Resident Evil VII

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Resident Evil VII

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Coming in January and can be played start to finish in Playstation VR.

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Resident Evil VII

Postby OL » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:55 pm

I was excited to watch the trailer at first... but then I was left squinting in confusion for the entire thing.
What about this has anything to do with Resident Evil?
It's first-person and seems to have more to do with ghosts and psychological horror, rather than the B-movie zombie horror we ought to be able to expect from the series. What the eff?
Sure, there will be people that defend it and say we should welcome change, blah blah blah... but if Capcom wanted to make a game like this, couldn't they just create a new IP? I'd welcome it for what it is if that were the case. But pinning it down as "Resident Evil VII" prevents us from ever having a proper Resident Evil VII. This looks like something entirely removed from the rest of the series. It shouldn't be "Resident Evil."

OL has received 3 thanks from: Gavan, Henry Spencer, south carmain
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby goaliefrk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 am

OL wrote: I was excited to watch the trailer at first... but then I was left squinting in confusion for the entire thing.
It's first-person and seems to have more to do with ghosts and psychological horror, rather than the B-movie zombie horror we ought to be able to expect from the series. What the eff?
Sure, there will be people that defend it and say we should welcome change, blah blah blah... but if Capcom wanted to make a game like this, couldn't they just create a new IP? I'd welcome it for what it is if that were the case. But pinning it down as "Resident Evil VII" prevents us from ever having a proper Resident Evil VII. This looks like something entirely removed from the rest of the series. It shouldn't be "Resident Evil."

I would be very surprised if it is not somehow tied into the story. I doubt they would completely leave the story and everything that entails it behind. That being said, Capcom has been known to make dramatic changes to their series. For example, in RE4 the original trailers had Leon in an unidentified castle or mansion type facility (allegedly Umbrella Co. HQ) and then of course changed it to a completely different environment (which ended up being superbly good).

All in all, I do expect it to be related to the series, keep in mind this is just one trailer, let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Either way it looks good and I welcome the change. Was anyone else reminded of almost a Silent Hill aspect (i.e. Silent Hills)?
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:01 am

OL wrote: I was excited to watch the trailer at first... but then I was left squinting in confusion for the entire thing.

Yeah, i was confused as well. I thought I was watching a Silent Hill trailer. Great trailer though and, to be fair, we haven't really seen much of anything. It could very well be rooted in RE lore, and it damn well should be with the title Resident Evil 7.

Not too hot on the first person perspective though.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:16 am

I liked that trailer actually, but I would like to see more game play. It has a good release date too, Jan. next year. I would like to hear Yamas thoughts on it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 am

So they turned Survivor into mainline RE now? And rip off P.T. whilst they are at it. Weird. Need to see more before I make my mind up on it, not sure I like this direction (still better than the direction RE6 took the series but still).

At least they have RE2 Remake in development for the more traditional RE game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 am

There is a demo up on PSN now.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Gavan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:32 am

Don't like it. Hate the first person camera and the Silent Hill/Evil Within feel. Looks like it doesn't have ANY action at all (based on the trailer and demo). RE5-6 weren't real Resident Evil games but neither is this. They went too far in the opposite direction this time. Again, all based on the trailer and demo, maybe the full game is different I don't know. The only hope for true RE is RE2 Remake at this point.
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:29 am

My first thought at looking at the trailer was that I wasn't getting a resident evil vibe from it at all and I'm not even that big of a fan of the series.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:53 am

Honestly, it looks like the kinds of indie horror games I always see popping up on Steam nowadays. Like an Outlast sorta thing. So even as a new direction for the series, it doesn't even come off as particularly original.
That might be the biggest strike against it, actually. I might be cool with a new direction if it were something genuinely intriguing and different, but it really just seems to be trying to follow the basic vibe that's already popular in horror gaming nowadays. And in itself, that rubs me the wrong way. I feel like Resident Evil ought to be among the preeminent horror series in gaming, not just one that follows trends. It ought to be setting trends. And here, even with this meager trailer, it's obvious that that isn't going to be the case.

OL has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Resident Evil hasn't been that for a long time now. RE5 and RE6, whatever your opinion of them was, were not horror games, especially RE6. RE4 was the last one to "set the standard" from which others followed. Don't get me wrong, RE5 was an excellent game, one of my favourite last gen actually (my favourite TPS) but this is a step in the complete opposite direction RE6, Capcom seem to struggle with maintaining the balance nowadays.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Gavan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Resident Evil hasn't been that for a long time now. RE5 and RE6, whatever your opinion of them was, were not horror games, especially RE6. RE4 was the last one to "set the standard" from which others followed. Don't get me wrong, RE5 was an excellent game, one of my favourite last gen actually (my favourite TPS) but this is a step in the complete opposite direction RE6, Capcom seem to struggle with maintaining the balance nowadays.

RE4 wasn't really that much of a horror game either, it already had a lot more action than the previous games. The last true "horror" RE was 0. Don't get me wrong, I think 4 was a great game (I even liked 5 and 6), but I definitely prefer the style of 1, 2, 3, CV and 0. The action RE games should have been done as spin offs, not the main games IMHO. And yes, I am sure this game will be fun too, but it should not be called Resident Evil 7 either. They should just bring back the old style of gameplay with some minor modifications and updated graphics. That is what most fans want and the success of the remakes proves that there is still a demand for that type of game,
Gavan

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:14 pm

I like old school RE as well.

As for your other point. Well...they are, Resident Evil 2 is being remade.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Have they actually confirmed the entire game is going to be played from a first-person perspective? For all we know, the demo could be the equivalent of P.T.; a literal (tech) demo showing us what they're going for instead of being fully representative of the final product?

EDIT: Maybe I should have just Googled it, but yes, it's a first-person game. They seem to have the horror element down, so it'll be interesting to see if they can turn that into survival horror. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Last edited by ShenGCH on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:24 pm

ShenGCH wrote: Have they actually confirmed the entire game is going to be played from a first-person perspective? For all we know, the demo could be the equivalent of P.T.; a literal (tech) demo showing us what they're going for instead of being fully representative of the final product?

Would be pretty stupid of them to label it as resident evil 7 in that case though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to General Gaming