What are your PC specs?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are your PC specs?

Postby Mr357 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Peter wrote: Wow wait, I got the MSI 1060 and mines is different?

I didn't know there was differing aftermarket versions of the same card from the same manufacturer.

Anyways, I am just awaiting my CPU arriving, hopefully tomorrow, and then my build will begin! All parts sitting and waiting patiently.

With graphics cards, you have reference PCB's (printed circuit board) and custom PCB's. Most reference cards use the the reference cooler designed by AMD/NVIDIA, but some cards with custom coolers use the reference PCB. A custom PCB will always have the exact same GPU on it, but can differ in terms of how many RAM IC's, VRM's (voltage regulating module), 6/8 pin connectors, etc. it has onboard, and who manufactured each of those components. For example, when I got my 290X in 2013, people were trying to figure out which makers used Hynix RAM so that they could avoid the supposedly weaker Elpida IC's. The main reason for custom cards is to take advantage of more robust and reliable power delivery for better overclocking. Thanfully, "low end" graphics cards aren't really gimped in terms of VRM's like motherboards are.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Peter, St. Elmo's Fire
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Peter wrote: That's what crazy, I don't forsee any gaming on this build anytime soon. If anything, I just want to make sure I am prepared for the Shenmue beta!

Builds a powerful gaming PC for Shenmue Beta. Screw other games! That's hardcore man. :lol:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Peter
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:01 pm

It's also pretty fucking stupid if you ask me. The Pirate Bay is your friend, Peter. Climb aboard the Pearl and sail towards Tortuga for fuck sake!

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Peter, Sonikku
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:15 pm

Oh i grabbed Windows 8 from the Bay earlier. 3AM and i am fucking wrecked. The build is complete, OS installed, updates sorted, graphics card software installed. A few things still to do tomorrow, but thankfully its all ok now.

Had a heart attack on my first test boot pre GPU install. Basically, i hooked up the molex cable to power my 3 fans, but i shorted out the circuit by plugging in the 4 pin connector to the sysfan1 port on the mobo. When i switched it on for the first time...nothing. The fans twitched but that was it. I was well disheartened, and thought i was going to be sending something back. But after sitting in silence looking at it like a muppet for 5 minutes i released the fans were already getting power directly from the PSU so when i took out the 4 pin connector it all fired up. i haven't been that relieved in a long time.

To be honest i am talking shite, and will be playing games on this, but with Japan in 4 weeks i don't want to drop anymore money. But i will be getting VR also before the end of the year. I built the PC also because my laptop wasnt cutting it at all. Im deep into Vegas Pro at the moment, plus i am working on the Dojo Twitch channel to stream Shenmue live before the year is out. The i3 on the laptop was muck, as well as the RAM. Of course we also have Shenmue 3 etc, so its an investment. Plus i enjoyed the hell out of building it.

Peter has received a thanks from: Raithos
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Previous

Return to General Gaming