Red Dead Redemption 2

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Red Dead Redemption prequel.

Postby Kiske » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 am

Kiske has received a thanks from: Axm
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:12 am

Wow. It's a straight up sequel? But isn't that Marsden on the left?

Who cares, trailer on Thursday.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:37 am

Now that I think about it, RDR2 and Shenmue 3 release dates are actually very close to each other...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:41 am

Monkei wrote:I don't have a clue about Revolver though, I've been thinking about getting that. Psychonauts already gave me a little bit of eye cancer though and I've yet to play Canis Canim Edit/Bully, which might worsen that.. so I don't know. Is it worth it?

I have a bit of nostalgia of it, so I might not be the most trustworthy guy to recommend it, but I love Revolver all the same. I got the PS4 version a few days ago, so it's sort of fresh in my mind; it's not the smoothest gameplay experience in the world (it's a little stiff all around), but for a fan of spaghetti westerns, I still think it's just about the best candy out there. Just about all of the story elements and characters are references to one spaghetti western or another, and the soundtrack is almost all genuine music pulled from a variety of old movies. It's level-based rather than open-world, but it's still easy to see where most of Redemption's ideas came from.
I will say though, the PS4 version is kind of weird, since it might be a PC emulator-style upscaling and all, but it's still an upscaling of the worst version of the original, so it's not exactly the perfect representation of the original. I'd have to pull out my old Xbox to check, but I could have sworn some of this stuff looked better in the original Xbox version over this PS4 version.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 am

Fuuuucking HYYYPE.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ys » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:17 am

Riku Rose wrote: The original game sold almost 15 million copies so the sequel is a sure thing. I imagine they will do something similar to the Fallout 4 reveal where we will get it around 6 months after it's announced. GTAV came out 2 and a half years ago now so they must be working on something over at Rockstar.

GTA Online double experience weekend events :P I read that they made 700 million USD last year just from people buying Shark cards.

I seem to recall though that Rockstar were pretty open about a Red Dead Redemption sequel/prequel being likely during an interview. They stated that prefer to cycle through franchises instead of milking one constantly.

OL wrote: The original game was told well enough and gave you plenty of information on the characters' backgrounds without being too obvious about it all. And I love that shit. Just like how I love Cowboy Bebop for never explicitly setting out the events of Spike's past too directly, I loved that we only get little snippets and mentions of who Marston used to be and how he related to his gang. I don't want to see anything further with Marston. His story is done, and it was done well.

True. You knew enough about Marston's past to understand things in the context of the game. I wouldn't be against it but there is no real need to see it for ourselves in a way.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:59 am

I'm a bit Meh on the prequel setting. I was hoping it would star a new protagonist but just not set at the end of the old West. I'll keep my eye out for this. Rockstar doesn't usually make bad games. I perceive a huge component of this game's feature will be online which is a bit of a turn off. Didn't really care for gta online or V for that matter.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Postby OL » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:06 am

Yeah, I'd imagine online will play a big part since GTAV was so successful with that stuff. Plus, honestly, one of the biggest reasons I've never exactly clamored for a sequel to Redemption is... I mean, what else is there to do with the old west setting, really? They did just about everything you could want out of an open world western with the first game. Online is really the only other place to go that would really, genuinely provide something new.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:11 am

phpBB [video]
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kintor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:17 am

Beautiful art style. I'm looking forward to seeing what Rockstar can do with this game, as they build upon everything they've learnt from GTA V.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Whoa. :shock:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:55 pm

I wouldn't really call it an art style, so much as just regular old photorealism. All the same, looks pretty.
Not feeling any hype whatsoever though, because... what does the trailer even show, really? Some open environments? A little bit of wildlife? Two lines of dialogue that mean nothing to anyone out of context?
Like I said before, I'm not even sure there's anything new left for them to do with the old west setting from a gameplay standpoint (Redemption 1 pretty much covered all the bases), so I think until they show something that makes me think otherwise, I'll probably remain kind of "eh" about the whole thing.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Well yeah, them having done (pretty much) everything they could with the setting is a valid point. They're probably bound to retread some old paths there.. but hey, if the story's great, the story's great. And if they can make lightning strike twice and achieve the same level of immersion, now with these gorgeous (most likely PS4 Pro powered) visuals? I'm so in. It looks stunning.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm

So they released a teaser trailer essentially. It looks great but that's to be expected. Not much else to go on. I'm surprised that it wasn't atleast 2:30 in length. Hoping against hope that it's not a prequel. Still Meh about the whole thing though it's always nice when Rockstar occasionally does something not GTA related.
Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Apologises for the double post but I thought this was warranted and don't recall this ever happening. Tonight I just saw a ps4 ad for the RDR2 teaser trailer on tv. I was quite surprised when I saw this. Like I said does anyone else remember anything of this sort happening so early before?
Jesse

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming