What are your PC specs?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

What are your PC specs?

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:20 am

After weighing up the pros and cons for a while, I have decided to build a PC for gaming and general use, and seeing as there isn't really a thread like this, maybe it would be cool if we shared our PC specs, and perhaps used this thread as a potential hub for discussion about builds, hardware, and the like?

Here is the build I'm thinking of going with:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 28W 2ch Speakers

Anything else anyone recommends or is there anything I should know?

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Raithos
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: What are your PC specs?

Postby Raithos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:04 am

Looks to me like a great setup man. I've always loved Asus products, especially their motherboards. I've been running Windows 10 for awhile now as my friend got me a copy through his school (didn't want to give up my Win 7 key for the free upgrade) with zero issues. I have an old 120 GB SSD with 7 installed just in case I need it for some reason. Grab a second fan for that cooler. Any little bit helps when you're air cooling and those CM fans aren't going to break the bank. Here's my current setup:

CPU: Intel i7-4790k @ 4.4GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S with 2 140mm fans push/pull
Motherboard: Asus Z97 sabertooh mark 1
Memory: Corsair 2x8 GB 1600 DDR3
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD for OS/main programs
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD for games
Storage: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM for media storage
Optical: Asus Blu-Ray drive
GPU: EVGA 780ti SC (selling, moving to a 1070/1080 soon)
Case: Corsair C70. All fans replaced with Noctua, no sound even at full speed :)
PSU: Corsair 750, can't remember which
Monitor: Main - BenQ XL2420T 120hz, secondary - Dell P2314H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 - Tenkeyless w/ brown switches
mouse: Razer Deathadder black edition
Speakers: Some logitechs
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:21 am

My PC specs are fairly ordinary, but you should've seen my non-PC specs.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 4 thanks from: Mr357, myshtuff, Raithos, ShenGCH
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Raithos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm still on the waiting list for those :(
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Man are you guys gaming at 4k or something? What in blazes do you need with a 1070/1080? :lol: Then again, as a gamer I don't really need an i7 either. i5 seems plenty good for basically everything short of hardcore encoding. The 1060 I ordered looks to be overkill for 1080p gaming as it is, which should give me a buffer in the year or so to come.

Windows 7-64
R4 Case
ACER H77m Socket 1155 motherboard
8gb GSKILL DDR 3 ram
i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
EVGA 600 watt Silver PSU
EVO 212 cooler
Crucial 256GB SSD
Seagate 500gb HDD
Radeon 7770

The system was cheap for its time and is over four years old but it has held up pretty well. Basically all it needs is a new video card and I already have one on the way. A skylake would be neat as would 16gb of ram but the boost doesn't seem worth it to justify jettisoning my current rig just yet. My favorite aspect of my machine is that it's basically silent, I can't hear the evo 212 cooler at 600rpm which is enough to keep my cpu operating at turbo below 55c under load. The R4 case also has sound dampening material to absorb some noise and my power supply's fans don't even spin most of the time. The 7770 basically can't be heard at 35% fan speed either which is enough to keep it at 60c under load. I'm expecting similar from the 1060 that's arriving Wednesday.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Sonikku wrote: Man are you guys gaming at 4k or something? What in blazes do you need with a 1070/1080? :lol: Then again, as a gamer I don't really need an i7 either. i5 seems plenty good for basically everything short of hardcore encoding. The 1060 I ordered looks to be overkill for 1080p gaming as it is, which should give me a buffer in the year or so to come.

Windows 7-64
R4 Case
ACER H77m Socket 1155 motherboard
8gb GSKILL DDR 3 ram
i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
EVGA 600 watt Silver PSU
EVO 212 cooler
Crucial 256GB SSD
Seagate 500gb HDD
Radeon 7770

The system was cheap for its time and is over four years old but it has held up pretty well. Basically all it needs is a new video card and I already have one on the way. A skylake would be neat as would 16gb of ram but the boost doesn't seem worth it to justify jettisoning my current rig just yet. My favorite aspect of my machine is that it's basically silent, I can't hear the evo 212 cooler at 600rpm which is enough to keep my cpu operating at turbo below 55c under load. The R4 case also has sound dampening material to absorb some noise and my power supply's fans don't even spin most of the time. The 7770 basically can't be heard at 35% fan speed either which is enough to keep it at 60c under load. I'm expecting similar from the 1060 that's arriving Wednesday.

