going to move over for the same game they could play on their current consoles when it was no better. It seems like the NX will be another Dreamcast/WiiU situation where they release in the middle of a console generation which is a shame. It would be a different story if Nintendo brought out the NX around the same time as the PS5 and it was of similar power. I understand being doom and gloom may seem premature but I think they shot themselves in the foot with the WiiU which is forcing them to release a new console when most people won't want to buy a new one for about another 5 years.

As for the handhelds as much as I loved my DS I only have 5 games on the 3DS. I never take my handheld on the go and play it at home but I would rather play on my 50" TV then on that tiny screen. When I was younger sometimes it was harder to win over the TV so the DS was the best I could get but now I'd rather kick back on the sofa with the surround sound turned up high.

I also don't really think Nintendo are competition for Sony or Microsoft, they seem to be playing in their own part of the playground away from the big kids. They don't seem interested in doing anything but their own thing. I'd just prefer if I got a next gen Zelda on something as powerful as the PS4 and could play Mario Kart online with my friends. The reason I love Nintendo is because during the N64/Gamecube days I was a kid and my friends would come round to play multiplayer games. Sadly I'm older now and I don't have 3 friends come around to play Mario Kart as it's just not something you do as life can make it awkward to arrange. I bought Mario Kart 8 and played it about twice because that's how often I could get other people to come round and play. If you could play it online I could easily get a few friends online with headsets and have a great night. I don't even really play online because most of the games on PS4 aren't anything I would want to play even with my friends, but Mario Kart/Smash Bros would change that big time.

Sure you can play online on the WiiU but as I said no one buys it because outside of the Nintendo exclusives the casual gamer won't buy anything so it's not a smart investment. Your normal console owner only has one console a generation. If Nintendo came out swinging and I told my friends how awesome the next console looks they'd most likely ask if they can play stuff like CoD, Destiny and The Divison and when I say no they'll loose interest. Sony has been very smart with the PS4 by trying to please all types of game fans.

Also the Wii was a bit of a lightning in a bottle situation. Everyone brought it home after seeing the ads and didn't buy much outside of Wii Sports and some Mario games. 3/4 of the people who bought that system most likely never bought a console this generation and most likely won't the next. Even Skyward Sword which is one of Nintendo's biggest exclusives was only bought by 4% of Wii owners.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:48 pm

It doesn't help that their console looks like a fisher price toy and their reluctance on establishing an online presence for so long.

Whenever I think of a console with a good online multiplayer system, I think XBOX and PS simply because of their reputation for being robust and efficient. And games like COD thrive on that. Wii only took off because they found a niche that was previously untapped, but was soon quickly taken up by mobile and tablet apps.

Image is everything, unfortunately. That's something Microsoft and Sony managed to get right from the beginning. I notice it just looks "cooler" to have either of those systems sitting around your living room than a Wii-U. Plus the standard controllers are better and Sony was in the right for reverting back to the classic Dual Shock design back in the PS3 days and kept it that way since. I applaud Nintendo for being innovative, but they need to kind of stop now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby fittersau » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:41 am

I just wish Xenoblade was on PS4...