Armored Core

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Armored Core

Postby Haruto » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:27 pm

So after Daemon X Machina got me so hyped as it's like Zone of the Enders X Armored Core and being developed by former AC staff. I got in the mood to play some Armored Core. I do own 4 and played it but I'm curious. I can only buy one and want your guy's input. Armored Core For Answer or should I get Armored Core Verdict Day? If wondering why I am leaving out the PS2,I am looking for an HD AC game.

Much obliged.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Armored Core

Postby OL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Armored Core V.
Verdict Day is great, but it's basically an expansion to Armored Core V. It's better if you have your AC built and geared up from the beginning, as is the case with any of the expansions in the rest of the series, and for that you have to play V.

I don't think you're going to like any of them regardless, but since you already said you didn't like AC4, the next one to logically try would be V (since For Answer, likewise, is basically an expansion to 4).

OL has received a thanks from: Haruto
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

My issue with 4 is the missions were so short like 5 minutes 10 at the most. 20-30 minutes would be ideal. I completed it but something felt off. Then again what do I know. I enjoy Front Mission Evolved. So maybe my opinion is moot.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Haruto wrote: My issue with 4 is the missions were so short like 5 minutes 10 at the most. 20-30 minutes would be ideal. I completed it but something felt off. Then again what do I know. I enjoy Front Mission Evolved. So maybe my opinion is moot.

AC4 and AC5 may as well be from different series the playstyle is so different in both. Miyazaki said he opted for a different style with AC4 and For Answer from the rest of the series (the movement is so much faster and lighter and more spent flying than any of the other AC games I've played up until now). AC1 is still charming in its own way, despite how "aged" it is (since it's on PSN, it's an easy buy). AC1 feels more "arcadey" I guess.

AC5 is definitely the one in the series where the mechs feel really heavy and bulky (and more powerful). Missions are also much longer too than AC4, which were made to be fast paced and snappy. Less boss battles too (AC4 was full of them).

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Haruto
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:32 pm

If one wanted to get into the earliest games, I do have a suggestion.
Most will find that the PS1 (and most of the PS2) games have a bit of a strange control scheme by default, where the shoulder buttons control camera movement up and down. Luckily, a weird hallmark of the series is the fact that you can customize the controls completely, so I always switch all camera control to the right face buttons, with foreward, backward, and left and right strafing on the D-pad. Still takes some getting used to, but it moves it closer to dual-analog control. Much simpler and more intuitive.

OL has received a thanks from: Haruto
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 am

Yeah 2 and 3 are great. Kinda hard to go to 3D mecha games on PS1 era although Bulk Slash is a pretty fun game. Killer soundtrack as well.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Haruto » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks fellas. I got ACV off ebay. :)
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Return to General Gaming