Switch or PSVR

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 am

Kintor wrote:
south carmain wrote:It seems technologically limited compared to the competition from what I've seen.

Granted, PSVR is going to be weaker than either the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive. With that said, PSVR is still a huge step-up from mobile VR headsets, that alone makes it a compelling option for current gen VR experiences. Besides, the other advantage of the PSVR is that it's part of Sony's PS4 ecosystem, with a steady amount of new VR content being released every month via PSN that's guaranteed to work with every PSVR headset. Which has always been the strength of a dedicated home console over PC gaming, VR is no different in that regard.

You sound like you're trying to sell me it.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Kintor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 am

south carmain wrote: You sound like you're trying to sell me it.

That's hardly fair, you try to knock down the PSVR, I build it back up again. My point is that the whole VR tech debate is just an extension of the whole console vs PC gaming argument. So that while PC VR headsets might ultimately be more powerful the PSVR still has certain advantages in terms of usability and guaranteed software compatibility.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am

Kintor wrote:
south carmain wrote: You sound like you're trying to sell me it.

you try to knock down the PSVR

Did I offend you?
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 pm

south carmain wrote:
Sonikku wrote: I wouldn't bother with it personally. Even my Occulus Rift is looked down upon by Vive users, but it's still far superior to PSVR. The problem with VR is that the resolution is low enough that you can see the individual pixels. I can see them with the Rift, and the resolution is even lower on PSVR which would only make the issue worse. I'd say just wait for second gen VR hardware.

It's 720p if I'm not mistaken.

Actually I think its 720p when connected to base PS4 and 1080p on PS4 Pro.

Actually Sony just announced they are making a version 2 already. Better cable management, built in sound and some other improvements. Maybe same resolution though.
Specs haven’t be released I think.

So ya, good thing I got a Switch months ago. We atleast know that wont be constantly upgraded unlike VR headsets which at this point still look like an experiment.
Also surprisingly though in Japan, no matter where I go it’s always sold out. If it doesn’t hit in the west I guess Sony can rely on the east.
User avatar
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Fukuoka, Japan

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Sonikku » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Resolution aside, I think having a PC connected VR headset is nice because of the homebrew content you can use. Like exploring the Enterprise D interior! :D PSVR seems more like a closed system.
User avatar
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Kintor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Sonikku wrote: Resolution aside, I think having a PC connected VR headset is nice because of the homebrew content you can use. Like exploring the Enterprise D interior! :D PSVR seems more like a closed system.

When it comes to VR having a closed system isn't such a bad thing. I mean, homebrew stuff is great as a novelty but the quality control isn't always there; which is something of a serious issue in VR. At worst a glitchy PC game is unplayable but a glitchy VR game can make you physically ill thanks to 'simulation sickness' caused by irregular sensory information being received by your brain. Heck, even an unstable framerate in VR can be enough to make someone sick. This is why a curated ecosystem like Sony's PSVR is extremely important to make sure that early VR adopters have the best and most consistent experience possible.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:57 am

Axm wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Sonikku wrote: I wouldn't bother with it personally. Even my Occulus Rift is looked down upon by Vive users, but it's still far superior to PSVR. The problem with VR is that the resolution is low enough that you can see the individual pixels. I can see them with the Rift, and the resolution is even lower on PSVR which would only make the issue worse. I'd say just wait for second gen VR hardware.

It's 720p if I'm not mistaken.

Actually I think its 720p when connected to base PS4 and 1080p on PS4 Pro.

Actually Sony just announced they are making a version 2 already. Better cable management, built in sound and some other improvements. Maybe same resolution though.
Specs haven’t be released I think.

So ya, good thing I got a Switch months ago. We atleast know that wont be constantly upgraded unlike VR headsets which at this point still look like an experiment.
Also surprisingly though in Japan, no matter where I go it’s always sold out. If it doesn’t hit in the west I guess Sony can rely on the east.

ah I didn't know it was capable of doing 1080p. Yeah in terms of enjoyment you definitely made the right choice with the switch. The PSVR really just comes off as a novelty item tacked on as a gimmick for some games and will quickly become boring due to its limitations. I can see VR being worth it on PC thanks to the indie scene and its creativity as well as how much better the tech is but on Playstation minus a few exceptions the games all look like glorified tech demos.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Kintor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:02 am

south carmain wrote: ah I didn't know it was capable of doing 1080p. Yeah in terms of enjoyment you definitely made the right choice with the switch. The PSVR really just comes off as a novelty item tacked on as a gimmick for some games and will quickly become boring due to its limitations. I can see VR being worth it on PC thanks to the indie scene and its creativity as well as how much better the tech is but on Playstation minus a few exceptions the games all look like glorified tech demos.

We've been over this before, the true and lastly appeal of VR, the unrivalled sense of immersion that you can't get from any other form of technology. Even mobile VR can give people a taste of this but what PSVR offers is another whole level compared to that portable tech, while also being at a much affordable price than any of the PC based VR headsets. Many of the games on PSVR at the moment are arcade style, short and fast-paced, but that is going to continue to change as developers learn more about the systems potential. With time even full-fledged VR MMORPGs might be possible on PSVR, as the userbase continues to expand.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net