Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Postby AlphaBushido » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:42 am

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite consoles of all time, she turns 17 today. I thought this would be nice chance to remember all our favorite games and memories of the DC.

My favorites were
Shenmue(duh)
Street fighter 3 double impact/alpha 3 (can't choose)
Soul Calibur
and House Of the Dead 2 (went dual wield with my light guns at home)

AlphaBushido
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: AlphaBushido
XBL: AlphaBushido
Steam: AlphaBushido
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: My dreams of Shenmue 3

Re: Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Postby Kintor » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 am

Nice cake AlphaBushido, what does a Dreamcast taste like?

Anyway, favourite games... so many to choose from...

I love Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia. Just to name a few.

I couldn go on all day about how much I love the Dreamcast and its library of games. For now though I think I'll just post this video which has a great 30 minute montage of Dreamcast games:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Kintor on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 am

Since most likely nobody else is gonna mention it, I'll just say that I really liked Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future back then. I'd totally buy an HD remake. Other than that it's pretty much the usual suspects.

The Dreamcast also made me experience my first time of using an online chatroom, which was hilarious at first. Me and my little brother laughed our asses off while writing nonsense or insulting people online. Yeah, that's how annoying I was. That was only the first couple times of trying it out though, after that I'd just become kinda addicted to chatting and talking to my regular contacts on there. That was back when people greeted each other with "a/s/l?". Oh, and I fell in love on Phantasy Star Online. The photo she sent me clearly was some kind of young looking underwear or swimwear model or whatever, but I was a kid, and kind of a loser I guess, and naive as fuck of course. Good times.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:48 am

It's actually almost 18 already. Less than 7 weeks to its real birthday.

Games that I like? Almost too many to count. The Dreamcast must be the system that had the highest density of awesome games by time ever. If you think what the system had to offer in just 2 years. And were not talking about mid or end life here. It was literaly ALL life.

Shenmue, Sonic, REZ, Code Veronica, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Dead or Alive 2, Tokyo Highway Challenge 2, Crazy Taxi, MSR, Daytona USA 2001, F355 Challenge, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis, PSO... wow

I never quite got the 2D fighter hype that the system is known and praised for. I have them, since I got a full PAL set, but I'm really a 3D fighter guy. And I really need to sit down and play Skies of Arcadia. I never got around doing that.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:27 pm

In the few weeks that I owned one at uni, I played five games on the Dreamcast:

Shenmue - Goes well with Braeburn apples, I found.

The Nomad Soul (Omikron) - One of my all time favorite games. I'd already played the PC version a few years earlier, but it was only with a joypad in my hand that I finally beat the final boss.

Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio) - Pretty fun but I wasn't very good at controlling it, so don't think I even played past the first level.

Sonic Adventure - Completed it, quite enjoyed it, but preferred the 16-bit games. Hated having the Earth/Eggman canon forced upon us.

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - Couldn't get on with this at all.

The only game I didn't play that I rather wanted to at the time was WWF Royal Rumble, even though its reputation wasn't stellar. I don't think I even knew Shenmue II existed at that point.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Mr357 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:The Nomad Soul (Omikron) - One of my all time favorite games. I'd already played the PC version a few years earlier, but it was only with a joypad in my hand that I finally beat the final boss.

You thought it was easier with a controller? I found the shooting segments frustrating as hell since you can't move and look up/down at the same time (that would require operating both the analog stick and d-pad at once). I do agree that the Dreamcast port is very good though. Load times aren't far behind the PC, and they didn't have to downgrade the visuals very much.

The Dreamcast is easily my favorite console. If nothing else, I just love the feel of it. The time frame it existed in (98-01) is very special to me. Besides Shenmue I & II, my favorites on the DC include Skies of Arcadia, The Nomad Soul, Seaman, Silver, Hydro Thunder (favorite arcade game), Space Channel 5, Metropolis Street Racer, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:The Nomad Soul (Omikron) - One of my all time favorite games. I'd already played the PC version a few years earlier, but it was only with a joypad in my hand that I finally beat the final boss.

You thought it was easier with a controller? I found the shooting segments frustrating as hell since you can't move and look up/down at the same time (that would require operating both the analog stick and d-pad at once). I do agree that the Dreamcast port is very good though. Load times aren't far behind the PC, and they didn't have to downgrade the visuals very much.

Controllers have always felt more natural to me than keyboard and mouse. I've never been an FPS fan anyway, so these sections of the game were always going to be the trickiest, but at that time I'd been playing a fair bit of GoldenEye so my hands were well adapted to aiming with my thumbs.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:40 am

Still love that little white box. What fantastic games I was able to play on it... Shenmue 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Rez, PSO, Crazy Taxi, F355, Capcom vs SNK 2, King of Fighters 2002, Jet Set Radio, Under Defeat, Virtua Fighter 3tb. And the list goes on and on and on. Fucking greatest console of all time to me.

It will always have a special place in my heart, I still love revisiting my DC for my annual playthrough of S1 and 2 or a few rounds KoF 2002, Ikaruga, VF3 and so on.

:heart: :king: =D>
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:45 am

God, the controller feels so weird to me now. I've been spoiled to death by the modern Xbox style.

Some weekend I'll have to reconnect with my old collection. I haven't played Psychic Force 2012 or RE 3 in a lifetime.
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: InsanityIsCrazy
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some Gizmo

Return to General Gaming