Playstation Meeting 2016

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Playstation Meeting 2016

Postby scarless landi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:56 pm

Was shocked we got an actual trailer for Mass Effect lol
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Where's the spec?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:02 pm

They didn't reveal them. I thought, for a business meeting, that was a tad sketchy.

I don't understand the movement into 4k right now. I mean the big thing at the moment is streaming, particularly gaming streaming. But there's no platform for 4k streaming. I don't even get the concept.of watching a meeting like this comparing current to 4k, when Twitch is terrible for quality and image display.
Also, who owns a 4k tv? No one I know, and there's no rush to go out and get one. Outside Netflix, no broadcast or has entered into 4k output, like Sky TV for example.

I'm not salty or disappointed, I just think we are entering into a period of tech one-upmanship between these companies. It doesn't interest me.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:16 pm

^ No 4K bluray support according this source : https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

Can you confirm? I didn't watch the full conf.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:24 pm

I wonder how StuffTV would know before anyone else. Especially minutes after the conference has finished..

But no, 4K Blu-Ray playback wasn't mentioned alongside the news they'll support 4K Netflix and YouTube.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Yokosuka wrote: ^ No 4K bluray support according this source : https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

Can you confirm? I didn't watch the full conf.

Yea no Blu Ray or optical mention whatsoever. Entertainment wise, we had Netflix, YouTube and perhaps something else? But no Blu Ray.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Amir » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 pm

Shocked at the lack of 4K Blu-Ray in PS4 Pro considering the Xbox One S has it.

I'll pass on this, will save money up for new PC to play Shenmue III on.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Doesn't help that I dropped 1k on a new PC build with good specs. There's no need for me to get this at all.

But even at that, there was no reason whatsoever that says YOU NEED THIS CONSOLE IN YOUR LIFE! Here's this one game which is gonna blow you away, exclusive, or built with Pro in mind. If Red Dead remaster was announced as a flagship title, this things pre orders would be roaring right at this minute. But there wasn't even a game which was new, and if they were trying to sell this on a comparison level, then they failed hard because it was being streamed on platforms that are way behind the times.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Wow. Sony blew that one hard.

No UHD BluRay. And very ambiguous visual upgrades to non 4k gamers. No graphical improvements or FPS to multiplayer games, since rocket league is my go to now, and considering I spent more cash than this costs to back Shenmue 3, no reason to get this anytime soon.

If by some miracle, Shenmue 3 gets visual upgrades beyond the expected 4k mode, then I'll buy if its cheaper.

Never thought I was going to get another microsoft console, but this shit just pushed me towards a xbox slim for the UHD player alone. Nice job Sony!
Puffin_Chronic
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Puffin_Chronic
XBL: purpleINDICA420
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 pm

No reason to upgrade from my current ps4, especially since i have no 4k tv anyway. The design aesthetics of the original ps4 are so much more sexy than these, i like the sharp angles of the original than the rounded off ones on slim and pro, too bad they skimped a bit on hardware, but lets face it microsoft is losing money to one up sony with slim s and scorpio and ps4 has already won anyway. Sony clearly doesnt care what microsoft is doing, playing it safe and not being baited into this hardware competition microsoft was trying to initiate is probably better for sony in the long run anyway. 4k blu ray would have been cool i guess, but how many people can do/are interested in this much 4k anyway? Maybe whatever comes after 4k is the real one that will make the jump to need that kind of support. 4k looks good but is it really worth everything in the new xboxes?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Twice the GPU power won't help the pro run 4k games if the base model is struggling to maintain 30fps in just 1080p. You would need four times the GPU power, double what the pro has to make 4k gaming plausible. And we're talking 30fps here. If it does 1080p @ 60fps that at least would be nice and would even be doable. But for the money, I think I'll just stick with my i5 2500 and 1060 gtx.

On a side not, I can scarcely believe Sony let Microsoft upstage them on bluray support, their OWN bloody format. More damning that 4k bluray is supported on even the new base model Xbone, while not only will the new PS4 base model exclude it but so too will the far pricier premium variant.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Pretty much if you already have a PS4 atm and just a 1080p set not such a compelling reason to upgrade until you get that 4K TV with HDR capability. And not even all 4k sets have HDR so you really got to get a new new 4k set and make sure it has HDR or else you're missing one of the main benefits of upgrading your TV.

So ya, basically nothing I didnt expect out of this. Getting a 4K HDR TV is pretty much the pre-req to the Pro being completely worth it. We all know the performance upgrade will be there for 1080p users but you'd be selling yourself short in not taking full advantage of the system.

What was actually dissapointing was the lack of 4K Blu-ray support and that they didn't atleast go with a 512GB SSD or 1TB Hybrid Drive.

So pretty much my personal progression in buying this shit will go as follows..

1. 1TB SSD (2017)
2. HDR capable 4K TV (2017)
3. PS4 Pro (2017-2018)
4. PSVR (PSVR 2 or PSVR Pro by 2018 probably)
5. Take a look at my wife and empty bank account. Claim Yakuza involvement. Move to a cabin in Hokkaido.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby munchmunch » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Underwhelming. Good thing I got the Xbox One slim last month.

And I think I'll get the slim for this too.
munchmunch

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:15 am

What a messed up generation:
first you had the wii u that people didn't knew if it was just a gamepad addon to the wii.

Then was the steam consoles that were pcs in a console case (with another controller).

Then two underpowered consoles.

Then everything was (is ??) about VR... you can have vr with your phone, vive (or whatever is called), morpheus or whatever, oculus, whatever, something, just put some shit in your eyes. And better grab some of those weird controllers, if not your VR experience is like sucking a tit with a bra on.

Now MS is launching a pretty buffed "new" xbone version and sony a less buffed ps4, and the only thing that matters is 4K.

And now it's the turn of Nintendo to do whatever the fuck they're going to do.

WTF, it's a fucking mess just to play some fucking videogames !! At this rate people will just grab a snes and call it a day.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:51 am

Yeah I'm not impressed in the slightest. They didn't even mention benefits to PSVR. Also they mentioned HDR support is being patched into current PS4s in a future firmware update. Granted it will only be 1080p support, but that takes steam away from the Pro as well. The vast majority of people will be playing on a 1080p TV for years to come, and even more don't know/care about HDR enough to upgrade.

What blows my mind more than Sony NOT including a UHD blu ray player (which alone would have the system flying off shelves) are the people in comment sections arguing about which system will play 4K games better lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming