Your HD remaster cravings?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Your HD remaster cravings?

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:10 pm

sand4fish wrote: Image
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Most likely the best looking 3D game of the system due to the fantastic art direction but it could use a HD treatment for modern systems. A shout out as well to the possibly best localization of a Japanese game to the West, arguably surpassing the original.

Breakdown (Xbox)
This game was the inspiration for Mirror's Edge. The first FPS to focus on hand-to-hand combat with chain attacks, cartwheel shooting a la The Matrix and backflips. Probably it's the first one as well to give you a competent AI companion. Shenmue fans should appreciate the level of immersion given to the game as your avatar goes through the animation of searching a body, picking up an health item and examining it before finally consuming it.

God Hand (PS2)
Here is likely where PlatinumGames cemented their great taste for action focused games, back then known as Clover Studios.

Nier (PS3, Xbox360)
If Automata proves to be a successful game, this would be a great title to be reworked on as the mechanics could use a bit of ironing and the visuals were not up to standards even back in 2010 when it was released.

^ absolutely yes Vagrant Story. I have a love/hate relationship with that game. It's such an interesting combat system/world/etc, but it is just WAY too slow and tedious to be fun (imo). So many things about the game could be streamlined to make it much more enjoyable -- plus the visuals (while good looking for the era) certainly could use an update.

EDIT: added quote because of page change
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:20 pm

sand4fish wrote: Image
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Most likely the best looking 3D game of the system due to the fantastic art direction but it could use a HD treatment for modern systems. A shout out as well to the possibly best localization of a Japanese game to the West, arguably surpassing the original.

Breakdown (Xbox)
This game was the inspiration for Mirror's Edge. The first FPS to focus on hand-to-hand combat with chain attacks, cartwheel shooting a la The Matrix and backflips. Probably it's the first one as well to give you a competent AI companion. Shenmue fans should appreciate the level of immersion given to the game as your avatar goes through the animation of searching a body, picking up an health item and examining it before finally consuming it.

God Hand (PS2)
Here is likely where PlatinumGames cemented their great taste for action focused games, back then known as Clover Studios.

Nier (PS3, Xbox360)
If Automata proves to be a successful game, this would be a great title to be reworked on as the mechanics could use a bit of ironing and the visuals were not up to standards even back in 2010 when it was released.

Great games in this list. Some of my all time favourites, actually. I don't think they could do a remake of God Hand without Mikami though or the lead designer, Hiroki Kato (who was also lead designer of Vanquish), who left the games industry to become a farmer (for real!) Those two were an integral part of what made God Hand what it was.

Also, NieR: Automata has already sold 3 times what NieR ever did in its first week already in Japan! The Producer is saying the game is a success on Twitter too, so this may actually happen!

Breakdown is one of the best games on Xbox that got shat on by the gaming press back in the day, no idea why. One of Namco's most underrated games, I want to play it again, wouldn't mind a VR mode as well to try out for interest.

Vagrant Story remake by Yasumi Matsuno would be stunning but unfortunately the original game did not meet expectations since it release so late into the PS1's lifecycle so I don't see it happening. It's also Matsuno's favourite game in his career thus far, so it holds a special place in his heart, he even said on Twitter it's the one he wants to make a sequel for the most out of all of them. I also think it has one of the best soundtracks in games and is Hitoshi Sakimoto's masterpiece and has one of my favourite battle systems in games as well second only to Nocturne/DDS.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Interesting little facts about each title I mentioned. Thanks! I guess most will remain just cravings of mine.

I could see Taro abandoning the industry even though the success gained to become a farmer, given how wacky he must be in real life.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Every time this thread is bumped.

EA plz. :(

SSX 3 is my favorite sports games of all time and easily in my top 10 and Tricky is up there as well.

phpBB [video]

I swear to God.

EA.

plz EA!

At least Shenmue HD is being talked about. SSX is d-e-a-d. :(

Also, Suikoden never stops hurting. My favorite rpg series.

Konami, plz.
Last edited by Himuro on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 pm

All the interesting IPs that are lost to Konami... it's so sad.

EDIT:
All I want is Goemon back :(

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Himuro
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Would kill for a Goemon collection. The SFC games that weren't released in English need to be available in other languages. 4 in particular is a classic.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Skies of Arcadia.

Shenmue I & II.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (will NEVER ever happen people hate that game lol. I'm weird. :p)

Suikoden I & II just so I can own it on a modern platform with a physical copy.

Ocarina of Time, on a console. 3D is great and all, but I want it on the big screen. A Switch port would be ideal imo. (Ditto for Majora.)

DOOM 64, the forgotten, much maligned, yet imo epic classic Doom shooter. My favorite of the classic Dooms, easily.

Castlevania compilation.

Hexen... another neglected gem with too few re-releases imo. A full remaster would be beautiful, even if that's already doable with mods.

Morrowind. Remastered, with Skyrim style inventory management and menus. Maybe with added voice acting to replace some of the encyclopedic text, but only as an option.

A compilation of all the early Gradius games.

The original The Longest Journey and Dreamfall as a set.

D: The game.

Goldeneye 64 with modern controls and a new engine, with online functionality for its traditional multiplayer modes.

Sadly most of these will never happen. Hope for Shenmue and Zelda, though. :D

Himuro wrote: Every time this thread is bumped.

Also, Suikoden never stops hurting. My favorite rpg series.

Konami, plz.

