Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:23 pm

But I still don't get it. What's the selling point for the NX, apart from maybe the software? I mean, a handheld thing which can be connected to your TV? Sounds like a Super Game Boy kind of thing to me. Unless the handheld is as powerful as a stationary console, there is no real point. If it wasn't as powerful as a stationary console, it would just be a handheld which can be connected to the TV.

And about the software... Yes, Nintendo has a lot of big IPs but it is 3rd party developers they need. They need to make sure Rockstar's, Capcom's, Tecmo's Square Enix's, major titles are out there on their system. The thing which kept me from buying a Nintendo system, is that most of the big titles I get on there are NIntendo's own. And I'm not that much into their stuff.

Played a through couple of Zeldas (loved Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess which I all finished) and Marios and thought they were great but other than that? Nintendo's stuff has never been quite my cup of tea and never will.

I guess a lot of potential buyers which are not Nintendo fans feel that way. It's the 3rd party support Nintendo need to swing the non-fan buyers.
User avatar
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:29 pm

If this turns out to be true I just can't see this thing doing well. Handheld gaming is dying a slow death, sure us gamers may prefer a 3DS or Vita over an iPhone but the majority of the public don't mind and Joe Public made up the majority of Game Boy and DS sales.

This is also going to be so under powered compared to what we already have on the market let alone when Scorpio and Neo come out. The max storage on the cart would be 32GB yet most games are much bigger then that, GTAV takes up 50GB on the PS4 so I guess we can rule out Rockstar's third party support.

Nintendo just seem to want to be different for the sake of it and not actually because it makes sense. If they made a system that could run the latest CoD, Fifa and GTA games as well as have their exclusives with a normal controller and a decent online service they would clean up big time.

I just can't wait for them to go third party at this point so I can play Zelda on a powerful system, Mario with a controller I don't have to waggle or hold a tablet to play and Mario Kart online with my friends.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
User avatar
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2006
Location: Kent, England
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:39 pm

Exactly that. I'd always buy Nintendo games, but at this point I can't ever see myself investing in one of their consoles. Including their handhelds. Then again I'm not one of those who spends all their money on games.
User avatar
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III
 
Joined: January 2005
Location: Manchester, innit!
XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Ryuuji95 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:57 am

I was never really into nintendo over the years. i kinda feel its a step up from Wii U though. at the same time i used to be jealous of how they would get more japanese games than Xbox did. the NX i think will just be like the 3DS where its 3D on one side but 2D on TV (unless you want it that way).
User avatar
Ryuuji95
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: October 2013
Location: Roppongi Nightclub
PSN: Fury7493
XBL: HazukiXL64
Steam: AkiraXL64
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5: FS

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Zoltor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Riku Rose wrote: If this turns out to be true I just can't see this thing doing well. Handheld gaming is dying a slow death, sure us gamers may prefer a 3DS or Vita over an iPhone but the majority of the public don't mind and Joe Public made up the majority of Game Boy and DS sales.

This is also going to be so under powered compared to what we already have on the market let alone when Scorpio and Neo come out. The max storage on the cart would be 32GB yet most games are much bigger then that, GTAV takes up 50GB on the PS4 so I guess we can rule out Rockstar's third party support.

Nintendo just seem to want to be different for the sake of it and not actually because it makes sense. If they made a system that could run the latest CoD, Fifa and GTA games as well as have their exclusives with a normal controller and a decent online service they would clean up big time.

I just can't wait for them to go third party at this point so I can play Zelda on a powerful system, Mario with a controller I don't have to waggle or hold a tablet to play and Mario Kart online with my friends.


I'm sick of people saying that BS. This stupid moble market, is a 100% completely different market from gaming altogether. There will always be a market for a dedicated gaming handheld, with high quality "built in god damn controls"

On to the next point, no one who cares about the actual games, should give a damn about power at this point. Consoles are way more powerful then they ever should be these days, and if that's what a company is thriving on(hardware or game developer, it doesn't matter), they need to hurry up, and die.

What I care about, is quality games, we're at a point, that more power will never again lead to new gens, and if the wii U can run games like Xenoblade Chronicles X as well as Zelda Breath of the Wild, no more power is needed.


Nintendo should never under any circumstances cater to the shitty companies people seem to be talking about, when people complain a Nintendo system doesn't have 3rd party support.

I would rather never see Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Activision, ect games on such, infact the Industry would be so much better if all of them, would just go under.

If people would stop sucking the dicks of so called AAA companies that don't deserve anyone's respect, they would realize, Nintendo has been getting nearly all the 3rd party games that actually matter, infact the wii U still has some more 3rd party games slated for release, despite the fact the NX is around the corner.


