NES Classic Edition

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

NES Classic Edition

Postby Thief » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:16 am

Was waiting for one of you guys to make a topic on this but y'all are slacking.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187 ... rice-games

Mini NES with 30 games packed in, HDMI out, and Classic NES controller that can be plugged into a Wii-Mote and used on other Nintendo consoles.

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts'N Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: NES Classic Edition

Postby OL » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:45 am

Aside from the HDMI-out, this wouldn't register as any more of a blip on my radar than any of the other throwback systems that get released by third-party companies all the time.
The thing that kills it: no cartridge support.
The lineup of games is nice enough I guess, but exactly zero of my actual favorites on the system are represented. On a system that literally had hundreds of games released for it (good god, so many interesting obscurities on there), boiling it all down to 30 and expecting that that's good enough is silly. They ought to have at least allowed you to play your own cartridges. No idea why that feature would be omitted. Like Sonikku said in another topic, I'll just stick with my old top-loader.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:48 am

I'm just interested in seeing if this thing gets cracked. If it's easily modable, then I might consider picking it up for $60.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Calshot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:05 am

Thief wrote: Was waiting for one of you guys to make a topic on this but y'all are slacking.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50193
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Thief » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:16 am

oh... well... title it better :P
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:33 am

OL wrote: Aside from the HDMI-out, this wouldn't register as any more of a blip on my radar than any of the other throwback systems that get released by third-party companies all the time.
The lineup of games is nice enough I guess, but exactly zero of my actual favorites on the system are represented. On a system that literally had hundreds of games released for it (good god, so many interesting obscurities on there), boiling it all down to 30 and expecting that that's good enough is silly. They ought to have at least allowed you to play your own cartridges. No idea why that feature would be omitted. Like Sonikku said in another topic, I'll just stick with my old top-loader.

I agree, but it's not really for people like us. (Well, maybe for me, because I haven't owned an NES in about 20 years.)

I think the idea of this though, is that this selection of games will be properly emulated and upscaled to 1080p. If you were allowed to just throw any cartridge in there, it might not work well for those games. They should at least have made it Internet compatible though, and allow you to download games from the Virtual Console onto the machine.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby mrandyk » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:06 am

Honestly to the general public this is a great deal that should sell a ton of units. For me though outside of the retro controller, this doesn't seem to be all that different than if I had these 30 games on my Wii's Virtual Console. For $60 you can get a Wii and mod it to run a NES (among other systems) emulator. I'll continue using my NES emulators on my Wii and phone and wireless wiimotes to play my NES games
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:50 pm

OL wrote: Aside from the HDMI-out, this wouldn't register as any more of a blip on my radar than any of the other throwback systems that get released by third-party companies all the time.

It most likely came down to budget. They wanted something cheap and small and to accommodate the cartridges you'd have to make it about 4 times bigger. As for the games I'm amazed that they got stuff like Mega Man when Nintendo doesn't even own it.

At the end of the day though it's not really something aimed at people like us who are all in on games. It'll be for someone who hasn't played these games or many games at all in 25 years and sees this on the shelf in Walmart and wants a nostalgia kick.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Honestly I wish I could just skip this and buy the games on virtual console. But Nintendo wants $5 a game. That's $5 for Zelda on your 3DS and $5 more to have it on the Wii U. This is $2 a game, what the hell. It's too bad really. If Nintendo just offered me a god damned cross buy of older titles that could be played on all my Nintendo systems I'd probably buy out my entire NES and SNES library. Instead I bought and will continue to buy nothing from VC. One might better play vintage if Nintendo is going to be so stingy.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:10 am

Sonikku wrote: Honestly I wish I could just skip this and buy the games on virtual console. But Nintendo wants $5 a game. That's $5 for Zelda on your 3DS and $5 more to have it on the Wii U. This is $2 a game, what the hell. It's too bad really. If Nintendo just offered me a god damned cross buy of older titles that could be played on all my Nintendo systems I'd probably buy out my entire NES and SNES library. Instead I bought and will continue to buy nothing from VC. One might better play vintage if Nintendo is going to be so stingy.

I don't know how their sales work, but my brother and I decided we were going to play through zelda 1 (and then went to go buy it on his wii-u vc) and it was luckily on sale for just $1. Might be something worth looking into.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Verderame » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 pm

No cartridges slot and no scart port means that this thing is just yet another emulation box, and not even the best one around. But it has the Nintendo brand on it and it's a nice NES micro reproduction after all, so i guess this will be enough for some people to go nuts about it.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Sonikku » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Thief wrote:
Sonikku wrote: Honestly I wish I could just skip this and buy the games on virtual console. But Nintendo wants $5 a game. That's $5 for Zelda on your 3DS and $5 more to have it on the Wii U. This is $2 a game, what the hell. It's too bad really. If Nintendo just offered me a god damned cross buy of older titles that could be played on all my Nintendo systems I'd probably buy out my entire NES and SNES library. Instead I bought and will continue to buy nothing from VC. One might better play vintage if Nintendo is going to be so stingy.

I don't know how their sales work, but my brother and I decided we were going to play through zelda 1 (and then went to go buy it on his wii-u vc) and it was luckily on sale for just $1. Might be something worth looking into.

Still $5.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/th ... elda-wii-u
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/th ... -zelda-3ds
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:27 am

The Japanese version has a slightly different list of games:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/30/japanese- ... te-6162011

Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby OL » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:27 pm

The Japanese version wins, just by virtue of having not one, but two Kunio games on it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming