What are the chances of Silent Hill PT being made?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

What are the chances of Silent Hill PT being made?

Postby asdfguy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 am

It's a shame the game got canceled. It had so much potential. I'm curious if there is any chance the game would be rebooted? Thoughts?
asdfguy
Asia Travel Representative

Re: What are the chances of Silent Hill PT being made?

Postby Mr357 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Death Stranding might be what you're looking for. Obviously it won't be exactly the same, but there's some fairly strong evidence that it's going to be a spiritual replacement. There's a long video I can dig up if you're curious.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: asdfguy
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm

It was pretty specifically a Kojima/Del Toro project, so with Kojima having separated himself from Konami... I'd say chances are close to zero. No doubt there will be another Silent Hill one day, but it won't be whatever they'd been putting together before.

There are some conspiracy theories to take a bit of solace in though. Some believe that Kojima's next game, Death Stranding, is pretty much taking up the reigns of his intentions with Silent Hills as it is. So whatever we would have seen in SH (conceptually, at least) may still be making an appearance in that (EDIT: Mr357 beat me to mentioning it).
Still others (myself included) believe that Kojima never actually intended to make Silent Hills a full game to begin with; rather, PT itself was made as a kind of artistic "resignation letter" from him to Konami. There's some really interesting, interpretive proof out there if you look it up.

Besides, I think PT stands pretty well on its own regardless, doesn't it? PT had its own horror gimmick of traversing the same hallways over and over as things slowly change and warp around you; a full game of that would be absolutely ludicrous (not in a good way). And if it wasn't going to be like that anyway, and was going to open up into a more traditional Silent Hill game... then why would PT hype us up for that? It'd be a completely different experience from what the "demo" showed us, and it was the "demo" that made us excited to begin with. So what would even be the point?
PT is pretty much its own game, and can fully be appreciated as such. Pining after a full on "Silent Hills" is kind of meaningless at this point.

OL has received a thanks from: asdfguy
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby asdfguy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, guys. I looked into Death Stranding and it doesn't seem like a Silent Hill type horror though. But, it still looks very interesting. PT was really promising. It really is a shame that game got canned.
asdfguy

Return to General Gaming