Dark Souls Remastered

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Dark Souls Remastered

Postby OL » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 pm

It's a thing.

phpBB [video]

Haven't seen any screens or gameplay yet, but I think we know what to expect. It'll probably look a lot like Dark Souls. But remastered.
Honestly, I might be a little more hyped if they were doing Demon's Souls Remastered; not that it's the better game necessarily, but updating it would probably make the bigger difference. All the same, Dark Souls was a damn masterpiece regardless, so gimme 60fps in Blight Town and I'll be happy anyway. Plus, it'll probably include all the Artorias DLC as well, which I never got to play. So whatever, I'll be buying.

OL has received a thanks from: KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Dark Souls Remastered.

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Hello everyone, this is Kasumi Yogi from Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc., and we are excited to light the bonfire once again with Dark Souls: Remastered.

What does Dark Souls: Remastered bring to the table for long-time fans of the critically-acclaimed action role-playing game series? You can return to Lordran to re-experience the original Dark Souls in 4K resolution and HDR lighting when playing on PS4 Pro.

Whether you’re a die-hard fan of the Dark Souls series, or someone looking to take their first plunge into the series, you can experience an epic, dark fantasy universe stricken by the Curse in stunning, high-definition detail running at 60 FPS. Explore and build your character to create a unique gameplay experience with a wide variety of weapons, armor, and magic. Do you want to mercilessly slash away at your enemies, or devastate them with powerful spells? I say: Why not both?

Not only are the graphics getting an upgrade, but fans of the multiplayer experience in Dark Souls are also getting a treat in Dark Souls: Remastered. Instead of 1-4 players, six people can gather to either support or betray each other, finding a home among nine covenants online with dedicated servers. Which allegiance will you choose?

In this world, death is to be expected. From your first steps to complete mastery, refine your skills in battle. Learn to strategize freely and experience the rewarding taste of overcoming fearsome, daunting foes!

We can’t wait for you to roll and fight your way through powerful demons and tricky traps in Dark Souls: Remastered on May 25, 2018.
Just remember: You are never truly safe in the world of Lordran.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/01 ... s4-may-25/
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Calshot » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm

There's also a trilogy boxed set that includes Dark Souls remastered, GOTY editions of Dark Souls 2 or 3, two soundtrack cds per game, a set of bookends, a 1000 page encyclopedia, and some framed artwork.

Unfortunately, it's almost $500. I never played the PS4 version of Dark Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3, so I hope they put out a set with just the games in it so I can save some money instead of having to purchase the games separately.

OL wrote:

Honestly, I might be a little more hyped if they were doing Demon's Souls Remastered; not that it's the better game necessarily, but updating it would probably make the bigger difference.

I agree about Demon's Souls. I feel like it gets the least amount of attention in the series. With the servers for it being shut down in a month or so, I think it'd be a good time for a remaster and give people another chance to play online on improved hardware. Dark Souls is their money printer though so I see why they went with it.

OL wrote:
Plus, it'll probably include all the Artorias DLC as well, which I never got to play. So whatever, I'll be buying.

I'm surprised you haven't. The Artorias DLC is quality and fits pretty nicely with the rest of the game.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Thief » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Demon's Souls is the best of the series and everyone only ever talks about Dark Souls, which is unfortunate.

1.Demon's Souls had the best (most varied) bosses--not everything was a roll fest.
2.Demon's Souls was the least linear, insofar as you could choose whichever level you wanted to go to from the main hub.
3.Demon's Souls did not have that infuriating input-buffering.
4.I thought Demon's Souls had better and more unique music and NPC's and atmosphere overall.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Plus, a lot of the ideas in Dark Souls are just Demon's Souls Ideas... again.

The only thing worse about Demon's Souls is the stupid name. It should have just been called Demon Souls and it wouldn't awkward as eff to say. Too bad the game is largely forgotten and rotting on the PS3.

Anyway, I get frustrated because Demon's Souls is probably one of the best games I've ever played and the rest of the series is unfortunately... not. Although still good.

That said, sorry for mini/annoying rant, stoked for more Dark Souls 1.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 am

Hmmm, I tend to find Demon's Souls overrated by the fanbase nowadays.

Dunno if it's nostalgia for it being the first or anything, but that game definitely has the weakest boss battles in the series now next to Dark Souls 2. I think Demon's Souls may have the best level design though (neck and neck with Dark Souls 1). Wasn't big on the musical style either, much prefer Sakuraba's Dark Souls OSTs. I mean, don't get me wrong Demon's Souls is still a great game, just feel From have far surpassed it by now with both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1.

Also, Artorias of the Abyss may just be the game DLC I've ever played, alongside Bloodborne's Old Hunter DLC. They really enhance those games in a big way. I think the aspect in which Demon's Souls wins is by having the best story.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Deta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 am

For me DS1 is the strongest game of the series. Hopefully they add new weapons and armors. Otherwise I dont see a reason for a purchase.

I actually started with Demon's souls but never got to finish it on my first playthrough. The atmosphere for me wasnt nearly as good as it was in DS1. I felt like the regions in demon's souls were not connected. You couldnt travel from place to place without returing to nexus first.
Deta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Thief » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:but that game definitely has the weakest boss battles in the series.

I guess it's a matter of preference. Demon's Souls, I feel, had more creative and varied bosses, while Dark Souls, and those after, were mostly just variations of the standard pattern-based boss fights of dodge/hit. Neither is really better, I suppose, but I just preferred Demon's Souls's bossfights over the rest of the series.

I hope Demon's Souls and Bloodborne come to PC though, even though I doubt they will. It'll be a shame if they end up being stuck on console forever.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SickOctopus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Never played any of the Dark Souls games, but I'm interested in picking this up when it's out.

Started playing Nioh recently, which I've read is quite similar, and I'm digging the hell out of it. Safe to say I'll probably enjoy Dark Souls?
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby OL » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Probably. I mean, the combat systems are very different, but the general style of exploration/item management/leveling is very similar, yes.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

I wish this were Demon's Souls Remastered, but I appreciate the legal obstacles that preclude it.

I do not overrate Demon's Souls; I prefer it because it is more spiritual. Not figuratively. When I die, I want to be a force ghost -- whereas Dark Souls deaths are, in the immortal words of Brendan Fraser and John Hannah, juicy.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Return to General Gaming