Now back to the whole power for the sake of power thing, um no, know what would be nice, and actually needed, faster loading times, not having to install games on a HD, a not only more durable system, but such will cost less as well, ect.

All of which the NX will have, the NX will surely steer the console industry, back to being "consoles", instead of wannabe crappy PCs.

Also making a hybrid system is super smart, as any game made for it, can be played for a handheld or console, Nintendo doesn't need to separate their development teams either to work on two different systems, everyone making games will be making them for 1 system.

This also means Nintendo wont be competing with them selves lol. Every gen, people generally choose which Nintendo system to buy 1st(since their handhelds are always god, guess which one, most people pick 1st), while the other system they need to buy much later in the gen.

I'll take that over useless power anyday.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Raithos » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 pm

I love Xenoblade Chronicles X, best game on the system to me. Have you played it? I don't think you have. Beautiful game that is forced to run at 720p 30 fps and STILL has to make sacrifices due to the low end hardware of the Wii-U.

As soon as you go running through the city there is a ridiculous amount of pop in where buildings/mechs/cars just appear out of nowhere. Textures some times take forever to load. In the field where there are no buildings its no where near as bad, but sometimes you can lock onto an enemy before you can ever see it. It wouldn't of had any of these issues if it were releases on a different platform.

Its 2016. If a company releases an under-powered system they are settings themselves up for failure. The game engines being created in conjunction with the imaginations and ambitions of developers demand it. If Nintendo releases a console not up to par they might as well name it the Wii-U 2.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Sonikku
User avatar
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: July 2013
Location: Jehuty
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Kintor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 pm

Zoltor wrote:I'm sick of people saying that BS. This stupid moble market, is a 100% completely different market from gaming altogether. There will always be a market for a dedicated gaming handheld, with high quality "built in god damn controls"

You may believe that handheld gaming is a seperate market to mobile gaming but evidently the majority of consumers disagree with your assertion, hence the rapid decline in Nintendo's market share. Smartphone technology has improved exponentially since the heyday of the original DS, so that today even a fairly basic smartphone represents a better value proposition compared to a 3DS. As a gaming platform smartphones are more powerful and have much higher quality screens then a 3DS. Plus, games on smartphones are much more affordable and easier to download, compared to Nintendo's incompetent idea of network infastructure. It's no wonder at all that the 3DS can't compete with smartphones and I expect the NX to be another failure.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Zoltor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:20 pm

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote:I'm sick of people saying that BS. This stupid moble market, is a 100% completely different market from gaming altogether. There will always be a market for a dedicated gaming handheld, with high quality "built in god damn controls"

You may believe that handheld gaming is a seperate market to mobile gaming but evidently the majority of consumers disagree with your assertion, hence the rapid decline in Nintendo's market share. Smartphone technology has improved exponentially since the heyday of the original DS, so that today even a fairly basic smartphone represents a better value proposition compared to a 3DS. As a gaming platform smartphones are more powerful and have much higher quality screens then a 3DS. Plus, games on smartphones are much more affordable and easier to download, compared to Nintendo's incompetent idea of network infastructure. It's no wonder at all that the 3DS can't compete with smartphones and I expect the NX to be another failure.


If by average consumer, you mean the non-gamer public? Sure, yes all the non-gamers who bought a wii, treat such the same, but real gamers will always pick a dedicated handheld over a stupid moble device .

You're forgetting the fact, that moble has no physical media, it has no real controls, It's a god damn moble device that does too many things, so lifespan suck, you require internet, ect.

Moble is never going to replace a dedicated gaming hanheld device
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:15 am

Theirs room for both dedicated handhelds and smartphone games in the market. Enough room to say both can be around and make a profit. The only question is which will make more money faster and be more sustainable. Which is why Nintendo themselves have started making smartphone games aswell. They are being smart and covering their bases unlike Sony and MS which are sleeping on it imo.

We have probably double the amount of console gamers out there these days compared to the previous gen. I think the NX is going to turn a decent profit no matter if the casual market buys it or not. It just needs good games and needs them right out of the gate. The mistake with the Wii U was simply it had hardly any good games during the first couple years. If Nintendo brings the games and they are actually good without relying on a gimmick too much, then the NX will be fine. If the games are shallow and suck, it will fail. It's pretty simple. Nothings new here. It's just as it's always been.
User avatar
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Fukuoka, Japan

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Kintor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 am

Zoltor wrote: If by average consumer, you mean the non-gamer public? Sure, yes all the non-gamers who bought a wii, treat such the same, but real gamers will always pick a dedicated handheld over a stupid moble device .

You're forgetting the fact, that moble has no physical media, it has no real controls, It's a god damn moble device that does too many things, so lifespan suck, you require internet, ect.

