Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Kintor » Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

phpBB [video]


A bit of a suprise announcement. Walmart dropped the ball and accidentally revealed quite a few games today, one of them was Team Sonic Racing. So Sega went ahead and released this teaser trailer anyway. Sumo Digital is developing, so expect similar gameplay to the previous Sega racing games. No idea if water and air modes are making a return yet.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby sand4fish » Wed May 30, 2018 12:14 pm

Unfortunately from what I've read, this game is dropping all the Sega fan service from the previous racing games. So all Sonic characters but no Ryo Hazuki on this one.
User avatar
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Haruto » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Just Sonic characters. No thanks.
Image
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby OL » Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 pm

I've just never understood the concept of Sonic characters driving cars.
It's like having Aquaman driving a boat, or sticking Superman in the cockpit of a plane.
Image
User avatar
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Haruto » Wed May 30, 2018 11:58 pm

OL wrote: I've just never understood the concept of Sonic characters driving cars.
It's like having Aquaman driving a boat, or relegating Superman to the cockpit of a plane.


lol I had this in the 80s
Image
Image

Haruto has received a thanks from: OL
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Kintor » Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 am

OL wrote: I've just never understood the concept of Sonic characters driving cars.
It's like having Aquaman driving a boat, or relegating Superman to the cockpit of a plane.

It's mainly for gameplay balance. Sonic characters are all fast compared to other platformers but there is a vast difference between those speeds. The top tier characters like Sonic, Shadow and Blaze would be unbeatable in a fair race and nobody would want to play the other characters. Much more straightforward to give everyone cars, going all the way back to Sonic Drift in 1994.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby sand4fish » Thu May 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Kintor wrote:It's mainly for gameplay balance. Sonic characters are all fast compared to other platformers but there is a vast difference between those speeds. The top tier characters like Sonic, Shadow and Blaze would be unbeatable in a fair race and nobody would want to play the other characters. Much more straightforward to give everyone cars, going all the way back to Sonic Drift in 1994.


I don't follow your logic... It's like saying powerful SF characters according to lore like M.Bison, Akuma and Evil Ryu should have their arms tied up during a fight against average Joes like Dan, Birdie and Sakura, so the players can have a fair competitive match gameplay wise.
User avatar
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby KidMarine » Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 pm

No non-Sonic characters is obviously disappointing, but the last time that Sumo made a Kart racer they ended up making the best one of all time (fuck you Mario Kart), so I'm still interested.

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: dietsoap, James Brown
User avatar
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Kintor » Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 pm

sand4fish wrote: I don't follow your logic... It's like saying powerful SF characters according to lore like M.Bison, Akuma and Evil Ryu should have their arms tied up during a fight against average Joes like Dan, Birdie and Sakura, so the players can have a fair competitive match gameplay wise.

Street Fighter works from a gameplay perspective because it was always designed with multiplayer in mind. Even Street Fighter's single player mode is really just multiplayer with an AI controlling the opponent. Sonic is different though, these are single player games with often wildly different levels of speed and platforming abilities. Sonic Adventure makes this the most obvious, Sonic and Tails are so incredibly fast compared to Amy and Big that it wouldn't even be a contest. This is why giving everyone cars (or hover boards in the case of Sonic Riders) is the best compromise, no need to contradict the already established single player mechanics.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Haruto » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:28 am

Sonic 2 has a 2 player mode.
Image
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:16 am

Kintor wrote:Street Fighter works from a gameplay perspective because it was always designed with multiplayer in mind. Even Street Fighter's single player mode is really just multiplayer with an AI controlling the opponent. Sonic is different though, these are single player games with often wildly different levels of speed and platforming abilities. Sonic Adventure makes this the most obvious, Sonic and Tails are so incredibly fast compared to Amy and Big that it wouldn't even be a contest. This is why giving everyone cars (or hover boards in the case of Sonic Riders) is the best compromise, no need to contradict the already established single player mechanics.


It's already a contradiction having Sonic himself needing a car for a race. Besides the developers missed a big opportunity with the Sonic universe in these spin-offs IMO, as they could have made these racing games unique presentation wise at least by having these characters race on foot instead of being another Mario Kart lookalike. If you are so set in tying up lore to actual gameplay, just make the slow characters race on jetpacks or armor suits like how I'd imagine Robotnik doing it in the core games while leave Sonic unleash his key feature by running on foot.
User avatar
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Haruto » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:35 am

Kinda sad just as Mario Kart series is taking steps forward with Splatoon,Zelda,Animal Crossing and more Nintendo series and characters,Sonic takes a massive step back removing the celebration of SEGA.
Image
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby Kintor » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 am

sand4fish wrote: It's already a contradiction having Sonic himself needing a car for a race. Besides the developers missed a big opportunity with the Sonic universe in these spin-offs IMO, as they could have made these racing games unique presentation wise at least by having these characters race on foot instead of being another Mario Kart lookalike. If you are so set in tying up lore to actual gameplay, just make the slow characters race on jetpacks or armor suits like how I'd imagine Robotnik doing it in the core games while leave Sonic unleash his key feature by running on foot.

Well, the Saturn did have Sonic R, which had some characters on foot and some in cars; frankly it didn't work out very well. Don't get me wrong, I love Sonic R, especially it's epically cheesy OST. The problem with Sonic R was the gameplay, the characters on foot actually handled more like cars, with bad turning circles and limited directional control. That's why every Sonic racing game since has focused on a single vehicle based style of gameplay. Giving everyone cars or hover boards provides a more uniform and balanced gameplay. When every Sonic character uses the same mode of transport it can't be said that any has a gameplay advantage over the other.
User avatar
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby dietsoap » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am

I'd understand going all Sonic if this were Sonic R 2 or something, but it's not. It literally looks just like Sega Allstars Racing but without the rest of Sega. Gonna have to pass because of this, but the gameplay was great in the previous games, so maybe I'll still pick it up when it's like $5 during a sale or something.
User avatar
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: December 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital Developing

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am

Was about time they revealed what it is. Having that "R" teaser kinda made sense as it is more similar to Sonic R than the previous racers by Sumo Digital, with them just having Sonic characters.

I don't mind too much that they cut it back to be just a Sonic game but it currently looks like the gameplay will be much less unique than Transformed. Obviously you can't repeat every gimmick all the time but just cars is... basic.

I'll sure play it as Sumo Digital knows what they are doing and they've shown how to beat everyone when it comes to kart style arcade racing gameplay.
User avatar
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2008
Location: Germany
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net