Honestly, the reason why I'm going with such a powerhouse of a build is I feel I have been depriving myself of a true gaming experience for the past year or so, and only in the past few weeks have I really put my foot down and said 'Yeah, this needs to be sorted, pronto', so I'm going all-out. I'm not bashing consoles - they've been my portal to gaming for the past twenty years - but the power (or relative lack of) of eighth generation consoles just isn't cutting it any longer. Why play so many PS4 games at considerably lower settings and sub-30FPS when I can achieve way better performance with a great rig? I'm keeping hold of my PS4 for exclusives and such, but my go-to will be PC from now on.

Of course, there's the huge list of benefits for playing on any kind of decent PC as opposed to consoles, too: exclusives, free multiplayer, excellent price drops, the games are always cheaper, the freedom the modify the machine at any time, emulation, etc. As toxic and petty as the 'PC Master Race' can sometimes be, they absolutely have a point.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:02 am

I'm the exact same myself, building my first PC and was going to post a topic like this in a couple of days!

Went with the i7 4790k and ordered a gtx 1060 the other day. I will post a full list tomorrow. Needed to get a decent build for the video editing I am doing, and also check our some games on PC, as well as finally playing Shenmue in Demul. Lot of Shenmue related content in the pipeline from us, which we will keep everyone updated in the coming months. Let's just say 2017 will be the year of Shenmue :nice!:

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Ziming
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonikku » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:18 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Honestly, the reason why I'm going with such a powerhouse of a build is I feel I have been depriving myself of a true gaming experience for the past year or so, and only in the past few weeks have I really put my foot down and said 'Yeah, this needs to be sorted, pronto', so I'm going all-out. I'm not bashing consoles - they've been my portal to gaming for the past twenty years - but the power (or relative lack of) of eighth generation consoles just isn't cutting it any longer. Why play so many PS4 games at considerably lower settings and sub-30FPS when I can achieve way better performance with a great rig? I'm keeping hold of my PS4 for exclusives and such, but my go-to will be PC from now on.

Of course, there's the huge list of benefits for playing on any kind of decent PC as opposed to consoles, too: exclusives, free multiplayer, excellent price drops, the games are always cheaper, the freedom the modify the machine at any time, emulation, etc. As toxic and petty as the 'PC Master Race' can sometimes be, they absolutely have a point.

I do not question wanting a better gaming experience than consoles. Though if you're gaming in 1080p @ 60fps your experience with all that extra hardware will be identical to my own. Do you encode? Are you gaming at 1440 or higher (4k)? I'm merely curious.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:20 am

Peter wrote: I'm the exact same myself, building my first PC and was going to post a topic like this in a couple of days!

Went with the i7 4790k and ordered a gtx 1060 the other day. I will post a full list tomorrow. Needed to get a decent build for the video editing I am doing, and also check our some games on PC, as well as finally playing Shenmue in Demul. Lot of Shenmue related content in the pipeline from us, which we will keep everyone updated in the coming months. Let's just say 2017 will be the year of Shenmue :nice!:

Yeah, Shenmue III at 60-plus FPS is going to be immense :)

Sonikku wrote:I do not question wanting a better gaming experience than consoles. Though if you're gaming in 1080p @ 60fps your experience with all that extra hardware will be identical to my own. Do you encode? Are you gaming at 1440 or higher (4k)? I'm merely curious.

I'm going to start at 1080p, but I might invest in a higher resolution monitor at some in the future.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:26 am

i7 2700k @ 4.6GHz + XSPC Raystorm
Gigabyte Z77-UD3H
4x 4GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600MHz
MSI Gaming 980Ti @ stock + EK FC nickel
Crucial M550 1TB
NZXT Switch 810 (glossy black :sad: )
NZXT Sentry Mix 2

Cooling stuff -
XSPC D5 bay resevoir
Swiftech D5
XSPC EX360
XSPC EX240
5x Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15

Peripherals -
Yamakasi Catleap Q270
Cooler Master QuickfireTK (Cherry MX brown)
Razer Deathadder Chroma

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Raithos
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Raithos » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:45 am

You guys are making me proud =D>

ShenGCH wrote:
Sonikku wrote:I do not question wanting a better gaming experience than consoles. Though if you're gaming in 1080p @ 60fps your experience with all that extra hardware will be identical to my own. Do you encode? Are you gaming at 1440 or higher (4k)? I'm merely curious.