Moble is never going to replace a dedicated gaming hanheld device

There's no need for you to be condescending towards mobile gamers, especially since Nintendo has well and trully been humbled by the rise of smartphones. The power disparity between smartphones and the 3DS made Nintendo's failure inevitable. Even when new the 3DS was running on outdated technology and now at the end of the console's life it's obsolete technology beyond any shadow of doubt. For the most part gamers have chosen smartphones over Nintendo's handheld consoles and this trend away from Nintendo can only continue in the future. At this rate the NX, this hybrid console, will be Nintendo's last console - Nintendo doesn't stand a chance against smartphones.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: If by average consumer, you mean the non-gamer public? Sure, yes all the non-gamers who bought a wii, treat such the same, but real gamers will always pick a dedicated handheld over a stupid moble device .

You're forgetting the fact, that moble has no physical media, it has no real controls, It's a god damn moble device that does too many things, so lifespan suck, you require internet, ect.

Moble is never going to replace a dedicated gaming hanheld device

There's no need for you to be condescending towards mobile gamers, especially since Nintendo has well and trully been humbled by the rise of smartphones. The power disparity between smartphones and the 3DS made Nintendo's failure inevitable. Even when new the 3DS was running on outdated technology and now at the end of the console's life it's obsolete technology beyond any shadow of doubt. For the most part gamers have chosen smartphones over Nintendo's handheld consoles and this trend away from Nintendo can only continue in the future. At this rate the NX, this hybrid console, will be Nintendo's last console - Nintendo doesn't stand a chance against smartphones.


Power doesn't mean crap anymore, well it hasn't meant crap for a very long time infact, but it means even way less now.

They could make a mobile device that's 10x more powerful then the most powerful super computer in the entire world, and it still wouldn't matter.

Did you even read my post, power has nothing to do with it, I didn't say mobile has much less graphical power or anything like that.

PS. Hell I didn't even get into the pricing models yet lol, we could spend all day talking about that too, if you so want? The mobile, and the handheld market are 100% different markets altogether.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Kintor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:20 am

Zoltor wrote: Power doesn't mean crap anymore, well it hasn't meant crap for a very long time infact, but it means even way less now.

They could make a mobile device that's 10x more powerful then the most powerful super computer in the entire world, and it still wouldn't matter.

Did you even read my post, power has nothing to do with it, I didn't say mobile has much less graphical power or anything like that.

PS. Hell I didn't even get into the pricing models yet lol, we could spend all day talking about that too, if you so want? The mobile, and the handheld market are 100% different markets altogether.

The games industry has always been about power. Let's not forget this brilliant peice of marketing:

phpBB [video]


A console perceived as being technically inferior to the competion becomes worthless in the eyes of the public. This is the problem Nintendo has been facing ever since the Wii, they gave up trying to create competative hardware and relegated themselves to second tier status. The WiiU couldn't compete with the PS4, Xbox One and PC. Just as how the 3DS couldn't compete with smartphones. The NX will be the same story, weak hardware that makes Nintendo look bad.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:57 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: Power doesn't mean crap anymore, well it hasn't meant crap for a very long time infact, but it means even way less now.

They could make a mobile device that's 10x more powerful then the most powerful super computer in the entire world, and it still wouldn't matter.

Did you even read my post, power has nothing to do with it, I didn't say mobile has much less graphical power or anything like that.

PS. Hell I didn't even get into the pricing models yet lol, we could spend all day talking about that too, if you so want? The mobile, and the handheld market are 100% different markets altogether.

The games industry has always been about power. Let's not forget this brilliant peice of marketing:

phpBB [video]


A console perceived as being technically inferior to the competion becomes worthless in the eyes of the public. This is the problem Nintendo has been facing ever since the Wii, they gave up trying to create competative hardware and relegated themselves to second tier status. The WiiU couldn't compete with the PS4, Xbox One and PC. Just as how the 3DS couldn't compete with smartphones. The NX will be the same story, weak hardware that makes Nintendo look bad.



It's hilarious you post a pic of the genesis, because the fact is, It's a closer matchup to the NES(even then the NES library is far superior with better color, and some similar games running a million times better on the NES)

There's this false impression that competing=similar graphics lv, and anyway there's only two real consoles ever since Sega left the hardware industry(The XBOX brand has been little more then a FPS, and EA marketing machine), covering very different types of gamer at that, so no if anything, the last thing Nintendo should do, is follow suit.

As much as I hate Ubisoft, they did give a real reason to why they aren't gunho on Nintendo systems, instead of them whining about graphic power(which oddly enough they haven't been doing such lately, although I find it disturbing that they think handheld gaming systems are geared towards the casuals, just because they are handhelds/have less power then consoles) like usual, they just simply said, their games don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

It may very well be the first legit statement Ubisoft has ever said in their entire existence.

One may ask, well why don't such sell on Nintendo consoles, It's not like they haven't truly tried(It's really one of the only times they put real effort into something too).

Well there's a few reasons, one is that most of the types of games Ubisoft makes, are not really the types of games even the hardcore gamers who buy a Nintendo system would ever play(well not if they have to pay more then 5-10 bucks for anyway), and the types of games Nintendo system owners would play, the Ubisoft variants are mediocre at best. Nintendo system fans have come to expect a hell of a lot more, then what the Ubisoft variants have, so yea ofcourse such Isn't going to sell.

The people who claim to hate Nintendo, are the same people that are more accepting of buggy or unfinished games. Bethesda gets away with murder on a regular basis, and in a million years Ubisoft/Crapcom would never dare pull that Unity'SF V BS on a Nintendo system. The first time they did that, would likely be the last time they release any game on a Nintendo system, without having such be play tested/beta tested by Nintendo employees first.

Speaking of crapcom, Sony is stupid for not making sure the game was finished, when crapcom released SF V(all the insane amounts of money Sony spent, was literally pissed down the drain), Sony definitely has legal grounds to sue Crapcom for such, even though Sony was careless(Sony funded Crapcom to make a whole game, Crapcom knowingly releasing a unfinished game, which inturn natually hurt Sony's rep big time, and cost Sony a fortune on just the cost of the failed SF V game alone, let alone made people more hesitant to buy anything funded by Sony before waiting for "user" reviews, not just the Crapcom IPs)

Now back to your argument, that's not true, only the graphics whores will write off a system for so called having inferior specs. You know, the people who need to have every new thing on launch day, and get rid of their older, more useful systems, just because It's not the "new" thing. These people need to cling to specs, because there's no library, so bragging about specs is the only way to warrant their early purchase.

In the "real" world, people who play games, because they actually like X games, do not consider olde systems or tech in gereral as inferior.

It's ironic needing to explain such on a Shenmue site of all things, a series on a console that while was the most power at the time, still has the some of the best games not only gameplay wise, but visually as well(hell even 3D graphics as well, to date, the main characters heads are still easily among the best heads ever made, if not thee best, they're definitely still the most realistic heads ever made). Does anyone who Isn't completely ignorant, think the DC is inferior, no. The only think about the DC that is inferior is the damn laser, due to them over spending on the Saturn's Laser, they when full on scrooge MC'Duck with the DC's laser sigh.


Many companies, as well as graphic whores only care about the here, and now, but what's really important is if a game has staying/lasting power. Do you think Square became such a big company, by releasing the generic, money grabbing crap they make these days, hell no, infact long ago they use to actually make great games. Now, the few potentially good games they do release, tend to be Japan only tsk tsk tsk.

16ish years later, Shenmue is still alive, most hardcore fighting game fans, still play mainly MvC2 as well as SF third strike, most RPG fans play RPGs from the 90, and back. Strategy games, are early 20001, and back, ect.

All on systems with nowhere near the raw power of the PS4 mind you. What matters to most people who "actually" care about games, is a console's "library", not the specs of X console.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:30 am

Wow. You need to get out more.
User avatar
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III
 
Joined: January 2005
Location: Manchester, innit!
XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Axm wrote: Theirs room for both dedicated handhelds and smartphone games in the market. Enough room to say both can be around and make a profit. The only question is which will make more money faster and be more sustainable. Which is why Nintendo themselves have started making smartphone games aswell. They are being smart and covering their bases unlike Sony and MS which are sleeping on it imo.


I just don't see much point in handheld gaming anymore with mobile phones now being as powerful as they are. Sure the gamer crowd prefer buttons but the majority of games that require them I would rather play on the big screen anyway and the majority of people don't care about touchscreens. I don't see why if Nintendo went third party they couldn't release the likes of Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem on iPhone/iPad. None of the games really require split second button presses which makes playing games like Sonic on your phone so clunky. How cool would it be to also have your phone automatically sync up with your Facebook like so many apps do so you can visit all your friends towns in Animal Crossing without having to use friend codes. Pokemon Go and Miitomo has shown there is great demand for Nintendo games on those devices, even more then on their own systems since virtually everyone has a smart device.

I also just can't see people in 2017 taking this NX out with them in public as it's an extra thing to carry around. Just over 10 years ago you'd occasionally see a kid in a shop on his DS while his parents shopped but now they're all playing on iPhones since parents already have them on them.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
User avatar
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2006
Location: Kent, England
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net