YEEEES. :'(

ETA: Seems like a ton of Suikoden and Goemon fans in here which is oddly validating and comforting LOL. :)

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Himuro
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I'd love a Breath of The WIld HD remaster. Something with a buttery smooth 60fps with x8 AA in native 4k but 1080p minimum. With even Gamecube games like Twilight princess choking on WIi U hardware at 30fps however I'm guessing we'd need to wait for a Wii U emulator to happen before Nintendo made it happen.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Himuro
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KidMarine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 am

Anonymous81 wrote:Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (will NEVER ever happen people hate that game lol. I'm weird. :p)

What? Who hates that game? Tell me and I'll fight them.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Himuro
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Good one just occurred to me:
The Time Crisis series. In particular, Time Crisis 1, 2, 3, and Crisis Zone.
Graphically, they've never been all that phenomenal, so that's not really the reason I'd like to see a collection of remasters (unlike the other games I've posted). Rather, I'd like to see them remastered and re-released for the sake of functionality.
To get the most out of this series, it's essential that you play them with a lightgun; it's possible to play them with a button-based configuration on a regular controller, but moving a reticle around the screen is not how they were meant to be experienced. You were supposed to be moving your hands and arms around, literally aiming rather than pressing buttons.
Well, even if you have the old systems these games were on and the Guncons to go with them, the fact remains that they're only truly usable if you have an older TV as well; lightguns don't work with HDTVs.
I always thought this meant the games were doomed to fade into history and, eventually, never be played properly again. But see, there's this game on PSN called Blue Estate which is, itself, pretty much a lightgun shooter... except that it doesn't use a lightgun, nor does it make you manually slide a reticle around the screen with the analog stick.
Instead, it uses the motion sensor in the PS4 controller to detect where you're aiming, and represents that on-screen with a moving reticle. Obviously the motion sensor isn't the most accurate thing in the world, so if the aimer goes out of whack, all you have to do is press a specified button any time during gameplay, and it readjusts to the middle of the screen. It's actually very, very intuitive, and I've had a blast with what little I've played of the game (need to play more soon).
Remastering the Time Crisis games as a collection and implementing this kind of control scheme would help introduce the freakin' wonder of old-school lightgun shooters to a new generation, in just about as accurate a way as could be achieved on current consoles. And since the games always were pretty short (and not particularly heavy in graphical elements), the remastering itself wouldn't cost much or take long at all.
It'll never happen, but I think it's a damn good idea.

ImageImageImageImage
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:40 pm

OL wrote: ^^Can't help with the first game, but they do have Ape Escape 2 for PS4 on the Playstation store, which means it is upscaled to an extent. Not quite a full remaster, but it looks better than the PS2 version all the same.

phpBB [video]

I've never played an Ape Escape game (outside of a short demo many, many years ago) but I've been tempted by this.

ah, that looks pretty good.

ape escape is one of those games which when you complete it, you have to go through all the levels again to capture all the really hard to get monkeys.. can be frustrating but for some reason really rewarding.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:45 pm

I believe that for Time Crisis series, VR would be the way to go.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:02 pm

I wonder if a successfull Resident Evil 2 remake would lead to not only a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (which I'd love), but also something similar for Dino Crisis? How huge was Dino Crisis in comparison to RE?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Illbleed (Dreamcast)
I wish there were just more games like this. It's hilarious and creepy altogether, besides being totally original in concept. Deadly Premonition is a close comparison, but its game mechanics are really bare bones.

Oh, there's a bonus that should reel in Dojo member Sonikku to Illbleed ;-) :

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 pm

sand4fish wrote: I believe that for Time Crisis series, VR would be the way to go.

I honestly haven't been interested in VR much at all up to this point, but the thought of seeing the original graphics for these games in a fully-3D environment is kind of a turn-on. =P~
Might be a little odd, since they were originally designed so that you only see what the game wants you to see; meaning, turning your head in VR and looking at the rest of the environment would reveal locales that are strangely devoid of life, except for in the direction you're supposed to face. But all the same, would still be supercool to see the original games in a new light like that.

Monkei wrote:I wonder if a successfull Resident Evil 2 remake would lead to not only a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (which I'd love), but also something similar for Dino Crisis? How huge was Dino Crisis in comparison to RE?

Dino Crisis was big enough at first to justify its sequel; but then, the market was much smaller back then than it is now. I think after Dino Crisis 3 on the Xbox was a bit of a critical failure (and probably a financial one as well), and with Shinji Mikami no longer at Capcom to push anything forward, the series is probably dead as disco.
The existence of the Resident Evil 2 remake is justified by simple virtue of it being Resident Evil, but it'd probably take a miracle to get a similar treatment for something as culty and obscure as Dino Crisis.
Best we could probably hope for is some kind of simple, upscaled PSN release or something.

Speaking of both Dino Crisis and Time Crisis, though (and ignoring the fact that they both coincidentally have "Crisis" in their titles)... how about some motherfreakin Dino Stalker love?

ImageImageImage

Really cool game back on the PS2, which, if I understand it correctly, was similar to the Resident Evil: Dead Aim games (never played those, so I don't really know).
Using the D-pad and the side buttons on the Guncon2 you could freely move around this 3D world with tank controls and strafing, while also aiming at the screen to take enemies down, as with any standard lightgun shooter. Only other time I've played something like that was with the extra missions in the console version of Time Crisis 4, but that was really half-hearted in its implementation.
I think an updated Dino Stalker using dual analog sticks for movement and the motion sensor for aiming (as I mentioned with that game Blue Estate) would be pretty friggin' rad. Would be waaaaay more playable than the original was (it was always an interesting concept, but was really, really far from intuitive).
Another case of "It'll never happen," but it's a fun thought all the same.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming