Mario Odyssey

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Mario Odyssey

Postby shredingskin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Nintendo is BY FAR the best developer around.

Not only they have some best selling franchises, but their design is always so on point, and the range of genres they do... and always with their own charm.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Thief » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:27 pm

I'd have to agree. At least as far as polish is concerned, Nintendo puts a lot of care into the quality of their product. Compare them to SEGA... and feel sad.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:00 am

shredingskin wrote: Nintendo is BY FAR the best developer around.

Not only they have some best selling franchises, but their design is always so on point, and the range of genres they do... and always with their own charm.

A pity that Nintendo is still being let down by the design flaws of their own hardware. Take a look at the Switch version of LA Noire, the digital copy is too big to fit on the Switch's small 32GB internal memory, while the cartridge copy needs a 14GB day one patch before you can even play it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ad-to-play

These skinflint practises keep undermining Nintendo at every turn, scaring away third-party support. Mario Odyssey is about the limit of what the Switch is capable of and it still falls behind a last-gen game like LA Noire. Going forward Nintendo could easily be looking at N64 type situation, a short burst of first-party games at launch then a long drought for the rest of the systems life; with Mario and Zelda already out of the way there isn't really anything else on the horizon.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:54 am

While I agree that I have the feeling that Nintendo always execute the games they want to do with utmost care and almost flawlessly, I wouldn't say they are THE one best developer.

There are certain genres other Japanese devs do better. I couldn't immagine Nintendo doing something like Persona 5, Final Fantasy 15 or Yakuza 0. A JRPG? No. A fantasy world adventure game? Yes. A "real word" action adventure game with "badass" human characters. No way Nintendo could pull off something like that. And we're not even talking about the GTAs, CoDs and Uncharteds of this world, because these are genres Japanese devs rarely touch.

There are certain types of games certain developers do damn well but I don't think there is the one best developer. A lot of people tend to call Naughty Dog or Rockstar "the" best developer but meh.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:59 am

Kintor wrote:

A pity that Nintendo is still being let down by the design flaws of their own hardware. Take a look at the Switch version of LA Noire, the digital copy is too big to fit on the Switch's small 32GB internal memory, while the cartridge copy needs a 14GB day one patch before you can even play it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ad-to-play

These skinflint practises keep undermining Nintendo at every turn, scaring away third-party support. Mario Odyssey is about the limit of what the Switch is capable of and it still falls behind a last-gen game like LA Noire. Going forward Nintendo could easily be looking at N64 type situation, a short burst of first-party games at launch then a long drought for the rest of the systems life; with Mario and Zelda already out of the way there isn't really anything else on the horizon.

Spot on, Nintendo always seems to have a one step forwards and two steps back policy. Nintendo Switch looks great but has a high price, high price accessories and a hardware setup that means you have to pay more on top just to get decent system space. I would love a switch but find it hard to justify the price post purchase.

On top of this, it has ridiculous online service which is somehow not even on par with the original Xbox which was released 16 years ago and no Bluetooth headphone support which I find mind blowingly stupid.

It's so frustrating because my best gaming memories are from Nintendo 64, I miss playing Mario games and in general, games with a bit of damn colour.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KidMarine » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Nintendo are by far the best developer around if you want to keep playing Mario and Zelda again and again and again.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 pm

^Before Odyssey and Breath of the Wild they had released three 3D Mario games and one Zelda game in the last 10 years on home consoles. People can claim they milk their franchises all they like but between Galaxy and Odyssesy how many Assassin Creed and Call of Duty’s have we had? That’s milking something.

I’ve not been the biggest fan of Nintendo’s output in recent years but even I’ve played plenty of other Nintendo games in that time. If you look at the list of Nintendo games and say there is nothing that interests you then it’s probably your problem not theirs, they cater to enough different markets that 95% of people will find something to like.

To answer Hyo Razuki Nintendo probably cover more genres then any other developer, I can’t think of many genres they don’t cover. To answer the ones you asked:

JRPG’s: Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Pokemon
Fantasy Adventure Game: Zelda.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 pm

KidMarine wrote: Nintendo are by far the best developer around if you want to keep playing Mario and Zelda again and again and again.

Koizumi announced they are making new IPs, so it might be worth keeping an eye out to see what comes of this.

Famitsu: Nintendo Switch users may be worried about next year’s lineup, with both staple titles such as Mario and Zelda, as well as new hit titles such as Splatoon having already come out for the system.

Yoshiaki Koizumi, producer of Super Mario Odyssey: Nintendo still have many IPs which have not come out for the system, and also more than just existing IPs in store as well. We are planning and preparing games that people probably haven’t even thought about, which will be released steadily over the next two years. We hope to make games which resonate with players using this process, so please patiently look forward to it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/29/yo ... ing-years/
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby punkmanced » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:32 pm

^ Honestly that would be great.
No one is criticizing Nintendo's ability to make quality, polished games...just their repeated use of the same tired old franchises/ characters, over and over and over and over.

Granted...Mario and Zelda are pretty damn great, but hot damn! I'd love to see that Nintendo quality extend to new IPs. It would make purchasing a Switch in the future a lot easier ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 am

Riku Rose wrote:
To answer Hyo Razuki Nintendo probably cover more genres then any other developer, I can’t think of many genres they don’t cover. To answer the ones you asked:

JRPG’s: Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Pokemon
Fantasy Adventure Game: Zelda.

Was my post misleading? I said yes, concerning the Fantasy Adventure, implying Zelda. I was talking about a "real word" adventure like Yakuza because that's something Nintendo can't do.

And Pokemon, isn't that Niantic? Anyway, even though it sells like crazy, there are many, many better JRPGs quality-wise than Pokemon, imho. And Atlus and Square can do better JRPGs than Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

Nintendo are the best developer in some genres and as far as polish is concerned they are pretty damn good. But still, there are many genres Nintendo either can't pull off at all or other developers do better. I don't think anyone is "the" best developer. There is no such thing.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 pm

It's misleading in more ways than one, because "realistic" is not really a gaming genre, and jrpgs have become a VERY niche genre that the only AAAs have been FF mostly, atlus just hit the nail with persona 3, and now is a big name, but before that it was middle tier in budget and recognition (even the SMT outside of persona come and go without much buzz).

But let's take it, in the rpg genre Nintendo has the mother series, mario rpg, golden sun, fire emblem, and xenoblade (and we can add gamefreak/pokemon there).
In strategy they have pikmin< in the FPS they have the prime series, in the third person shooter they have splatoon, in the fighting genre they have smash bros and now arms, In racing they have mario kart/fzero, in adventure they have zelda and animal crossing, in sports they have a wide range of mario titles with varying quality and well in platformers we all know the story.

It's such an amazing range of genres with damn good quality it's outstanding, no other company comes close. And what makes most of them stand out is that most of those are not following the trends, but make their own thing instead, Nintendo is such an unicorn.

Now I'm platying botw again, and fuck, Mario is "the better game", but Zelda just put the most popular type of game today to it's knees in such a way... Fuck it, the GOTY is really hard, I could put Odyssey as goty, but BotW as the most important game of the decade. The level of freedom in the game might as well be a new cornerstone in the games to come.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 am

I thought BOTW was great but it was lacking so much. Mainly greater enemy variety and more traditional dungeons. Those beast dungeons were ok but not in the top dungeons in the series. I can’t think of anything Odyssey is lacking aside from more significant late-game content. I was hoping for more than costumes but it’s such a joy to play anyway.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to General Gaming