I'm going to start at 1080p, but I might invest in a higher resolution monitor at some in the future.

You'll get a lot of use out of it being as you are getting a 144hz monitor. 60 fps is great, most games don't need more than that, but wait until you play an fps or action game with 120+ frames per second lol you'll be amazed. With a system like that you're going to be looking at games like you've never seen them before. You'll find yourself re buying games you played on console for cheap on steam and drooling. I say this as someone who buys a shit ton of console exclusives. I love them, but the experience is night and day.

I can't wait for Shenmue III on PC!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:58 am

Raithos wrote: You guys are making me proud =D>

ShenGCH wrote:

You'll get a lot of use out of it being as you are getting a 144hz monitor. 60 fps is great, most games don't need more than that, but wait until you play an fps or action game with 120+ frames per second lol you'll be amazed. With a system like that you're going to be looking at games like you've never seen them before. You'll find yourself re buying games you played on console for cheap on steam and drooling. I say this as someone who buys a shit ton of console exclusives. I love them, but the experience is night and day.

I can't wait for Shenmue III on PC!

I've been holding out on DOOM just so I can play it on PC. Serious props to id for getting the console version running at 1080p/60, but I really want to play it on PC instead. Apparently I can get ~142FPS with the GTX 1070, which I can't even wrap my head around. What the hell does a game even look like over 60FPS? (I've honestly never witnessed it before...)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:04 am

This is the new PC i built a few months back. I just purchased a Zotac 1060 mini for it a few days ago.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core
Cooler: CRYORIG H7
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
OS Drive: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
Storage Drive: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" SSD
GPU: Zotac 1060 GTX Mini
Case: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonikku
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:00 am

Damn. I may still technically qualify for the PC Master race, but I cannot help but feel I am at the bottom rung of society, a PC Peasant if you will, being left out of the special i7s only club. :sad: I'll buy your old i5s/i7s and motherboards if all you people upgrading had newer than Sandy. :oops:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ryuuji95 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:44 am

I'm Kinda Poor than most of you guys. My PC is a Store Bought one From Fry's i found in a shopping cart opened on clearance sale for $600. it only needs 2 or 3 things upgraded though after dust clogged my heatsink and cut my PC off couple times. I almost made a PC but i couldn't help but that price they had on the ASUS after i graduated ITT Tech in 2015.

ASUS M51BC-US003S Essentio Desktop.
CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz Octa-core (Uses 4 of them but 8 unless its stuff like blender or after effects)
Cooler: AMD Stock Cooler (I might change this)
Motherboard: ASUS 90PA05B0‑M0XXN0 EVO AM3+ Socket
Memory: 16GB 1600Mhz (2 X 8GB) DDR3
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 7200RPM 1TB (I need an additional 2-3TB HDD for newer Games)
GPU: EVGA GT 730 2GB DDR3 (I want at least a GTX 750 Ti Superclock)
Case: ASUS ATX Essentio Tower
Power Supply: 350W
Audio: Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Setup with Dolby Digital and DTS Support.

it does an amazing job with emulators and most steam games but the only issue now is my PC isn't fast enough for Street fighter V or GTA V or Overwatch. i'm broke and i dont need 400 dollars worth of upgrading to 1 graphics card that needs a whole new PSU and i dont have the Monitor for 4k or the money for 4k because i don't want 4k and i want to keep it at 1080p, lately i've been playing most of my games at the highest at 720p to optimize FPS speeds. I use a 32" Panasonic Viera LCD HDTV for my monitor because i do most of my time watching netflix or Directv through my PC or playing certain older games in HD because i can't afford any new games or a PS4 yet. the lowest budget i want to be for my PC is at least 200 for my upgrades. Im a multiplatform gamer because i only play on any unless the games are good.
Ryuuji95
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fury7493
XBL: HazukiXL64
Steam: AkiraXL64
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5: FS

Next

Return to General Gaming