The Silver Case Remake

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Silver Case Remake

Postby shredingskin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:19 am

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:35 pm

The Silver Case PS4 version is getting two new scenarios.

The Silver Case for PS4 adds two new scenarios, two new music tracks and 12 remixes

The PlayStation 4 version of The Silver Case will have two brand-new chapters that extend and complete the story of the game, and two brand-new tracks and 12 remixes by Akira Yamaoka, Erika Ito, and the Grasshopper Sound Team.

Here are the details on the new chapters, via NIS America:

The two new chapters are titled “Yami” and “White Out Prologue.” Yami takes place several months after the last chapter and serves as a conclusion to the initial game, and White Out Prologue occurs afterward with a time leap, linking The Silver Case universe with Suda 51’s episodic sequel, The Silver Case: Ward 25.

The Silver Case is due out for PlayStation 4 on April 18 in North America and April 21 in Europe.

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/silver-case- ... UAoEe4s.99

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230555037

Wait, did I just see what I thought I saw...

White Out Prologue occurs afterward with a time leap, linking The Silver Case universe with Suda 51’s episodic sequel, The Silver Case: Ward 25.

It's really happening, isn't it? We're really getting the sequel to The Silver Case as well? \:D/

I actually think Ward 25 takes place after Flower, Sun & Rain too, so it will be nice to see the fate of Sumio.

Shame the PC version is such a dud now though, but hey if it means we get more Kill The Past/Goichi Suda written/directed games, whatever, I'll double dip.

This is far better news than No More Heroes 3 to me.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:09 pm

That's cool and all, but man, I'm still feeling raw over the handling of this whole release. Adding more content to the version I was practically screwed out of just adds fuel to the fire.
--rant deleted for being redundant--
Gonna be a while before I even play the game because I'm still pissed about this shite.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Cave Johnson, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:34 am

Nice way to piss off pc gamers.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Looks like it is coming to Steam as DLC as well if this article is anything to go by:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_s ... ign=buffer

Also, this interview confirms that Suda is returning to making Adventure games:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ign=buffer

In the interview he talks about Ward 25 as if it's already happening (he's linking these new scenarios with Ward 25, the sequel to The Silver Case & Flower, Sun & Rain) and that he is going to set the next Kill The Past game in maybe 2020 during the Japan Olympics, saying he wants to see how the characters from The Silver Case & Flower, Sun & Rain are by then.

He also says that him and the Spike-Chunsoft CEO have been talking about remaking Michigan: Report from Hell (found footage survival horror game that Suda and Grasshopper made on the PS2 only those of us in EU regions and Japan got), which sounds like more great news to me. Possibly another HD Remaster/Remake on the way nobody expected!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am

So the PS4 version is out. Has anyone bought the physical version? Is it worth it? I'm thinking about getting digital only.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 20, 2017 6:52 pm

The new chapters have been announced to be coming as free DLC on May 30th for The Silver Case HD.

Also, Suda just announced the sequel's HD remaster as well, which was originally a mobile phone only sequel in Japan:

phpBB [video]

=P~
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Just finished the game today, and I really, really liked it. It's not a masterpiece like Killer 7 but I found it a very, very good game nevertheless. The story is phenomenal and the characters are quirky and well-designed, as we are used to from Suda 51. Also I easily spent 20+ hours of playing time on my first playthrough which is a lot for a visual novel type of adventure game.

I'd strongly advise anyone playing this to go back and forth between Transmitter and Placebo chapters which will enhance understanding of the story greatly. Always go one chapter Transmitter, one chapter Placebo, one chapter Transmitter, one chapter Placebo and so forth.

The only things which stop this from being a masterpiece are the horrible controls (you do get used to them though) and the graphics. This kind of control scheme was dated as fuck, even in the late 90s. What the hell? Killer 7 was also "on rails" but that controlled just fine, quite unlike The Silver Case. Concerning the graphics, I know this is a 1999 PS1 game but it really looks worse than that, even in the remade version. A lot of times this reminds me more of a 1994 or 1995 early PS1/Saturn era game or even a Mega CD game.

But the music makes up for it. Man, those BGMs were so great! I kind of hate when people say this, but listening to the music in The Silver Case I felt like saying "They don't make em like this anymore".

I'm definitely gonna replay it to better understand the story in the future, kind of like Killer 8. There were two points in the story which I couldn't really understand and which I found a bit irritating. What are your theories?

1)
Who is the obese guy turning in his chair which the main character in the Transmitter section kills on the top floor of the TV Tower and why does he have that stupid smirk on his face before he gets shot?

