Pokemon Go

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Pokemon Go

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:04 am

I started playing it last week and I thought how big could this thing possibly get. Holy fucking shit its everywhere. First, everyone at work is playing it. I am mid 20s and I work as an engineer in a corporate environment. There are so many older people playing this in addition to the younger generation. In addition, people are talking about how they play it with their kids which is kinda cool. It lets them connect and they get to play outside together. Second, I went to a fairly large park last night down the street from me to see if I could catch anything. I pull up to the entrance and the park posted an official sign welcoming people to play Pokemon Go and showing what trails to go on. It was 9:30pm getting close to dark and there were about 30-40 people walking around all playing pokemon. The park management even bought lures to put on different signs to attract more people to come. In this one park there were dozens of pokemon, multiple stops, and a gym. They even had a police officer patrolling the premises to make sure everyone was ok. Third, I was at a bar last week and 9 out of 10 people that came in where playing or talking about it. Its honestly insane how popular it is and I live in Ohio. I can't imagine what its like in more crowded cities.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:05 am

I've never played Pokemon and don't anticipate that changing, but I think it's absolutely fantastic that this thing has proven so popular.

And just partly because it's dethroned the dubious Candy Crush Saga as the number one mobile game.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kintor » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:15 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I never understood what the appeal of Pokemon is. I remember when I was at school there was this weird hype around Pokemon cards. I mean like actual paper cards. And kids would let their card Pokemon fight each other and trade those cards or spend shitloads of money on a rare card. It was completely fucked up. And I sometimes saw some "Pokemon kids" get beaten up and their cards stolen by older kids who would then sell those cards to other Pokemon kids for a lot of money.

I just didn't feel like playing black-and-white Game Boy or fuckikng 5-color Game Boy in the early 2000s anymore so I never got into Pokemon. Feels so weird to have Pokemon come back. Could have done without that to be honest. Anyway, I don't play mobile games so if people want to play it, fine by me. Just hope the hype doesn't get to the point were you can't ignore Pokemon in public.

Yeah, Pokemon cards were seriously lame. Basically what happened is that Nintendo got Wizards of the Coast to take the gameplay mechanics of Magic: The Gathering and give it a Pokemon themed lick of paint. Boring and derivative to say the least.

Now, Yu-Gi-Oh! on other hand, that's a anime to card game done right:

phpBB [video]

It's time to D-D-D-D-D-Duel! Gets me pumped up every time. :D

Anyway, come to think; Pokemon cards and Pokemon GO share many of the same problems. When in reality Pokemon GO is just a fairly rudimentary geocaching game with a Pokemon lick of paint. The kind of GPS tracking game that's been available on phones even before the smartphone era. Nothing original here just IP licensing in motion.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:14 pm

I went to a local park around 9pm last night, and there must have been over 120 people there. Every single one of them was playing Pokemon Go. There was a small group of college age guys that kept screaming whenever they'd find something that they thought was cool; you could hear them from the other side of the park. Don't they know that'll scare the Pokemon away?
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Mr357 wrote:There was a small group of college age guys that kept screaming whenever they'd find something that they thought was cool

This is why I hate Americans.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:53 pm

I just hate college students really.

Thief has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:23 pm

https://twitter.com/BlogMHM/status/754115844985225216

Couldn't we embed tweets before? I thought so but I've had zero coffee today.

Raithos has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 pm

I got some Pokémans myself on the app. Can't be bothered to go outside just for Pokémans though. Usually do it when I walk my dog.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Any grown man who goes out in public pretending to catch Pokemon really needs to take a good look at themselves and reconsider what they're doing with their life.

I'm level 11 myself. It's a fun little game but once you realize there isn't much to it other then the same repetitive nature it starts to feel a little pointless. It certainly is crazy how big this thing has got but the mobile market moves stupidly quick and it won't be long until it's just Pokemon fans playing it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Riku Rose wrote: It's a fun little game but once you realize there isn't much to it other then the same repetitive nature it starts to feel a little pointless. It certainly is crazy how big this thing has got but the mobile market moves stupidly quick and it won't be long until it's just Pokemon fans playing it.

It's literally just a re-skin of Ingress, which was also made by Niantic.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:09 am

The servers finally went up in Japan and as you can imagine, everyone is playing it and its a huge craze right now. For me it's been a really great experience and I've met so many people. Really having fun with it and I've already lost 2kg from walking to the moon and back. Also I'm doing this 100 push-ups a day for a month thing. Should be a good combination.
Really hope they update the game sometime soon with more features like trading and direct PvP so the community has more forced direct interaction with each other.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Snakiest » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 am

Yeah, the whole country of the rising sun is like snooker balls bumping into one another now. -)
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Previous

Return to General Gaming