2)
What's the bit near the end of Placebo with Morishima talking about being pregnant with Kamui's baby? And the bit were he kind of talks to himself in the chatroom. Is he a split personality? Is he a copy the "template Ayame", only in a male body just as the main character in the Transmitter chapters is a copy of the "template Kamui"?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

That's Nezu, who I'm pretty sure you have some chat room interactions with. He along with Tokio's grandfather (paternal father) was the architect of the 24 Wards. Nezu split off and did his own thing though with the 24 Wards.

Tokio is fucked up in the head, just the same as Sumio Kodai and the Main Character (Big Dick) are - both Big Dick and Tokio can see fragments of either their past or "ghosts" of those who have died. All three are haunted by their past. Tokio and Sumio's story continues in Flower, Sun & Rain, just in case you're wondering.

Just wondering if you also played the additional chapters they released? Were both really short but had some neat links to Flower, Sun & Rain and The 25th Ward.

The 25th Ward (The Silver Case sequel that was previously only on mobile phones in Japan) is getting released in the West by NIS America Early 2018 for both PS4 and PC.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks for your answer, Henry Spencer.

1(
That sounds like it makes sense. I may have failed to make the connection there because I didn't go back and forth between the Transmitter and the Placebo chapters. Instead, I decided to finish the entire Transmitter section first and then played the Placebo section. Unfortunately this was not a wise choice as it made understanding the story a lot harder.

2)
I played Yama as well as Whiteout. Whiteout really goes to show how effed up in the head Morishima is. But the airplane scene with Catherine is great though.

Can you help me understanding more about the series, please? I mix this up all the time. So, story-wise The Silver Case takes place before the 25th Ward and after that comes Flower, Sun and Rain, or is it Silver Case - Flower, Sun & Rain - 25th Ward?

It's a great thing 25th Ward is coming to the West, finally, and I'm definitely gonna support the game and buy it. I'd like to know if it will get a physical PS4 release too, just lke The Silver Case did.

So, will Flower, Sun and Rain come to PC and PS4 too? Let's wait and see. I think there is an English-language DS-version so we could always play that on an emulator if the PC and PS4 versions won't happen.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Thanks for your answer, Henry Spencer.

1(
That sounds like it makes sense. I may have failed to make the connection there because I didn't go back and forth between the Transmitter and the Placebo chapters. Instead, I decided to finish the entire Transmitter section first and then played the Placebo section. Unfortunately this was not a wise choice as it made understanding the story a lot harder.

2)
I played Yama as well as Whiteout. Whiteout really goes to show how effed up in the head Morishima is. But the airplane scene with Catherine is great though.

Can you help me understanding more about the series, please? I mix this up all the time. So, story-wise The Silver Case takes place before the 25th Ward and after that comes Flower, Sun and Rain, or is it Silver Case - Flower, Sun & Rain - 25th Ward?

It's a great thing 25th Ward is coming to the West, finally, and I'm definitely gonna support the game and buy it. I'd like to know if it will get a physical PS4 release too, just lke The Silver Case did.

So, will Flower, Sun and Rain come to PC and PS4 too? Let's wait and see. I think there is an English-language DS-version so we could always play that on an emulator if the PC and PS4 versions won't happen.

Chronologically it goes like this:

Twilight Syndrome series -> Moonlight Syndrome -> The Silver Case -> Flower, Sun & Rain -> The 25th Ward (possibly the conclusion?)

And I have played the DS version of FS&R through twice so far (one of my favourite games actually), after finishing TSC it kind of encouraged me to do another playthrough of it again, just to pick up on all of the weird goings on later on into FS&R that made no sense at the time but will now with all of the Silver Case characters that show up towards the end of the story. I now know who the fuck Sundance Shot actually is, who Tokio Morishima is, who Tetsugoro Kusabi is, who Sumio is, what the Silver Eyes are and what they do, what the heck characters are talking about in general etc.

Killer7 is its own thing but makes references, character cameos (Edo McAlister) and contains some story concepts that are eerily similar to what happens in TSC and FS&R and is considered a part of the Kill The Past series as well by both Suda and the fanbase.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Ok, thanks for your help. Might make sense to get a DS emulator and play Flower, Sun and Rain first before digging into The 25th Ward. Still, Killer 7 can probably be considered Suda's finest work so far.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am

Poster for The 25th Ward:

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

Looks great, I'm really looking forward to it.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 am

phpBB [video]

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: shredingskin
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III